Clear all

Martin DCX1E

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 gwy
(@gwy)
Topic starter  

I looked at a Martin DCX1E over the weekend at Guitar Center. I came real close to buying it as I liked the sound, but I decided to wait. Something told me not to jump too soon. The sales girl told me the back and sides were wood. I looked it up yesterday on the internet and found that this guitar is mostly composites including the neck. I know it's a Martin and it sounds good but even the sales girls said it wouldn't sound as good as a more expensive one. I just can't see putting $700.00 in a composite guitar. I don't think it will hold it's value as well as a true wood either. Any body have one or experience with one?

(@sam334)
Trusted Member

I was looking at the exact same guitar, but the sales girl advised against it. She claimed to have seen many returns of that model with the body separating from the sides after several months. I started looking at a Breedlove Atlas Series rosewood model that I really enjoyed, but now I'm thinking of keeping my current starter acoustic and getting an electric instead (which is a whole other story).

Here's the acoustic I was looking at:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_breedlove_atlas_series_ac25sr_acousticelectric_guitar?full_sku=512401%2e010

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Funny, I played those Martins and bought a Breedlove ...

That being said, I thought the Martin XC1T felt and sounded pretty darn good ... but at US$900 was about 50% too pricey for me.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

people on the unofficial martin guitar forums have nothing but good things to say about this model, as far as i know. you may want to check out that forum if your thinking of buying a martin. imho, you can't go wrong with any martin.

ReplyQuote
 gwy
(@gwy)
Topic starter  

The Martin with a hard case was over $800.00, I have been researching the Taylors and found that the 310 with a hard case is $1000.00. That's a lot of money but the difference between a true wood guitar and a composite guitar would be more than worth the extra $200.00 in my opinion. Also if I could find a used one in like new condition I would be happy with that as well, as long as the price is right. So if you hear of one for sale, let me know......

ReplyQuote