Interstate Relocation with Musical Instruments

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi:

Just wondering if any of you have experience (either good hints or horror stories) about moving from one State (U.S.) to another. Recommendations on moving companies, insurance - any other particulars.

Thanks!

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Depending how much equipment you're talking about, maybe you'd want to rent a truck or trailer and move the valuables yourself even if you have the moving company do the rest of the household furniture, etc. Might have to add a hitch to your vehicle, or tow your vehicle with the truck. In this case, you'd probably have to provide your own insurance coverage for loss or damage to the contents.

If you have a moving company do it, I'd make sure to have clear close-up photos of each piece and a list of details (make, model, serial number, purchase price) etc, just in case anything would get damaged or go missing during the move. I'm guessing the moving company carries insurance coverage to cover such an eventuality.

If they are very expensive instruments, it might be worthwhile to invest in hardside cases for any that don't already have one.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I moved from the East Coast to Colorado 3 years ago. I drove my wife's minivan, while she and the kids flew. We loaded the van with things that can't be replaced: photo albums, family treasures, and of course my gear! :wink:

If you are comfortable leaving it in the hands of movers, then I suggest you buy hard cases, if you don't own them. Then box it up BEFORE the movers come. That way they don't know what is in the boxes!

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Photograph everything before you pack it.

Obtain high quality packing boxes for your instruments and equipment. The difference in protection between cheap flimsy boxes and heavy quality boxes is alot!

Use bubble wrap, foam and tape to make sure that there is no ability for anything to move in the box. Any movement, however small, can result in damage. Make sure there's a few inches of foam/bubble wrap around everything for protection as well as support.

Clearly label each box with equipment in for which direction is up and clearly mark it as "do not stack."

Anything vintage or of very high value, go buy a quality hard shell travel case. A good one will run in the $300 range -- which is nothing compared to the pain you'll feel if your 1953 ES-175 breaks it's headstock.

For guitars -- take the stirngs off, take the whammy bars off, take the floating bridges off . . . basically if it can come off and be packed by itself, do so.

Fill hollow bodies with foam peanuts for support.

Seriously consider transporting the most valuable items in your car and not in the moving van, unless your flying . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I just moved last year from SC to CT. The company paid for the move and arranged the movers etc. so I don't have much help for you there but I did drive all my guitar equipment up in my car.

The movers came and packed everything. When I think about it the only reason I brought my guitar equipment with me was because I wanted to play and the movers weren't going to deliver for a few days. They packed and shipped my TV without a problem and it's worth more than probably all my guitar gear.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I just moved last year from SC to CT. The company paid for the move and arranged the movers etc. so I don't have much help for you there but I did drive all my guitar equipment up in my car.

The movers came and packed everything. When I think about it the only reason I brought my guitar equipment with me was because I wanted to play and the movers weren't going to deliver for a few days. They packed and shipped my TV without a problem and it's worth more than probably all my guitar gear.

TV's are a hell of a lot harder to damage than a guitar. And, either you have one hell of a TV, or you need to indulge your GAS more, or both :lol:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Chris (Cnev), did you move your stuff in that convertible Mustang? Or get a new car before you moved? I think I'd rather trust the moving van than that long drive in your "lumber wagon" :wink: :lol:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

KP, your right but the movers really did a great job packing all of my stuff..to me they overpacked I had to take so much paperwrapping/peanuts etc out just to get at my stuff.

97Reb, yea it was in the Mustang with two cats, three guitars and a couple amps. Your right though I do need to buy some new equipment, just don't know what..I'm not worthy yet. But I did buy a new car when I got here which I now hate. I bought a Jeep Liberty, it pretty much had every option but the gas milage sucks and I'm disappointed. It is good in the snow though with the four wheel drive.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote