Clear all

Guitarist Biographies

20 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@angryelephant3)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if anyone knew of any guitarist biographies. I just got done reading one about Jimi Hendrix and I found it pretty good. So if anyone has any thoughts please share...it doesn't matter who really its on. Thanks :D

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Umm...Jimi Hendrix died before he got the chance to write a biography. But, im just bustin' your chops. I know what you mean. "Eric Clapton Anthology" was a good read. Honest and enlightening. Thats the only biography by a musician that I have read so far. I highly recommend it.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that's "autobiography". a "biography" can be written by anyone.

anyway, bob dylan recently wrote an autobiography, "chronicles", in three or 4 parts, i believe. everyone has said that it's good.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have volume 1...are the other volumes out yet???

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Try "Guitar Man" by Will Hodgkinson:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747577455/qid=1149320157/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/202-3437991-3606210

Its about a guy who buys a guitar and commits to doing a gig 6 months later. The guy meets a lot of famous guitarists along the way. Its entertaining and semi-educational as I learned a bit about a fair few guitarists. I enjoyed it anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I read an Alice Cooper one years ago, now that was good reading lol...

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Try "Guitar Man" by Will Hodgkinson:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747577455/qid=1149320157/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/202-3437991-3606210

Its about a guy who buys a guitar and commits to doing a gig 6 months later. The guy meets a lot of famous guitarists along the way. Its entertaining and semi-educational as I learned a bit about a fair few guitarists. I enjoyed it anyway.
I started it on Friday, liking it so far.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

This isn't a guitarist but a GREAT book on Jim Morrison of the Doors No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins & Danny Sugerman is a great read. I read this way back in high school. Jim Morrison was one SICK dude!

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i think angryelephant is talking about "excuse me while i kiss the sky" which i
have read and is an awsome book about hendrix 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Can't be Satisfied, its about Muddy Waters

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A co-worker of mine is currently reading an autobiography by Bill Wyman, bassist for the Rolling Stones. He told me a little about it, sounded really interesting, lots of early history of the band. He promised to loan it to me when he's done, I can't remember the title though.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

This isn't a guitarist but a GREAT book on Jim Morrison of the Doors No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins & Danny Sugerman is a great read. I read this way back in high school.

I read this one back in high school, too... in 1980 when it was first published. :wink:

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

There's a cool bio on Jeff Buckley and his old man Tim called Dream Brother. It separates their lives chapter by chapter, like first one on Tim, then Jeff, then back to Tim - it's really well done. I am a huge Jeff Buckley fan though so not sure how amazing it would be to somone who's not. (When I was in Memphis a couple years back I visited the house he was living in when he died, his memorial plaque at the Memphis Zoo and where he went swimming and drowned. - I know, i'm a sad case.....but what can you do?)

I also read a great unauthorised bio on Henry Rollins. Can't remember what it was called but there was some crazy stuff in there.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The Real Frank Zappa Book

Although Frank participated in the writing of it, he insisted that it's not an autobiography.

It was a good read, and gave a fair bit of insight into what made Zappa who he is.[/url]

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@villanovajunction)
Eminent Member

A FANTASTIC Jimi Hendrix biog is "Jimi Hendrix: Musician" by Keth Shadwick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879307641/103-6596996-4687842?v=glance&n=283155

Like the title suggests, it focuses on his musicanship first and foremost whilst still including his roots and rise. Shadwick also deconstructs (to a certain extent) various songs showing Hendrix's unique approach to his songs. There's also a few pages at the back titled "Hendrix Gear" which goes into the tools of the trade that Hendrix used to achieve his sound.

I thoroughly recommend it.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." Jimi Hendrix.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2