Clear all

Head Phones Usage Question

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, does it hurt to leave headphones plugged into something that can output to external speakers and a headphone at the same time? I always left my old ones plugged into my music PC and they lasted me for years. They were $25 and I really couldn't have been bothered to properly maintain them. My new ones are $150 and is tons better on sound quality. I don't want them to wear them out. I use them about 25% of the time I'm playing through my multi-effects unit. The rest of the time I use speakers (or an amp for the old system).

I'm wondering if handling them and plugging them in and out whenever needed or not needed is harder on them than just leaving them hooked up?

Any thoughts? what would you do. leave 'em plugged in or take them out when not using?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I unplug them when not using. If there is no sound or the equipment is off, I guess it will not be any problem. If there is sound, they will be working and as they have moveable parts, they will suffer the usual wearing (wearing?).

Once I did read that the headphones need some time to get the best sound, they spoke on a "burning stage". They recommended to leave them plugged and working several hours. It seems it improves the sound. They don't say if the sound could be worst if they are always plugged.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Interesting point from Nuno.

I've read the same thing about headphones responding better when they've been 'played in' for a while. Presumably the cones (?), or whatever parts that move, start out a little stiff from new and respond better when they've done a few hours of flexing? I suppose at some stage they start to lose a bit of their elasticity and flex. But, with modern materials, I've no idea when that might become an issue.

I seem to recall reading that they usually improve over the first hundred hours or so, but the life should be measured in thousands of hours.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So it looks like I should leave them in and just guesstimate XXX number of hours and then start managing the volume. Zero it out unless I'm using them starting maybe the beginning of the year. sounds like a plan to me.

Thanks, guys. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I have a set of AKG 240's and they are always plugged in. Sometimes the volume gets pegged (when not wearing them, of course) yet I'm still not having any issues and they are going on 10 years old.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

YES! They do "settle in". The laminations on the coils vibrate and finally find a home. BUT!!! You'd only notice this if you have exceedingly acute hearing and your phones are really top quality. I use Beyer 770's...5Hz to 35KHz...and had my bad ear fixed!

Don't spend any time over it...only your run-of-the-mill Golden Retriever would really notice.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote