Clear all

How Many Guitars is Enough?

100 Posts
37 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@blueline)
Noble Member

(sad sounding orchestral music playing in the background)

Friends, it is with a heavy heart that I come to you with news of owning only 2 guitars. Yes, I am one of the unfortunate ones. As you can see, I am unable to comment with any sense of context as to how many guitars are “enough”. Statistically, guitar owners on GN have reported that they own anywhere from 6-21 guitars. The alarming news is that these numbers do not include Nick!

I am sure you would agree that owning a 23 year old Ovation and a Gibson LP Custom is not nearly enough for a person to survive. My dog, “Arpeggio” (wiping tears away from face) loves music. He loves to hear me play and sadly, can not experience the full spectrum of sound due to the limitations of my collection. Look at his face….Awwww

I urge you to make a donation. For only a few cents/pence per day, you can make a dog happy. Please send your donations to the “Get Blueline More Stuff Fund” and you can ensure that you will be able to sleep better at night knowing that your money went to a good cause.

:lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

2 Fender Strats MIM - 1 Yellow, 1 Red
2 SX Strats - 1 Red, 1 Natural Mahogany
2 Agiles - 1 AL-3000 RB, 1 AD-2000 black
1 Squier Affinity Strat, black
1 Squier 51, 2T sunburst
1 Fullerton w/ Ibanez v7 and v8 pups, Black
1 Peavey Mystic, Natural
1 Hohner Strat Copy, Red
1 Floyd Rose DSOT-2, Blue
1 Agile Strat, body isn't Agile, only the neck.
1 Synsonics Acoustic, Natural
1 Ovation Applause Acoustic, Black
1 Titan Fat Strat Copy, Brown Walnut color.
1 First Act Beginners Acoustic, Small, J-45 copy.
2 SG bodies that neeeeeed to find a way to eBay.
2 Bass bodies that also neeeeed to go to eBay.
And a bunch of pickups and parts.

Several of these guitars that I just don't need/want. I will eventually get around to selling them.

How many do I need. Well, I like Nick's formula: f=x+1.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Unfortunately for Nick this theory had been proven many years ago.
(around the time of the invention of the electric guitar)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^^LOL

Thanks for that

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LMAO - great pic, Lefty!

Blueline - is your dog REALLY called "Arpeggio?" LOL, great name!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm plumb out of GAS.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

LMAO - great pic, Lefty!

Blueline - is your dog REALLY called "Arpeggio?" LOL, great name!!!

:D :D :D

Vic Seems pretty normal to me vic my 4 are Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Minnie the Moocher and Little Queenie

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

My dog, “Arpeggio” (wiping tears away from face) loves music. He loves to hear me play and sadly, can not experience the full spectrum of sound due to the limitations of my collection. Look at his face….Awwww

I urge you to make a donation. For only a few cents/pence per day, you can make a dog happy. Please send your donations to the “Get Blueline More Stuff Fund” and you can ensure that you will be able to sleep better at night knowing that your money went to a good cause.

:lol:
:lol: You know, that approach might just work.... Nice-looking dog, BTW.

I was going to say that 2-5 guitars is enough, but then I counted up what I have--well technically they are shared between son and I, but I paid for them all-- because I think I have just enough and no compelling GAS, and I find that I fall into the 6-10 category, all told. (3 acoustics, 4 electrics and 2 basses)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I fall into the 6 to 10 category as well (sheesh, when I first started logging on this site, one was plenty). :shock:
I'm at 4 now, but another 3 are just an idle day away.
I'm a mix of Noteboat and Vic's armada. You need:
1 HB
1 SC
1 semi Hollow
1 acoustic
1 additional electric and 1 acoustic down tuned
1 bass
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

NoteBoat,

You forgot stylistically different sounding guitars. Gypsy jazz guitars and flaminco guitars, for example.

I'd also argue that you need an amplified archtop and an accoustic archtop for mic'ing.

I'm pretty sure the optimum number is around 20 give or take 2-4 guitars depending on how many genres of music you indulge in.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'm having trouble understanding the question: "How many guitars is enough?" :? Can you put those words together like that? :P

5 guitars at the moment, and I still need a few more! :)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My Line-up:

MIM Tele: Open-G, like Vic's.
MIM Strat: Loaded with hotter than stock p/ups.
Epi LP: My main and favorite.
Epi SG: Loaded with SD p/ups
Taylor Accoustic
ESP LTD: Tuned to a Linkin Park tuning.
Ibanez GAX-70: Some meaty p/ups in that one too

Would not have the ESP if it didn't fall in my lap.

I can imagine myself with one or two more, but no burning desire. A 12-string and maybe another Strat (with the Gilmour EMG set-up).

I'm pretty much done for now aside from those two I mentioned. I've been focusing on the other end (amps, pedals) and playing. Oh, and theory. I just got noteboat's book.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

it's too bad i can't play the guitar better because i have seven of 'em. three acoustics, three electrics and a bass.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Nick's formula works for me, and I love your pic, TwistedLefty!!! :lol:

Laughing all the way to bankruptcy, I voted in the 21+ category. My guitar total is currently 23 (yep...like the Jim Carrey movie...). I own 18 electrics, 1 acoustic/electric, and 4 basses. My name is musica23 (strange!) and I am an obsessive collector (not yet recovering). :shock:

Before August of 2006, I owned 2 electrics, 2 basses and 1 acoustic/electric. For those in the 21+ category, you may have already figured out that I switched addictions. As others have mentioned, I don't (any longer) smoke, drink, drug, overeat, gamble (unless you count spending $$$ as a "gamble"), etc. Yes, folks...I am a collectaholic. Before this it's been handbags, perfumes, stereo equipment, jewelry, magazines, books, blank media (?), DVDs, CDs (still a problem) and even LPs and 8-tracks. But I always come back to my first love in one form or another: music. But still...I am a collectaholic. Thank you. I feel cleansed. :cry:

But let me clarify: I don't just buy guitars. I actually play, love and even treasure them. I've practiced almost daily since last August (when the current binge began) and I'm happy to be back in the world of playing rather than just listening to music.
Chris said:

I went into a music shop in the local town, with money in my pocket, and came out with nothing. NOTHING.

I don't know whether to congratulate you or have you admitted for observation. :wink: Actually, the same thing has happened to me on occasion (rare as it's been). But I hope it lasts for you! A strange feeling, indeed, and altogether foreign. But nice, as I recall.

As for the actual question (how many is "enough"), you're asking the wrong person. :oops:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Please send your donations to the “Get Blueline More Stuff Fund” and you can ensure that you will be able to sleep better at night ....

I can't resist a sad musical dog picture - particularly not one that handsome...

So I've stuffed an envelope full of notes to help you out of your plight. All I need is the address.

Cheers

Chris

(P.S. The notes are mainly plain old As, Bs, Cs etc as I'm a bit low on sharps and flats. But there should be enough notes to cobble together a reasonable 'Sad Dog Blues in A minor'... :wink: )

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7