Skip to content
Is anyone else havi...

Notifications
Clear all

Is anyone else having weird late Autumn for strings?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

We've got early November weather for at least another week, too. I changed most guitars' strings in early autumn, but all this stretching and shrinking and weather related neck movement I think is killing my strings. I can normally do twice a year on all but a couple. This year it's looking like 3 times on most. Heck, two are un-playable. Even just doing simple strumming.

I just know what will happen, too. The weather will finnally change and everything will be out of whack again.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Obviously you need to get one of those carbon fibre guitars to play during the seasonal transitions.
They say those things are impervious to temperature and humidity changes.

Nothing like pouring some GAS on a problem!

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A little Vitamin-G never hurt nuttin'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Roy. you are probably playing the guitar more hours per week than you used to.
from my experience, after twenty hours of playing the strings lose most of their sound quality.
I don't think weather changes have a great effect on string performance.
I do know from experience, from changing tunings back and forth constantly, that my strings give it up even sooner.
I think there is a phenomena where a newbie player can get a years use out of a set of strings, but a more seasoned player doesn't.
the explanation I believe is the experienced ear.
Roy, I think you have an experienced ear.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

dogbite, that might be the what's happening. The ears are changing, that's for sure. I'm picking up more overtones and other little subleties that driving me nuts on every guitar. Well, it seems that way anyhow. spring noises, noisey saddles, an off string, etc, etc. I'm down to 2 packs of strings from my 10 pack that I got this past summer.

I got thinking earlier. Perhaps the proof is in the measurements. I'll look back through my records and see what the last few adjustments that I made were and take measurements.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Still arguing about strings! Boy did I miss this! Ha!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote