Clear all

Live 8

35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Did anyone watch any of the performances today? I saw some of the stuff going in London, much better than any other place. I saw the who, pink floyd, and paul mccartney. With the new pink floyd, roger waters hasnt got any voice left, he sounded like he barely made it through wish you were here. thank god gilmour was there to pick up comfortably numb.

overall, the shows didn't really impress me, they were good but nothing noteworthy. I also caught sir paul with U2 singing Sgt Pepper's, i thought that was pretty cool

whatd you guys think of this live 8?

(@paulsc)
Eminent Member

Wasn't very impressed. Nobody real stood out for me. Was cool to see Pink Floyd but you were right about Rogers voice, it was horrible.

paul

"How can you have an ego about running your hand across a piece of wood?"
- Col. Bruce Hampton

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Didn't see it, but I heard that during Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, the MTV VJs wouldn't shut up AND they went to commercial in the middle of the song. Is this true?

ReplyQuote
(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

I can't verify during the Pink Floyd performance, but I was going to comment about how I thought the whole thing was ruined by MTV's ridiculous commercial coverage. I honestly think I saw more commercials than coverage today, and certainly saw more ads and VJ blurbs than performances. They did frequently cut out in the middle of songs. I was so disappointed after watching for a few hours that I just turned it off. Hope the DVD catches all the performances.

"There's no easy ways man," he said. "You gotta learn the hard parts for yourself."

ReplyQuote
(@beardking)

Didn't see it, but I heard that during Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, the MTV VJs wouldn't shut up AND they went to commercial in the middle of the song. Is this true?

Pink Floyd played through 3 full songs completely uninterrupted, but about half way through Comfortably Numb, the idiots at MTV thought it was the perfect time to go to a freaking commercial. I just about jumped through the TV at them. The only saving grace was that I was watching it on Tivo, so I didn't have trudge through all the fecal matter that they played just to get to Pink Floyd.

I do have to say that I liked watching Velvet Revolver. Even though Scott Weiland is looking more and more gay every time I see him.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i wouldnt say its worth the DVD. I got a direct feed from aol.com there were no breaks at all. Me and my friend had 15min break from wtahcing becuase they were setting up for the next band. If you go to aol.com now, you can still watch performances from today, but its mostly highlights.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, I got the AOL stream too.

Amazing stuff I thought. The Who was up to par, perfect performance as always.

Pink Floyd I thought was great. David Gilmour is just extremly good. His solo in Comfortably Numb was amazing, I loved it. His voice is still very good, although not what it used to be, but good. Pink Floyd played it pretty much right off the album, didn't change that much. Although I'm pretty sure that comfortably numb solo was very different.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Let's face it guys, Live 8 was never going to capture the intensity, the passion or the excitement of Live Aid....and without Status Quo to kick things off with "Rocking All Over The World," it was on a hiding to nothing from the kick-off....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

On CTV (canadian tv channel), they had the normal live feed from the canadian barrie show which wasn't horrible but wasn't great either... in between sets they'd go to the london show and occasionally the philadelphia show, but of course I never got to see Pink Floyd's set or Velvet Revolver's set which is quite disappointing... but I did hear that Green Day played good out in Berlin.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

i thought live8 was awesome, so did everyone i know...pink floyd were absolutely amazing, the whole thing was just so cool

british tv ran the whole thing non stop from about 4 in the afternoon to something like 5am. got to see most stuff - weakest part for me was defo the philly show, best hyde park and berlin

vic, im not sure where you're from but i think live8 did capture the same intensity as live aid...it was much more hyped in europe than the us, so that might explain the difference in opinion...and st peppers was a great opener....altho you'd think macca could a afford a proper lefty guitar and not a restrung righty :p

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

I only watched on aol.com, which was amazing quality. I've probably seen 6 hours of performances over two days (the original and rebroadcasts)

I thought it was amazing. I would have loved to have been at Hyde Park. I'm definitely going to get the dvd.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The BBC coverage of London was rubbish - Radio 1 kept up a stream of talk whilst bands were on, and the TV show was littered with Jonathan Woss and two airhead blondes. Another brain cell and they'd have had a pair between the three of them.

Some plonker at the Beeb even thought it was a good idea to show the talentless David Beckham and his even more talentless Mrs on screen a couple of times. It would have been far more enjoyable if he'd been caught there with one of his bits on the side.

Commercial Radio did a lot better, with some 200 stations broadcasting the action, but making sure you got a jingle between every song; though for some reason Virgin Radio didn't join in.

I had the AOL feed running, and it's available there on demand from tomorrow, I believe. AOL were excellent. No chat, no commercials, no rubbish, just a live feed. I had Audacity running to tape some of the acts, too.

Madonna almost stole the show, being far far better than anything on the bill before her. Until, that is, Velvet Revolver came on. Sadly, the audience didn't understand what they'd just witnessed (Sucker Train Blues), but they got the hang of it by the time the band played Slither. Even more sadly, Jonathan Woss didn't understand them either, and referred to them as a damp squib; at which point one of the airheads said her only redeeming sentence of the whole show when she said VR had been her favourite act (she must have been using the aforementioned brain cell at the time).

Bob Geldof sang "I don't like Mondays", and The Who did "Won't Get Fooled Again" (as they did at the original Live Aid concert), but the evening belonged to Pink Floyd. They've never actually been my favourite band, but they were just............. superlatives fail me.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Could've been worse, Alan....at least Mrs Beckham and her former band-mates didn't get together and "?sing?"......

:D :D :D

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

you're right vic, You could kind of notice from tbe start that it wouldn't really match the achievements of live aid. It just seemed like they jsut put people on a stage to perform to keep the crowd happy. There were some big names, but I dont think having those people would've been enough.

Does anyone know if Queen performed, with Paul Rodgers?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

After having read about the appearance of Paul Doherty, I thought that must have been the most embarassing thing to have happened, until I read about that useless stick of mediocrity called Paris Hilton. She apparently appeared at Live 8 without actually knowing what the whole thing was about!!! She was reported to have been totally unaware of any poverty in Africa.

She's said that she'll read up on it, though!!!

At this point, words, which would pass any censor (even the one used on the Misc. section of Guitar.com), totally fail me.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3