Clear all

Jazz

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Can someone give me some Jazz to start listening to? Looking for mainly guitar orientated stuff generally quite easy on the ears but whatever you feel like recommending is good I've already listened to Miles Davis Kind of blue which I like and Coltrane A love supreme which wasn't really my thing to be honest might have to try it again one day.

Thanks

Adam

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Have you checked out Larry Carlton? I like his stuff. Not really a fan of Coltrane/Davis/McLaughlin, etc. Some of that is more progressive/fusion?

Some guitarists - Larry Coryell, Lee Ritenour, Chuck Loeb, Norman Brown. You can check out samples of these guys all over the web. Youtube has some of their stuff too. Oh yeah, can't forget Santana!

I also like to listen to Diana Krall; Sade too, although I guess she is also pop/Latin/soul/etc., but much of it has a pretty jazz flavor to it.

Hope that gets you off to a good start! I like putting the shedder/metal stuff aside at times & going for the smooth jazz guitar as well.

Let us know what you decide to listen to!
Cheers, kat :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

More:

Django Reinhardt
John Scoffield
Pat Metheny
Grant Green
Wes Montgomery
Bill Frissel
Al Dimeola
Joe Pass

fusion

Jeff Beck (on 'Wired' and 'Blow by Blow')
earlier Al Dimeola (album 'Romantic Warrior')

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Tried a bit of Wes Montogomery and John Scofield, I like those. Joe Pass is unbelievable but seems to me I'll never be able to play like that.

And theres a lesson in this months guitarist which Django Reinhard style.

Do any of you guys know a good place to learn about common Jazz chords and progressions? (before I move into lead territory)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Get a fakebook, that should have you started.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Ahhhhh ~ JAZZ! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Barney Kessel is my favorite Jazz guitarist.

Or for a Jazz/Blues crossover, there's always T-Bone Walker!
For more Jazzy Blues (piano centric) check out Charles Brown (1998's 'So Goes Love' album)

If you like Sax (who doesn't! :twisted: ) - My favorite sax album is
Dexter Gordon's 'Ballads' ~ Favorite cut: I'm a Fool to Want You
Dex has a VERY reedy thing goin' on and should be played loud to get the full effect of
him being barely able to blow through his axe! Wonderful!

Sonny Rollins also has a bit of a reeded up sound (and Barney Kessel played with him in the 50's)

Charlie Mingus' ~ Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, should not be missed!

Thelonious Monk is also very good (piano player).
I really like his '67 album 'Underground' ....
I don't know if it's on CD ~ I have the Vinyl.

If you like Monk - then you can work your way into the Monk/Coltrane collaborations.
Develop an ear for that PERFECT Coltrane Tone!

I know a lot of people who heard that 'Trane was Great.... rushed out and bought something by him,
and said they didn't like it....
'Trane has a lot of stuff out there.... went thru a lot of phases....
Believe me, You'll Like him!

Try; Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall ~ Terrific!

Coltrane also teamed up with Miles Davis - Seems a bit frenetic of what I've heard, still....

Coltrane For Lovers is good.

And I see that there's a Coltrane/Chet Baker/Stan Getz Disc out there....
Chet Baker's really good....
Stan Getz is reputedly the Greatest Sax player.... He's a bit too slick and perfect for my liking.
Don't get me wrong.... He's good, and you might enjoy his playing style.
That might be worth getting to hear all three of their styles.

As far as the Jazz guitar book - Mickey Baker is a pretty good starter book.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

If you got into Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" you must get Miles Davis "Tribute to Jack Johnson".

Others to check out: Al Dimeola, Return to Forever, John McLauglin, Joe Pass, Jeff Beck, Billy Cobham ("Spectrum" has Tommy Bolin playing lead guitar), Dixie Dreggs, Steve Moorse.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Gabor Szabo is a fantastic and often overlooked jazz guitarist. Probably my favorite jazz guitarist. He was a major influence on Carlos Santana too. Definitely worth checking out. His album "High Contrast" is a good place to start, as well "Sorcerer" for his acoustic stuff. His playing had a very hypnotic feel to it. Check iTunes, he's got several albums on there.

As far as learning material, there's a series of 4 Jazz books by Jody Fisher going from beginning to "mastering" that are excellent. I have the first two ("The Beginning Jazz Guitar" and "Intermediate Jazz Guitar") that I'm learning from. The first one alone has a wealth of information and introduces tons of jazz chords that I'd never even seen before. The books seem to be much more structured, straightforward and easier to learn from than other jazz instructional books I've found.

Here's the Amazon page for the Beginning Jazz Guitar. You can read the reviews of that and the other books in the series.

Regarding Coltrane, if you've never heard him before, "A Love Supreme" is not really a good place to start I don't think. His earlier stuff will be easier to get into.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Coltrane Plays The Blues
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blues
Jim Hall - Concierto
Jim Hall and Pat Metheny (dunno the album title, but its them two improvising)
Jeff Beck - Wired, and Blow by Blow
Freddie Green (guitarist from Count Basie's band)
Bill Evans - he's a piano player, but his 'comping' rhythm style is something everyone should try to develop, imho
Robben Ford - blues, but moving towards jazz
Joe Pass - awesome rhythm skills
Joe Diorio (he did an album with Robben Ford that's very jazzy, but I don't recall the title)

as for learning the chords, its really more a case of learning how the chords link with each other than anything else. so I'd be on the lookout for a theory book, maybe Noteboat's theory for guitar book?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Lenny Breau was one of the best fingerstyle jazz players.

Ever.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What kind of guitar is it Lenny is playing? Is it electric or acoustic or a cross?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Guitar Jazz?

Charlie Byrd. Seeing him in concert when I was 17 was a revelation, and completely changed the way I approached my guitar for the rest of my life.

Other favorites

Cannonball Adderly
Joe Zawinul (and Weather Report )
Benny Goodman Orchestra
Louis Prima
Gene Krupa

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Try Charlie Hunter for a "modern" jazz guitar musician. He puts on a great live show. I've had the opportunity to see him a few times when he comes through the Bay Area either at Kumbwaa Jazz (a really cheap community Jazz collective) or at Yoshi's. His site has a lot of free audio available. He plays this rather interesting 8 string "guitar" from Novax with the low 3 set up as a bass and the high 5 as a guitar.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What kind of guitar is it Lenny is playing? Is it electric or acoustic or a cross?

No idea exactly. I'm not well versed on vintage guitars or "jazz boxes".

It looks like an F-hole archtop with a P-90 type pickup. It does have a thicker body than current archtops that I've seen.

Anyone?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

it looks and sounds like a hollowbody electric, or 'jazz box' - you can still get 'em that thick (possibly even thicker), just check the Ibanez hollowbody range

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2