Clear all

Layla

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know this is a totally random post but I also knew that if anyone would understand it would be you guys...

I grabbed my copy of Layla the other day before I left for work and popped it in my car CD player. It had been a LONG time since I had listened to it. It's still in there 4 days later. All I can say is "Wow." Is it possible that this is the greatest guitar album of all time? Clapton and Duane Allman together for 14 (I think) songs? It doesn't get any better. Straight 12 bar blues, blues inspired rock n'roll, ballads, straight rock and some of the best solo and slide work you'll ever hear. Even without "Layla" (the song) this album stands up. All I can say is thank God these two guys got together when they did. We're all richer for it.

Again, sorry for the random post but who else would listen to this? My wife? I doubt it.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Greatest guitar album?

You're probably right.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Clapton has always been my favorite guitar player (probably because I was named after him). Duane Allman was way up there on my list as well. Unfortunatly, I lost my tape of this shortly after getting a CD player in my car, so I was never able to transfer it over.

I think I'm going to go get it this weekend now.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Ya that is a great CD. Layla is one of my favorite songs. I struggled trying to learn it (the acoustic version) for a while and shelved it, maybe its time to try again.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote