Skip to content
john mayer- the win...

Notifications
Clear all

john mayer- the wind cries mary (hendrix covers?)

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

that is a wicked cover, its probably the best hendrix cover i have ever heard.

What other good Hendrix covers are there? i no of all along the watchtower done by Dave Mathews, are there any other cool ones?

$MAX$

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Check out Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Little Wing. IT's a little eerie.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

theres one i forgot about...ye i have heard it man..its pretty sick

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What other good Hendrix covers are there? i no of all along the watchtower done by Dave Mathews,

All Along the Watchtower was written by Bob Dylan, not Hendrix.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

What other good Hendrix covers are there? i no of all along the watchtower done by Dave Mathews,

True, but even Dylan agrees that Hendrix did it best...

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

True, but even Dylan agrees that Hendrix did it best...

True, and Dylan also covered Hendrix covers of some of his own songs to if i remember correctly.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Check out Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Little Wing. IT's a little eerie.

Yeah, I don't think you can top that in terms of cover songs, and i mean he does put his own twist on the song as well: in my opinion it's a million times better then the hendrix version (i apologize to all the hendrix fans but you have to admit it is incredible :lol:)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

Ben Harper does an acoustic slide version of Voodoo Chile, lapstyle, which is very cool. I have heard a couple of other acoustic slide versions.
All in all perhaps my favorite Hendrix song, and no one can ever do it as good as Jimi himself, just ask those guys who did the covers, they'll all tell you the same.

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

SRV did a pretty good cover of voodoo chile (most people spell it child though) as well.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ye bob dylan wrote all along the watchtower....but it barely sounds the same...it's like him and his harmonica...and its kindof boring...so anyone who covers it now on an electric guitar is covering hendrix.

a good cover that i heard once live was kenny wayne sheppard on Voodoo Child...that was really cool to see, he also did a great one on yellow ledbettet

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Dylan also covered Hendrix covers of some of his own songs to if i remember correctly.

Heh, for some reason I think this is funny... :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

If you really want to hear an amazing hendrix cover rent the Lightning in a Bottle DVD or better yet buy it and listen to African sensation Angelique Kidjo do Voodoo Chile. It is primal, powerful performance that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Dylan also covered Hendrix covers of some of his own songs to if i remember correctly.

Heh, for some reason I think this is funny... :lol:

http://www.emplive.org/explore/hendrix_dylan/index.asp

All Along the Watchtower '74

a comparison must also be made between Dylan's original studio version of "All Along the Watchtower" and his live version recorded with The Band on 1974's Before the Flood. The most notable difference is that the 1974 version is a 100–mile–per–hour barnburner when compared with the mid-tempo original. Robbie Robertson's furious lead guitar and Garth Hudson's synthesizer can be heard copping Hendrix's guitar solo parts throughout the song.

"I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way. Funny though, his way of doing it and my way of doing it weren't that dissimilar, I mean the meaning of the song doesn't change like when some artists do other artists' songs. Strange though how when I sing it I always feel like it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

Bob Dylan, from the liner notes to the Biograph CD box set, © 1985 CBS Inc.

#4491....

ReplyQuote