Clear all

Keith Urban

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Went to his concert in Munich last night. It didn't start very well, as the organisers took nearly an hour and a half to get 1000 people into a hall. By the time we got in, the warm-up act was in full flow - a blonde haired woman, whose name I shall never know. She was on stage with only a guitarist for accompaniment. She played acoustic and heplayed a music Man electric.
Her voice was somewhat Dido-like and she used both a good range of notes and of volume - which, unfortunately, the sound guys seemed to have no control over. Some of her passages, where the volume of her voice swelled from quiet to loud, were poorly handled (IMHO, anyway). She deserved better.
After a short break, for the crew to switch all the gear on and check volumes and effects, on came Keith Urban. Before the concert, I knew very little about him - he's not the star in Europe that he seems to be in the States, but he does have a very loyal band of fans, here. I left it that way, so that I would have no preconceptions, to colour my opinion.
From the moment he came on stage to the moment he left it, he was 100% committed - it was an excellent performance from a man who, obviously, loves performing. Better still, his band is a group of people who have played together a lot - it showed in the easy way they handled the songs (even when Keith Urban decided to go AWOL in the crowd).
He had 5 mics on stage, so that he could address different sections of the audience (nice touch, that). That's another thing - he's very much into getting audience participation and building a rapport with them.
Although he seems to be classed as a country singer, I would describe him as a rock singer with a tinge of country, but whatever it is, he's very good. Altogether an excellent night's entertainment and I'd recommend going to see him in concert, if you get a chance.
For the gassers, he spent most of the time playing an upmarket Tele (the ones with 3 pickups and bound body), but also several acoustics, a couple of LPs and a Strat. His 2nd guitarist played acoustic, most of the time, when he wasn't playing a mandolin, that is. The lead guitarist had a range of gear, from LPs to Teles to Strats to banjo (oh, and a Rickenbacker).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I like Keiths music although I am not a huge country fan. My wife on the other hand is a huge fan.
I would like to see him in concert.
1,000 people? small venues give a more intimate experience. I don't think I have ever seen a concert of a well known band with less than about 10,000, usually more.
Must have been a great time :D

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As I said, I wouldn't call him strictly country - it's rock with country flavour. Apart from 4 or 5 ballads, it was all rock music. If you get a chance, go and see him, it's a really great performance.
You also have to realise that Keith Urban is not the huge name that he is in the States - I would have missed him, if it hadn't been for a comment on GN by Planetalk about 2 days before the posters went up in Munich.
Your wife will get double benefit from one of his concerts - she'll like the music and she'll like Keith Urban!
Small venues are usually great, but the hall was full of Germans that thought they were cowboys - sheesh!
I remember going to a bar in Nürnberg and finding that there was a blues band playing - fantastic night. The bar held max. 50-60 people and was in a cellar with an arched ceiling (it's only about 400 years old!) - it was a wonderful night. I had taken a customer, that was visiting the company that I worked for, and when he came out he just stood there, with a beatific expression on his face and said "Magic!". I don't think I could have planned it better.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I am ashamed and embarrassed that I missed a Keith Urban post. As you can tell, hopefully, by my avitar I am a huge fan. He is probably my favorite all time performer. While that may sound like to much for a country boy that isnt completely known in some parts, the man is so exciting to watch and listen too.

It makes sense that he sounds very much rock n roll to you. His big influence was the fellow from Dire Straits.. Cant remember his name at the moment. Keith has played since he was 6 years old.

He did the "walking around in the audience" thing here in Oklahoma City too. All the while playing his guitar. Never seen anything like that before. Loved being touched, talked to, sung too. He just eats up the audience and I think that is one of the reasons I apprecaite him so much. He makes you feel special whether you are the lucky person at the front that gets an autograph while he is singing, or the fellow in the back row who cant hardly even see him.

Sorry to ramble. If you get a chance to see his performance with John Foggarty, it is really something to see. It was on CMTs Crossroads a while back. Not sure if any of that is available over seas.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

At the end of the show, someone ask for a photo, so he hauled the guy on stage and got the guy's wife/gf/whatever to take a pic with Keith Urban and the whole band! Not many would do that.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I've become a big Urban fan lately. His guitar playing is something else. He and Brad Paisley I really dig. I'm not big into country, but Keith does seem to be a little more southern rock than country sometimes.

He recently had to cancel a show here in my town and has rescheduled it for Feb. 06. I might just see if I can buy some tickets from someone.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Its worth the money. I have to say though.. I tend to get a little jealous of the guy. He plays a mean guitar, a terrific performer, great looking for an Aussie (no offence Chris_C). But then I just remind myself how HORRIBLE it would be to play guitar for MONEY every night, have ALL those beautiful women around me ALL the time, and it just makes me appreciate my meager life much more. :roll:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

great looking for an Aussie (no offence Chris_C). But then I just remind myself how HORRIBLE it would be to play guitar for MONEY every night, have ALL those beautiful women around me ALL the time, and it just makes me appreciate my meager life much more. :roll:

Geoo

That's OK mate - we're all pretty dazzling looking down here. It's just that some of us have looks that are an acquired taste that takes quite a while to acquire... and I'm sure he's got used to all the women - I've learned to live with it, so I'm sure he'll manage too.... 8) :P

Oddly enough I'd never heard of him until I saw him mentioned at GN, so maybe most of his career has been spent in the US?? Still, I'm not exactly a red hot follower of the local scene any more.

Sounds like he puts on a good show. :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Keith Urban currently has the #6 album on the Billboard country charts "Be Here" and , get this, the Number 1 song "Better Life"
Guess he is doing good here :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

so maybe most of his career has been spent in the US??

Yes, he played mostly local pubs in Australia til he was in his late teens I believe. I cant remember the year he came to TN but I believe it was early 90's. He had a rough go at country music but finally took off.
Keith Urban currently has the #6 album on the Billboard country charts "Be Here" and , get this, the Number 1 song "Better Life"
Guess he is doing good here :D

Ya, missleman.. And that CD has been out for quite a while. Better Life is his 4th single off that album, I believe. I would jump out on a limb and say that every single he releases has either hit or got close to a #1 on some chart. I wish I could find a link to verify how close I am in that statement.

Glad for all the discussion about Keith. I think if it weren't for the fact that he is labeled Country, there are quite a few guitarist here that would appreciate his music.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I listen to Keith Urban every morning as I am coming into work. I made a complation CD with my favorite songs. He puts so much emotion into his music. I saw the DVD concert where he did You'll Think Of Me live and I honestly thought he was going to start crying! Hell I almost did!

As for Aussie boys being good looking....isn't that because Australia used to be a prison? Them prisoners needed someone to play with! :lol: :wink: (Sorry Chris I couldn't resist!)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Glad for all the discussion about Keith. I think if it weren't for the fact that he is labeled Country, there are quite a few guitarist here that would appreciate his music.

On other guitar boards where 80's hair rock seems to be alive and well, even they think Keith is an amazing guitar player. I had heard a few of his tunes, but it was threads regarding excellent players that got me to get a CD. I'm glad I did and now have all of his stuff.

Ironically, I'm listening to him right now at work. :D

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

I didn't know Keith Urban until I saw his name popping up every now and then here. Downloaded some songs and I just gotta love it. Going to buy some album of him first thing monday..
Thanx guys, it's great to find new things :D

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

And take your cat and leave my sweater
'Cause we have nothing left to weather
In fact I'll feel a whole lot better
But you'll think of me, you'll think of me

if u fingerpick this, you will score, trust me

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I first saw Keith Urban a couple of years ago on the Australian music awards night called the Arias, he was sort of restrained that night, but I liked his music, and yes so handsome (for the gossips and Nicole Kidman fans among you he was recently seen squiring her around); I got a surprise to see him on the Live 8 where he was as you all say engaging the audience so much. (I thought that remark that he was handsome for an Aussie pretty funny, I didn't know we were known as a nation of uglies lol) - actually he came to Australia to live when he was 6 years old from NZ, so that may explain it, or, think Russel Crowe, yuk! Yes, he went to Nashville around 92, and said he had a hard time breaking through, but said that was fair enough (I just read an interview with him in the Australian Guitarist Magazine) - he lived in Caboolture Qld before that, which is just a small Queensland town, oh, my husband just correctd me, he says it's a small city now :roll:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2