Clear all

guitars!! and wat one to buy??

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Recently i have inheriteda wholelotof money>..... in factsomuch money that i can buy any guitar that i want to.. So as u guys have so much experiiance and i don't causei am only 11. Wat guitar should i buy?? thx

Woot Woot!!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i am confused, or maybe you are, are you 11 or 13? in your other thread you claimed to be 13 now you say you are 11?
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?p=273325&highlight=#273325
have you found the fountain of youth?

since you have a "wholelotof" money i suggest you buy one of each :roll:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

First, I'm going to assume that by "wholelota" you mean several thousand dollars, since top end hand-made guitars regularly run into the $20k range.

Regardless of if you're 11 or 13, my advice is to find a good electric in the $300 range and put the rest of the money in a CD, bond, or other investment vehicle so that you can't touch it till you're 18 years old.

Then I suggest you forget it's there.

When you're 18, if after you've paid for college you still can buy any guitar you want, then at that point, you'll have a much better idea of what you need for the kinds of music you like to play.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sorry if i was a bit glib ,but i have a hard time taking someone who doesn't know how old they are seriously.

What KP posted is very good advice, in other threads you said you took lessons for 2 years, and have a Telecaster, since you already have a single coil type guitar why not try one with humbuckers?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Regardless of if you're 11 or 13, my advice is to find a good electric in the $300 range and put the rest of the money in a CD, bond, or other investment vehicle so that you can't touch it till you're 18 years old.
Good advice anyway, but especially so the guitar part. A beginner will barely benefit at all from a hugely expensive guitar, although they'll often assume they will because the opposite is true - you have disadvantage from learning on an awful but cheap one.

If you're lucky enough to have unlimited budget, go to the nearest shop with a wide selection, play every last guitar they have (ignoring the prices!) and leave with the one you like best :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

How do your parents feel about all this?

Have they invested in a spell checker yet? :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Nooooo its not that. What happened was that i was at school and the space bar was broken! And i am 11 but i get confused as i am a bit on the *dumb side*. lol.

Woot Woot!!

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Or maybe his parents told him not to say how old he was, but at this age you always feel tempted to tell your age (I would know, I was his age on the internet before lol). Despite this, he still is unsure of what age to say he is. He might be 9, he might be 14. But lets go with 11.

On the guitar, I don't know. To a kid $40 could be a lot of money. How much do you have to spend?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Ok Chris consider that you are about to grow, fast. In 2 years you can find yourself a 6 footer like golf's child phenom Michelle Wie.

Even if you are the second coming of Stevie Wonder it does not make sense to go all out on another temp guitar. Whatever you get now may seem small or just the wrong size in a few years.Try to hold most of that money for later.

Music message boards seem a bit different then other BBSs but generally you don't use your own name as a user name. Just a tip.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Nooooo its not that. What happened was that i was at school and the space bar was broken! And i am 11 but i get confused as i am a bit on the *dumb side*. lol.

How would a space bar problem cause you to say 11 on one post and 13 in another?... Odd but humorous.

Anywho... what the others have said is so true. Assuming you inherited ALL the worlds money supply my advice would be the same. Get a decent starter acoustic or electric and learn to play it while investing your money WISELY. When you are 18 you'll probably still be too young to understand how to wisely use your money so.. let it grow til your in your 30s.. Work HARD until then.. at that point.. get a decent guitar if you still want to.. Odds are that if you practiced on your starter guitar up to this age then you will not really care as much.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

let me guess, your parents are going to let you blow all this money right?, this site gets better by the minute lol

first i read in a post, that gear has nothing to do with tone, now we have a kid that doesn't know weather he is 11 or 13, and
is rich, this has been a very unusual day lol

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

let me guess, your parents are going to let you blow all this money righy?, this site gets better by the minute lol

first i read in a post, that gear has nothing to do with tone, now we have a kid that doesn't know weather he is 11 or 13, and
is rich, this has been a very unusual day lol
ROFL Right on ROCKER!!.. I think the icy conditions have tilted the world on its AXIS!! Atleast here in the midsouth

WOOT

WOOT

Jim

WOOT

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

JIM,

i heard you guys had it real ruff, you guys got power yet ?

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

first i read in a post, that gear has nothing to do with tone
Must've missed that one while I was busy playing death metal on my Tele & Twin Reverb :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

JIM,

i heard you guys had it real ruff, you guys got power yet ?

I think most of it is back on. Here in OKC it never went off. But in the south east of the state they got freezing rain and it took out the power lines.

Thanks for asking bud.. Its really bad in some parts of the state and in Missouri too I hear. Worst thing is that we are getting more starting tomorrow or Fri.

Jim

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2