Clear all

Harshly un-rockin' post.

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is the least rock and roll thing I've ever discussed. I can actually feel my punk cred slipping away. But never the less, I'd like to bring up the subject of earplugs.

I attend many a show and have recently become concerned about possible damage. My problem is as follows; I obviously don't want to stop going to shows, and I feel that later on I'll be glad I had the earplugs. However, I still have to keep up appearences (after all, appearences are the most important thing in the world) so I'd need plugs that are low-key (so foam, neon ones won't do).

I'd love to hear any suggestions and thoughts on the matter.

The best ones I've seen so far have been Etymotic- http://www.etymotic.com .

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Wear 'em if you feel you need to.

I would if I was concerned with the ringing in my ears.....

Wha? Huh? ;) ;)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Huh, what did you say. I think I heard something kinda sounded like a phone I think.

I know it is not perfect but I just take cotton with me and when I feel my ear drums starting to touch each other I use that. There are some really good almost invisible ones that you can get in almost any gun shop.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This is the least rock and roll thing I've ever discussed. I can actually feel my punk cred slipping away. But never the less, I'd like to bring up the subject of earplugs.

I'd love to hear any suggestions and thoughts on the matter.

I deal with tinnitus and moderately severe hearing loss every day from 15 years of daily exposure to high levels of noise. It's no fun. Wear the earplugs. I wish I had. Once your hearing's gone, it never comes back.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Every time your ears ring after a show, you've permanently lost hearing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I think Ill start wearing them. But can you recommend any quality brands?

And while we're on the subject- Headphones: I understand that earbuds are the worst, as far as damage, and the noise canceling earbuds are supposedly better. But are they better than over the ear headphones?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Total Guitar magazine mentioned the Alpine Music Safe Earplugs last month. The review reads "MusicSafe earplugs protect your hearing at rehearsals/gigs without affecting the clarity of the music."

GBP 13.99 including carry case.

http://www.sensorcom.com

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Go with the gun shop ones IMHO - they're cheap, and they work. If you think guys need to be able to communicate on a shoot, they're pretty good at allowing you to hear, but not be deafened.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Screw looking "cool." I'd rather have my hearing. If you're "punk," you shouldn't give a $#%^& about "cred," anyway. Go with the gunshop plugs, that's what I use. Or wear the big ear muffs. I've got some bright blue ones with "S&W" on the ear cups. There's a fashion statement.
8)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Screw looking "cool." I'd rather have my hearing. If you're "punk," you shouldn't give a $#%^& about "cred," anyway. Go with the gunshop plugs, that's what I use. Or wear the big ear muffs. I've got some bright blue ones with "S&W" on the ear cups. There's a fashion statement.
8)

LOL, mine are red.

They match my guitar. :wink:

Mine also say S&W. That stands for "say what?", right? :D

Another way to look cool with headphones on is to mount antenna's to them. :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The S&W muffs don't reduce the noise quite as much as the foam plugs and are better for being able to hear what's going on. (I think they're rated at -25 dB. The plugs are -29 dB.) They're designed for pistol shooting and are pretty marginal for shooting rifles. When I shoot my .300 Weatherby, I'm happiest with foam plugs under the muffs. But the muffs are actually perfect for a loud concert. I think I'm going to go that route in the future, actually, as the plugs get rather uncomfortable by the end of a long concert. I have to take 'em out and let my ears "breathe" during intermissions.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Another way to look cool with headphones on is to mount antenna's to them. :roll:

And then stick propellers on the antennae!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't want to lose hearing. I don't want to lose my street cred. So I rarely visit big concerts and leave if the local pub bands play too loud. Atleast the local orchestras don't use silly volume levels so I can get to hear some live music every now and then, but I'll have to sneak in there in disguise or else my credibility is still gone...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ok here's from http://www.blackbeltguitar.com -

"From all of this, we hope you take away one important item. Take care of your ears! Very loud sounds above 130 dB can cause permanent diminished hearing, as can prolonged exposure to sounds above 80 dB. Most often this hearing loss is not total, but prolonged exposure to loud music does lead to diminished hearing at the high end of our hearing range first, so music and voices begin to sound a little muffled at first, then it can render us deaf to subtle overtones in both music and speech that give music and speech their rich qualities.

Wearing hearing protection in noisy work environments, in airplanes, and especially at rock concerts makes you makes you a smart person, not a baby. If you think your friends will laugh at you for wearing foam ear plugs, its because they were too stupid to think of it themselves, so buy enough for everyone, and you'll all have more fun. Nobody will miss the ringing in the ears for a day or two after the concert. Foam ear plugs diminish the sound intensity by 20 - 30 dB, which is just enough in most cases to prevent pain and damage, while still enjoying the full range of frequencies.

Remember Pete Townsend? Guitarist of the once loudest band ever... The Who? See that hearing aid in his ear? Wonder how it got there? You get the point."

Hope it clears something...

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Foam ear plugs diminish the sound intensity by 20 - 30 dB, which is just enough in most cases to prevent pain and damage, while still enjoying the full range of frequencies.

Problem with the foam ones, in my experience, is that they slip out too easily.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2