Clear all

How do you prefer to listen to music?

26 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@jocko)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I like to listen alone, with headphones, reasonably loud. I imaging I am fronting a band populated by friends and workmates playing for other friends, relatives and workmates. Band members come and go as moods change. I even have a small brass section and backing vocals as required. I play the righthand channel guitar (so I dont necessarily get all the best guitar parts) and occassionally I will "guest" on bass or even drums. Well everyone needs a fantasy! Anyone else got a confession to make?

45 years playing and still rubbish.

(@rahul)
Famed Member

I play guitar along with the headphones to any song that i like.Even if it means just playing 3 -4 chords , yet , it gives an idea of the song.

The mp3 cd player is a wonderful invention...

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I do hope "reasonably" means "within reasonable limits". You've got to think of your hearing. I plug the cd player into the amp and play along, unless my daughter's practicing piano. Then I use headphones.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My computer's upstairs in the spare room, as are my guiyars and amps - I have quite a large playlist on the computer, so I like to play along - I don't play that loud, sp I don't usually need headphones till late at night.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I'm like vic, I have all my CD's downloaded to my hard drive on the PC plus all the stuff I have downloaded from the net (Legally).I have a stereo receiver hooked up to the sound card. I mostly use the headphones for recording. --" Srew the neighbors" :twisted: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Also like Vic: everything on the pc and not that loud. I live in a tiny appartment so the sound fills the room very quickly so no need to go uber loud. I don't prefer headphones very much since I know I like to get more volume out of it then my ears really want.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Rockin' out in the car by myself with the windows down.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Rockin' out in the car by myself with the windows down.

Thats a good method too :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

in the car, in the springtime. windows down, sunroof open. volume cranked.

or

headphones on, resting on the bed, eyes closed, at a nice easy soft volume.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Still prefer to listen on my CD player hi-fi wassed up to 8 on the volume when nobody else is in the house (Which is rare these days).

Took me ages to graduate from vinyl to tape and then to CD's. Never seem to have the time often though to sit and listen to a whole album like I used to before marrage twentysix years ago closely followed by children.

I do still get a buzz though losing myself in a classic album such as "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Rubber Soul" or "Abbey Road". I'm probably a sad person because I'll put the CD on then get the vinyl album cover, sit down clutching it lovingly and reading the sleeve notes. Well have you tried reading the notes from a CD case.

I haven't put much on the computer to listen to, it seems to make it all "so disposable" and music isn't to me.

Oh dogsbody!! you need help!!

Peace to all

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I'd say the car thing. But I'd like to add road trip. Driving far away to someplace you want to be without the roof, and with the windows rolled down and the music cranked up. Watching the country, the cities, and the small towns roll by while pink floyd, or any number of other bands, cranks out your favorite cd and disapears behind you at 80 mph.
All other music listening pales in comparison to this, in my opinion.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

i'm not a fan of headphones so for me it's through the PC sound, sitting with a strong coffee and a sigarette or a beer. Just sitting and letting it kinda wash over you.
I find that relaxing.

I also enjoy "racing" back home after work on a quiet night listening to pantera's Fuc*^*g Hostile :) man my car is screaming by the time i get home. I remember the one time i stopped to open the gate and as i looked back the smoke was pouring out the brakes ..... ahhh how the memories warm my heart :)

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I usually put most things on either the big stereo in the living room, or the home stereo system in my bedroom. I play along sometimes, but not that often. I have my mp3 player for carrides, and unproductive classes.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

Stereo, car radio, computer or disc player at work... One of the first things in the morning is turning on the radio or picking out a cd to play. Whereever I drive, the radio or cd player is always going. When I'm surfing GN, the computer is usually playing from my library or one of the Rhapsody virtual radio stations. Sometimes I just have to hear one of the old tunes and I pull out the vinyl that I refuse to give up. Usually it's just background music, on occasion I share my music with the neighbors :twisted: . The last thing I do at night is start up the cd player on the bed's headboard and fall asleep to music. CD's, vinyl, radio, streaming or on my ipod, I just have music going all the time. Life without it would sound strange. :?
Dave

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

LOUD!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2