Clear all

It comes down to 2

32 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know I post many topic about that, but now, it's serious. I'm going to buy another guitar... I was looking for the traditional Gibson or Fender, but Gibson is eliminated... I can only afford a LP Studio, I tried it and didn't like it that much so...

American Fender Strat Deluxe (with a humbucker)

OR

A local brand guitar, Godin xtSA

This one is special. There's 3 output: electric, acoustic/mix, 13-pin for Roland GR synths. And the acoustic sound is incredible, very realistic. You can plug the 2 at the same time and get a 2 guitar in one (acoustic and electric).

I have an Ibanez with 2 humbucker and I'm looking for something different...

What do you think about that?

I always dreamed of a Fender, but I tried the Godin and it sounded great too and I don't know which one I should choose... Will I regret the Fender if I choose the Godin?

It'S hard... :roll:

The price is almost similar... 250$ more for the Fender...

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

With my limited experience with guitars, I think I would choose one that had single coil pups instead of humbuckers.
The Schecter I just got has the option of switching to single coils. And since I've started playing it, I leave it in that mode.
Humbuckers seem to me have a muffled sound . . . kind of muddy sounding.
But maybe that's just me.
Hellraiser C-1 The FR model has a tremolo bar
Sorry, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well, if you already have a guitar with humbuckers, (and I'm not a fan of Fender Strats with humbuckers), and you are looking for something different, it sounds like you've found it in the Godin. I've never played one, but have heard they are very good quality guitars. The choice is yours though, and the right guitar will tell you which one is for you. Good luck! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your 2 cents Ken :wink:
Well, if you already have a guitar with humbuckers, (and I'm not a fan of Fender Strats with humbuckers), and you are looking for something different, it sounds like you've found it in the Godin. I've never played one, but have heard they are very good quality guitars. The choice is yours though, and the right guitar will tell you which one is for you. Good luck! :D

Dan

Ok... Why aren't you a fan of Strat with Humbucker ?

And.. The Godin has 2 humbucker and 1 single-coil... So which guitar will sound more different than my Ibanez with 2 humbucker...

The are good, the Fender i the greatest for the clean sound, the Godin seems very versatile, it's a hard choice, I'm going to try the 2 guitars again...

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Claudine, seems you're smitten with the Godin - if I have a gut feeling like that about a guitar, experience has taught me to go with my instincts. If it feels good, sounds good, plays well and looks good, then it very probably IS good! You're probably doing the right thing trying them both again for comparison purposes, but that will probably already confirm what you're already thinking.

Whatever you decide, pics & soundclips, s'il vous plait!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Claudine!

Curiously, yesterday I was visiting the Godin website, seeing videos on YouTube and reading some reviews. The xtSA model seems very interesting to me, mainly by the piezo pickups (acoustic) and the synth output. The magnetic pickup configuration isn't too different to your Ibanez. It has only a single coil in the center position (it will sound great). The other configs are just the humbuckers or mixed with the single coil. (I never played a xtSA so I am only imaging the sound). But you have a midi port as well so you can get an absolutely different sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVXD95xV6uU (this guy has several videos, watch them).

BTW I was considering as a good alternative (for me in the -near- future) the Montreal. It has magnetic and piezo pickups as well but the configs are different. Just 2 humbuckers but 5 positions (each humbucker can sound as a single coil, very cool sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n_T8sHgVvg ).

The fret has a 16" radius. So it could be more comfortable to you because your Ibanez will be also 12" or more. Fender is 9.5". Nothing wrong, in fact it is my Fender's radius, but it is different.

The Fender is a very good model. I think I was playing it when I bought mine. It has the S-1 switch. It gives a lot of sounds for a Strat. You can do it practically all the combinations the pickups and all of them sound great. I also prefer a single coil in the bridge position for the Strat as said Dan but it is a good setup for rock, I think your style, although you could use your Ibanez as well.

If you wish something different you can consider also a Parker. Usually they are expensive models but the P-44 could be more or less in the budget. It has also piezo pickups and you can use the humbuckers as single coils as well. Parkers are very special guitars so you must check it before buying it. The P-44 is mahogany but the higher models include fiber (something as the Ovations, great guitars but they are not "conventional"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOA_VcfVhRU (I understand to this guy but I'm pretty sure you will understand him much better than me!).

Probably I'll go to a store the next week to play some Godins. If you wish I could update my opinion and even if they have a xtSA I could play it as well. When I saw a Godin in a store it always likes me, even the acoustics and "nylons". Seagull and Art&Lutherie are Godin, I played them and they are very nice guitars, in fact a Seagull was my candidate when I bought my acoustic.

