Clear all

Guitar withdrawal

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It's strange, there are times when I go a day or too without picking up a guitar or playing keyboard and it barely phases me. But since I'm out of town for work and don't have any musical instruments with me, it's driving me crazy. I haven't played since Sunday morning, a couple of hours before I got on a plane. It's Tuesday and I'm having withdrawal symptoms. There's a piano in the lobby of the hotel and I'm tempted to sit down at it every time I walk by. Even ignoring my lack of talent at keys, I don't think they would appreciated that. I almost brought my son's harmonica with me, now I wish I had. :(

About 25 more hours and I'll be home...

Bass player for Undercover

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Good reason to learn mandolin! Small, easy to take on a plane or a train .... :wink:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Same with the Internet: I go can without it at home for a few days but when I'm visiting someone or otherwise unable to connect, it nearly drives me bonkers with frustration.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I know exactly what you mean - a couple of years or so back, we had a four-day break in Amsterdam. Didn't take a guitar. I was fretting (ouch, sorry!) over it all weekend - I won't even consider an overnight stop nowadays without taking a guitar. Or preferably, two. You can be sure that every holiday/break I've been on since, I've took a guitar with me!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Traveling in the US, I just don't trust the TSA (Transportation Security Something). I'm afraid they will lose or steal my jeans, I can't imagine having one of my guitars under their control. If any of you work for the TSA, I apologize in advance but you suck.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

......If any of you work for the TSA, I apologize in advance but you suck.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not what you said, but how. Classic.
Teacher: Now apoligize Mr Martin.
Mr Martin: I'm sorry you suck.

As for the real thread, maybe it's like any other habit. You gotta do something with your hands. Knitting? Annoying habits of those cursed with anxiety? Smoking, maybe? Gun-play? Gotta be something. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Never had no probs, Vic? I'd do it, but it'd be a beater. Hmmmm, that covers my guitar rack....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I take my guitar everywhere, too. Would find empty(ish) compartments on trains so's I could play it while we drifted through endless green countryside (I'm sure trains in england involve slipping through an alternate universe where the countryside actually exists, its the only time I ever seem to see it).

once got paid 20 quid to play my Epi LP (no amp) on a very loud train between london and hastings. 4 bars of Oasis chords. easiest money I ever made. yep, the guys offering were pretty drunk, but I only agreed reluctantly, after they starting getting almost aggressive in their insistence I played.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I've got an inexpensive lap steel that I pop into my suitcase and bring along when I'm forced to travel for work.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Well I have a question about this if I was going a guitar on holiday with me would it survive between the time it was loaded on the plane and the time I got it back? I've heard some horrible stories about expensive guitars behind destroyed during travel so I've never dared take one.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

you can sometimes take them as carry-on ina gig bag, but its best to check first. of get a really decent hardcase, like a hiscox case (my hiscox is the best of the cases I've tried).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I bought a cheap hard case to take my Epi LP to Texas a few years back - it survived the trip there, and a lot of adventures there, but fell to pieces on the carousel at Gatwick on the way back - had to cadge some strong tape from one of the airline people and wrap it thoroughly. The guitar survived - but there were plecs, strings, capos, slides and paper everywhere... moral of the story, buy a GOOD hard case if it's going in the hold. The baggage handlers don't give a toss - they figure everything's insured anyway.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

last september I went on a two week wilderness backpacking trip with my buddies. one other guy was a player like me. so I brought along two soprano ukes. I am diggin what only four strings can do.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote