How good are you ?

32 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ok, so how do you know how good you are ? Do you say like Oh well I can play this and this and this and I can do this and that and other, but all that is like relative to how much time you have practiced doing this and that and this.

For example....

My friend knows alot of songs, and when we are playing he says, okay man lets play this song, and Im like okay, tell me the chords in the right order, then play it, or just tell me the beats I have to hold the chord for and give me two minutes. Its easy, because I can handle most chord changes, unless its A minor 9 <--- I really hate this chord ( well I hate the voicing I love of this chord ) I love how it sounds, hate how difficult it is ^^.

So the point is; I do that, and its just something Ive picked up by learning alot of stuff on the fly, I can handle most changes in Standard Tuning, if not I will just resort to using barre chords, even if I prefer the sound of open chords. Strumming Patterns are easy, just tell me what beat to stress and Ill do it, or just play something you want me to repeat.

My teacher has taught me to do that and I love him for that ^^, he is just so random, and so quick Im used to it .

Now my friend is great at finding stuff by ear damn, he can get stuff in like 15 minutes while it takes me 30 minutes ( Ive improved alot in using my ear though, it used to take me a long time before! ) but I guess he is used to learning that way.

And so on he is better at some things and I am better at other things . SO my point is, how can you measure who is better when you everybody is so different.

And also, what IS better O_O, my friend and I play differently, you can know by just listening that it is me playing and not him, because I do some things that are just part of me like alot of percussive strumming, I got tha groove O_O, but my style is not necesarily better than his.

SO yeah try to find the point in all this... thanks :D

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I am good enough that playing the guitar gives me pleasure and that is all that is necessary. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I am good enough that playing the guitar gives me pleasure and that is all that is necessary. :wink:

+1 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I am the best player in my house. Should it matter that I am the only player?

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

last week sunday I was great. I could play so well I surprised myself.
all this last week I totally vacuumed. I feel so flat and uninspired.
that's the guitar journey.
hopefully next week I'll feel the rock star again.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Not good enough and don't think I ever will be. I do have fun so by TR's criteria I must be good enough but I'm really not. I mean I don't sux or anything but I'm no where near the guitar player I'd like to be and I use the word guitar player very carefully because I DO NOT and probably never really will consider myself a musician but I'd like to at least be a decent guitar player.

For me the two biggest things are the lack of speed (in terms of playing very fast solo's) and the ability to improv good solo's. I'm limited on both counts and all I can do is try to keep working on them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

+2

I'm good enough to get the occasional round of applause when I play out as a soloist too - that's a really nice one to get and makes you feel sooooooo good.

But, outsiders like to look at pieces of paper as evidence, so I have a Certificate on the wall which says I can play little black dots to a pretty decent level and memorise an advanced piece for public performance, but it's a hard slog to do that and I still struggle to work out songs from listening to the CD.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Not very good.

I am better than someone who can't play; I am better than I was when I started; but otherwise I am not very good at all. I am not very good because I need practice, practice and lots more practice. My weakness is chord changes. I can change many open chords easily, but some are difficult... B7, Am to Dm, anything to E7 (it's getting the pinky down properly). Most other open chords are OK.

I'm not proficient in making barre chords the first time. I know how they are formed, and if I am using mostly barre chords up and down the neck I am OK because I just slide. I'm playing Instant Karma that way A F# (3x) F G A as barres. Kind of fun anyway. :) It's making it the first time after an open chord, or changing from an E shape M or m to an A shape M or m and vice versa that is slow for me. I read a trick about making the E or A shape first with your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers, then making the barre. I've been trying that with Bm and it seems to help.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good enough to get pleasure out of playing; not good enough to be totally satisfied, and probably never will be.

Good enough to be able to put music to my own songs - although a lot of the time I think I could have done more.

Good enough to be able to pick up a song by ear - unless it's a pretty complicated one.

Good enough so's I know my limitations and can play to my strengths - and hopefully good enough to improve on the areas I know I need to work on.

Good enough for now - but tomorrow, hopefully, I'll have learned something new.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm not as good as I was in my late teens and early 20's (my fingers were more limber then), but I'm good enough to play onstage for money. I'm not as good as I would like to be, but to misquote the Beatles "I'm getting better all the time". Even if I couldn't play as well as I can, I would still do it because of the sheer joy that comes along with it. I'll never be a "star", but I don't want to be one, either. Sitting on the back patio all by myself watching the sun come up (or go down) while playing my acoustic is my absolute favorite time to play. I guess I'm as good as I need to be to satisfy me.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am pretty good. until.... I have been recording and putting my songs up on soundclick for awhile. when I am recording I feel pretty good. however, I burned my recordingsd to disc and went on a road trip. all alone in the truck for an hour listening to myself I had to turn the CD player off. I could not listen that long to a whole CD of myself.
back to the drawing board.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

average at my absolute best.

But my daughter who is 1 thinks i'm awesome :lol:
if fact, when my wife picks up her little ukulele i bought over the weekend she snatches it off her and brings it to me to play :D :D

i love it!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Al,

Your lucky by the time she grows up you will have improved so much by then that you actually will be awesome but it was different with my kids who are also girls, they were teenagers when I started playing and many of their friends are in bands so there was no WOW factor when they listened to me. Matter of fact the middle one who moved to LA about a year and half ago came home for a visit last month. I told her to stop by and listen to the band...she asked me if I could play a whole song yet :( :roll:

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wow lol lots of replies... guess u guys are right.

Nobody answered the initial question though :P. How do you know how good you or a person is ?

Thanks for the replies :D.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i am absolutely,positively, without a doubt, better than i think i am.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3