And as I usually say: go to the store and play all the guitars there! :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

By the way, just because Godin is canadian and not American hardly makes it local. Godin is a top-class, world-reknown brand, I've never seen one that was anything less excellent, even their cheaper models. The xtSA is wicked, it's arguably one of the most versatile guitars around: both singlecoils and buckers, which is already cool, but also synth-ready and with blendable accoustic sounds. You can always later spend a few dollars and make the buckers splitable, for the rest I can't think of anything that could be this versatile.

Nothing wrong with the Fender ofcourse but, IMHO, it doesnt come close to the coolness of the Godin.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have recently discovered Godins. they are very nice guitars. I like the way the pickups are controlled. you get many cool sounds form them. you will never go wrong with an American Strat. but it seems like you are leaning towards the Godin.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Ok... Why aren't you a fan of Strat with Humbucker ?

And.. The Godin has 2 humbucker and 1 single-coil... So which guitar will sound more different than my Ibanez with 2 humbucker...

The are good, the Fender i the greatest for the clean sound, the Godin seems very versatile, it's a hard choice, I'm going to try the 2 guitars again...

My personal preference on a Fender Strat is 3 single coils.

From your description of the Godin, it sounds like it has the versatility that you are looking for, and it sounds like you are more impressed with the Godin.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Probably I'll go to a store the next week to play some Godins. If you wish I could update my opinion and even if they have a xtSA I could play it as well. When I saw a Godin in a store it always likes me, even the acoustics and "nylons". Seagull and Art&Lutherie are Godin, I played them and they are very nice guitars, in fact a Seagull was my candidate when I bought my acoustic.

Yeah, I'd like to hear what you think about that Godin compared to the Fender. I want to know what you think about the single coil on the Godin..

I'm not going to buy it today anyway. The thing is that they don't have the Fender Deluxe HSS (with the humbucker) in the store. So I only tried the FEnder Deluxe with 3 single-coil and an American Standard with a humbucker. I couldn't find any Deluxe with the humbucker in the other store... So I have to imagine the sound of the Fender Deluxe HSS with the humbucker, I didn't play a real Deluxe HSS... :?

The Parker seems interesting too, I'm going to look at it, thanks :)

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Godin is used here by one of the most famous music composing trio (who actually sound good). Hence, I reckon it is a great brand.

I wish myself to own one of the Godin's nylon string electric guitar.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, I'd like to hear what you think about that Godin compared to the Fender. I want to know what you think about the single coil on the Godin.
Probably I'll go on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll keep you informed! 8)

I think I played the SSS model... BTW, somebody bought a Fender Deluxe recently... I have the same memory than a fish... but fortunately I remember how to use the 'search'! :wink:

Here it is, Mr. Dali Lima: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39793&p=364245

And it is a HSS! :shock:

Parkers are very 'special' guitars. Some people say they are 'insipid', 'without personality', but you can play all with them. Some session musicians use it because they are very versatile. A friend has a high model (I think it is a Fly) and he usually complains on its 'L shape' in the guitar body: if you play seated, that part could 'hurt' yourself. However, they are 'lowered' in their back side for the 'abdominal zone'.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Yeah, I'd like to hear what you think about that Godin compared to the Fender. I want to know what you think about the single coil on the Godin..
I've got a single coil Godin - the older LGX3 model - came stock with 3 single coil Seymour Duncan Duckbuckers. These sound good - classic single coil sound but without the hum. I don't know what the current single coil pickup used in the Godin guitars is. Maybe it's the same?

Godin's are great guitars - very high quality construction. The acoustic bridge pickup is a really nice option. You can mix that in with the electric to get an "airiness" in your tone. The Godin trem is also good and pretty stable - the locking tuners help a lot with that stability and I add just a touch of graphite in the nut to help. The basic body shape of the Godin feels comfy and the high frets are nicely reachable - the xtSA and the LGX3 have the same body shape.

If the controls are the same as my LGX3 then the volume controls are also interesting - one control for the bridge / neck pickup and one for the centre pickup. That lets you add any amount of middle pickup to the other combinations that you want - 3-way switch for bridge, bridge + neck, and neck. The middle is always available and controlled by it's volume control.

I notice 2 small push switches on the xtSA. Are those for the MIDI or are those for the new Godin Revoicer? If for the Revoicer how do they sound? I've heard them only in video (YouTube) as there aren't many Godin dealers out here in Silicon Valley. I'll probably play with a Godin or three over XMas in Toronto.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

notice 2 small push switches on the xtSA. Are those for the MIDI or are those for the new Godin Revoicer? If for the Revoicer how do they sound? I've heard them only in video (YouTube) as there aren't many Godin dealers out here in Silicon Valley. I'll probably play with a Godin or three over XMas in Toronto.

Those are for the MIDI.

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I've never played the Godin, so I cannot comment on that guitar, but the Fender Deluxe is great. So nice, in fact, that it prompted me to sell off all my lower-priced guitars. I just won't play them anymore. Yes, that nice.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3