Notifications
Clear all

les paul sp2? for a noob

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@amazingfly)
Topic starter  

alrighty, I did all my looking around on the net, then I got to a guitar stor to listen to the stuff.

I so like the les paul better than the strat

I like metal and rock

I so far plan on getting it in a kit with an amp some strings wires etc. I might gtet it as soon as this friday. any reason I shouldn't? or any other guitar I should look at. I could pay slightly more than what it costs if sombody realy thinks I should. (and if then I agree of course) I liked the sound with the double umm... coils, I forget what they are called, but you probly know what I'm talking about.

Big up, fanks

Bu-ya Kasha

(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Humbuckers :)

As long as you get what you like, that's all that matters. There is a whole world out there besides strats and LPs (although you wouldn't know it looking at the copycats). Have you tried an SG? Any brands besides Fender, Squier, and Epiphone? I dig both of my Washburn X-series guitars, although ymmv.

If I actually had advice (which I'm not sure that I really do), it would be to try out several different brands, and not just limit yourself to Epiphone LP or Fender/Squier Strat. They are both great guitars, but there are other great ones out there too.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@amazingfly)
Topic starter  

right, that was sorta what I was getting at. Up untill last saturday I didnt know any guitar brands/models period. So you gave a few, can someone maybe list a couple that I should look at?

Bu-ya Kasha

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Schecter makes a quality axe and the prices are good too. I would have linked to the home page of Schecter, but they seem to be having some picture issues.

It's the age old question though. We've all been there so, with that said. I would get a decent axe now and get an amp later if you can't afford both. Only because some of those "combo's" are much in the way of a killer deal. You'll learn that the more you get into it. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying they're all crap, but more often than not they are. You'll have problems with the action (fixable), tuners go out of tune easily (fixable), frets are sticking out (fixable), pups sound too thin (fixable) and the list goes on. Yes, most of the problems are fixable, but how much money do you want to shell out to do it..........

This is all my opinion and if you are just starting out and don't know if you will stick with the guitar, then these deals are great because you get a feel for what is needed without spending a lot of money. Double edge sword if you ask me but, if you've been playing an acoustic for a while and know you will be sticking with it, I'd go for a better quality guitar than what you get with those combo's.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Schecter does make some good guitars. Some other things to try may be the Squier 51 with the Epiphone valve junior. Both seem to be the rage these days, although my plans to buy both went out the window for now. Ibanez also makes a good guitar. It's all a matter of choice, and there's a ton of choices out there. Just keep in mind that if you are going to stick with this you'll end up paying just as much in time and money for something cheap as you would for something that's pretty good to begin with.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I just bought an Epi Special II about a month ago. It is my first electric and I love it. I didn't buy the kit, just the guitar and I have a Crate 15 watt amp. The sound is great for the money.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote