Clear all

How musical is your family?

44 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

P.S. I've never had much luck with a maple stalkboard, but am planning to purchase a Tele with one whenever I'm allowed. (It's a woman thing. :lol: )

:D :D

"Maple stalkboard".... nice twist!

I'm starting to get a bit of a Tele itch as well. A noticeable outbreak of TeleGoogling has occurred over the past week or so.. :? I don't know whether it's Vic's devotion to his, or the picture of Bruce Springsteen playing a natural finish one on the cover of the songbook I bought recently, or just the wonderfully basic and agricultural look of them....

Oh, I hear they sound good too.. as if that's ever a necessary factor for a guitar buying tragic... One way and another, life does seem to be just a Tele short of complete satisfaction at the moment. Perhaps the cravings will pass....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm starting to get a bit of a Tele itch as well. A noticeable outbreak of TeleGoogling has occurred over the past week or so.. :?
Me too... :?

I was even playing several models... If you get the chance, try the Baja Tele, great guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My old man couldn't carry a tune in a bucket! :lol:

My much older brother played electric guitar in the 60's. I said, teach me how to play. He said it was much to hard and I couldn't do it. Who's laughing now .... Mr. I can strum a few chords! :P

My son played bass in the All County Jazz Band Small Ensemble and played in the pit backing the Show Chorus for All County as well. Nuff said there. He had been playing for 2 years at the time. He is scarey good! :twisted:

My oldest daughter used to be a concert violinist. She was 2nd chair in a Lakeland Florida production of "A Christmas Carol" It was released as a video and her name was in the credits and everything! 8)

My other daughter was a fabulous dancer and cheerleader in high school... does that count as musical? :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

TRGuitar - You simply reek of music! Good for you! And I vote that dancing and cheerleading do count for at least 1/2 point in the music category as an excellent sense of rhythm is crucial for performing both. You must be very proud and quite happy, too! :D

As for the Tele flu that appears to be going around here, I've got it bad (and, as they say...that ain't good). :?

Like Nuno, I confess that I've been sneaking out to various music stores and actually playing them. It's embarrassing when the salesperson asks if you're interested in a particular guitar and you break into a cold sweat. My stock answer is that I'm shopping early for Christmas (equally humiliating for me as I haven't got a clue as to what I'm getting anyone else...). :oops:

+1 for the Baja. (Have you been following me, Nuno??? :lol: ) When I first played it, that scary ol' maple stalkboard/fretboard thingy felt like a lacquered-up baseball bat! I nearly threw it back onto its hanger and moved on to the next available (comfy) rosewood. I had occasion to try one about a week later as I waited for an exchange to be completed, and I inexplicably fell in love with it. Go figure. It is a woman's prerogative to change her mind, but this felt more like a possession had taken place. That Baja was speaking to me (in English and in Spanish)! I now have a new fixation with maple fretboarded Teles (and I've thought that a Strat might deserve equal time... :shock: ). I hope to the heavens that my husband never reads this. :|

Now that I've mastered the rosewood Tele and Strat (go ahead and laugh...I am... :lol: ), I need to tackle the almighty (and super cool) maple boards. This is my brain on no drugs. :twisted:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

My father played guitar and my mother played recorder and piano (I think). My grandfather played organ and harmonica, my aunt plays guitar. All from hear-say, music seems to have packed up and left decades ago. I can vaguely remember records being played when I was much younger but even those days have passed. What's left is silence and noise.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm....where to start.

My grandad and his brother both played in a local brass band; my great-aunt played organ in the cinema, back in the old days of silent movies when there was no accompanying soundtrack.....

Growing up, no-one in my house actually played anything, but there was always music playing...Grandad liked his brass bands, grandma loved the Irish jigs and reels, dad loved Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong, whilst mum preferred the crooners - BIng, Sinatra, Perry Como, Andy Williams.

I took up the guitar in my teens; my great aunt, although she couldn't play guitar, was an excellent pianist/organ player and chock-ful of theory - once I showed her how a guitar was tuned, she could construct chords for me, and in fact worked out the Animals version of "House Of The Rising Sun" for me!

Trouble is, none of the wives or kids have had any musical inclination, although it was buying my youngest daughter a guitar for her birthday back in the 90's (because her best mate had one!) that got me back into playing.....

Couple or so of the grandkids are showing promise, though - one plays guitar, another plays clarinet, and another couple play violin and are thinking about taking up the guitar after hearing me play.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

When I first played it, that scary ol' maple stalkboard/fretboard thingy felt like a lacquered-up baseball bat!
LOL!!!

Sorry for the off-topic but I had the same feeling! I completely agree! I think it is the V-neck. It is a great guitar.

My problem is I'm looking for a more or less specific tone which is nearer to Strat than Tele. Moreover I don't know if I'm ready for a Tele. If you get the chance, play also the other two Strat "Custom Shop Design". Great guitars, too.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Nuno wrote:
If you get the chance, play also the other two Strat "Custom Shop Design". Great guitars, too.

Will do, Nuno! You don't have to ask me twice to go in search of another guitar! :wink:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I have a nephew who is singing in a metal band. Other than that, not a one.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

My dad sings, and my mom plays the piano. My wife is a great singer, flutist, and keyboard/piano player. My son plays keyboard/piano, sings and is in a band with couple of the 10 year olds. My oldest daughter plays violin, sings, and is procrastinating on the bass. Also once football is over her other band mates will be able to start practicing. My youngest daughter plays keys/piano, sings, and is just starting on acoustic guitar. We are blessed musically.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm starting to get a bit of a Tele itch as well. A noticeable outbreak of TeleGoogling has occurred over the past week or so.. I don't know whether it's Vic's devotion to his, or the picture of Bruce Springsteen playing a natural finish one on the cover of the songbook I bought recently, or just the wonderfully basic and agricultural look of them....

Oh, I hear they sound good too.. as if that's ever a necessary factor for a guitar buying tragic... One way and another, life does seem to be just a Tele short of complete satisfaction at the moment. Perhaps the cravings will pass....

Slightly off-topic......Teles are a welcome addition to any family of guitars. Try one, you'll buy one....but I still love my old Squier Tele, there really isn't that much difference quality-wise between the Squier Custom Teles and the Fenders.

Back on topic....I'd quite forgotten about my grandad's other brother, who, while not playing a recognised musical instrument as such, used to make music with bottles and glasses - he'd fill bottles with water, different levels in each, then either blow over the top of them or hit them with a spoon. He could also do that trick with the wineglasses, where you fill them with different levels of water and rub your finger around the top. Not a musician as such, but much in demand in his younger days when people made their own entertainment!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Not much musical talent in my family and I've kept that streak going! All of my daughters took dance lessons for years (since the ex had her own studio), but the oldest is very artistically inclined. She sings exceptionally well, plays guitar, writes her own music, paints and designs clothing. The middle daughter sings also and the littel one is quite good on drums but doesn't do much with it.

I try to get my daughter out there singing but she hasn't done much with her music other than a few open mics. Her boyfriend is in a band and they both jammed with us on our Friday night jams a few months ago but that was it.

The main reason I started playing was to hopefully get to play with my daughter but we have such different musical tastes. She has no interest in singing classic rock songs and only wants to perform her own material.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

My dad played piano jazz/blues in NYC clubs in the early '50s, and would run through a few favored pieces when the muse was upon him, but that was pretty rare when I was growing up.

My mom played piano too, but mostly "lite ballads" from the same era. "Red Sails in the Sunset"? She also sang in church, confusing everyone by standing over with the guys (tenor).

Both my sister and I were forced into piano lessons, a tradition we have continued.

My own kids are quite musical, and we used to practice for a couple of jams each year. This happens less as they get older.

Many of you have seen these before: http://www.cyberlaz.com/RJ2K5Set3.htm

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

My grandfather plays guitar and steel guitar. My stepfather played bass and guitar, and pretty much everyone in his family played something. They could have bluegrass jams with just immediate family. My oldest son (15) plays snare in the high school marching band, every other percussive instrument in concert band, set drums, guitar and keyboard. My youngest (10) has a guitar but he hasn't caught the bug enough to really practice yet. He can play Smoke on the Water and that's about it. He recently started learning harmonica and hopes to start w/ the saxophone when he starts concert band next year.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

My uncle Noel plays guitar and sings. In the 70's and early 80's he was back and forth between the Memphis, TN area and Nashville, TN doing country music with the Noel Cook Express and other bands.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3