Clear all

Gretsch guitar question?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Gretsch 5120 Electromatic - similar to that guitar except with humbucker pickups instead of the single coils. I don't play slide but I've found it to be an excellent guitar.

Lots of people change the pickups on these - they aren't as good as the single-coils on the one you linked to, hence the $600 price tag - but I think they sound fine. Just a bit more "Gibson" than "Gretsch". You can always put TV Jones pickups on them though.

If you Google "Gretsch Pages" there's an excellent Gretsch forum where someone could probably answer your slide question better.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

No, not that.

You could. but a "Bigsby" without the bar would be....uh... Hmmmm.

Not right?!?! :shock:

Also, any guitar can be a 'blues' guitar. Blues don't come from the guitar, it comes from the heart.

I've heard a guy play Blues on a Ukelele once.

He was really good at it too.... don't be fooled it was all Blues man.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Also, any guitar can be a 'blues' guitar. Blues don't come from the guitar, it comes from the heart. Absolutely! It's never been about the gear. Never will be.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

I can back the support for the 5120 model. At $600, I am extremely happy with the guitar. Now if only I could play it like it deserves. :roll:

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote