Martin or Gibson Acoustic ?

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok,

Call it a gas attack or simple curiosity.But i am interested to know that what is the difference in the martin d-28s and the similar ones (upto 3000 $) and the gibson sj-200.

Both are hand crafted and heavenly expensive , so does there lies any difference ?

I have read that martin make a better rhythm guitar rather then fingerstyle and gibbys can be used to play anything :wink:

They also say that the sj-200 takes time to bring out its REAL tone and then onwards its a kind of first love again feelings and various heavy use of other adjectives :lol:

For the martin they say that d-28 is the ultimate guitar.But again some are of the view that the earlier martins used to be much better than now ones :?

Doesn't it get confusing ...

Ok excuse my gas i think you did :twisted: ,

Rahul

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

imho, the "differences" beyond obvious construction, materials, body styles, strings, and hardware would have more to do with how "you" perceive it.

for instance, when i bought my Tak EG523SC i tried about 12 or so guitars of various makes and models. cost was a huge issue but feel and sound were more important than appearance.
when i finally narrowed the field down to 4-5 guitars they had sold out of the one that i chose. the feel of it stuck with me tho and made a deep enough impression that i settled on buying it on the phone sight unseen.

i think that after awhile you develop a "feel" for what suits you and your playing style the best. for a dedicated beginner i would suggest buying all the guitar you can afford within reason. that is, get the best "feeling & sounding" guitar you can afford. That way it will surely be easier to learn on and it will hold it's value if you decide later that it doesn't suit you.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree with TL but I am going to continue on and probably put my foot in my mouth.

This is nothing against guys with supurb name brand guitars such as Gibson, Fender, Taylor, and so forth but personally I dont really give a hoot what the name on the guitar is. I just care what it sounds like. I dont think price dictates that sound, I dont think name brand dictates that sound.

Usually, for most people, its going to be your skill level that makes or breaks your sound and I am not even convinced that it matters that much once you are a "Guitar God". It just depends on what sound you are looking for in a particular song. That is why the great guitarists of the world have so many guitars.

The difference goes way beyond the two models you mention because within each guitar there are differences in even the same model. Thats why people here suggest laying your hands on the guitar you are wanting to buy and trying it out.

Maybe I'm all wrong.. but thats my two coppers.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You're not wrong. You can find a gem of a "no name" and you can find expensive guitars that simply sound bad. Every guitar has a personality of its own and you can spend your life finding the one (or ones) that speak directly to you.

More importantly, and you're spot on about this, the guitarist and not the guitar, is ultimately the one who determines what music is played. I have heard many guitarists bring beauty out of instruments others might deem unworthy of attention.

It's okay to have GAS. Everyone does. But I find there's more satifaction in playing than in wishing. And your playing improves with more playing. :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

It's okay to have GAS. Everyone does.

OOhhh... Good point. I wasnt implying that GAS is bad. I GAS as much as anyone on this board. I hope you get your Gibby soon though Rahul. I know you've been wanting one.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's okay to have GAS. Everyone does.

OOhhh... Good point. I wasnt implying that GAS is bad. I GAS as much as anyone on this board. I hope you get your Gibby soon though Rahul. I know you've been wanting one.

Geoo

I will get one When -

1.) i can play like john denver (all his leads)
2.) i can play rhythms guitar like gipsy kings
3.) i can play any rhythm or solo of country style in small time.
4.) i can make my own bluegrass , nashville ( or whatever they call them ) leads and mouthful of rhythms.

And last but not the least in anyway ,

When i start earning 10000 $ per month ( :oops: ..someday , if i study real hard !)

Pretty big dreams ...right bob ?.Ok son now you know you have to work hard both in your studies and your guitar. :D

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It is true you can find gems in every price range. What you get with more expensive guitars is more attention to detail, usually better woods and materials, and better hardware.

For instance higher end gives you:

solid top back and sides instead of laminate
AAA or AAAA quality wood instead of A or AA in solid tops
Bone or Tusq or Micarta nut and saddle instead of plastic
Ebony instead of dyed no name fretboard
better pickups if so equipped like Fishman instead of no-name

It's pretty easy to quantify the difference. But you don't have to go to far up the high end scale to get those. Also better materials doesn't mean that it will sound better to you.

Once you go beyond that it gets harder to quantify what makes the monetary difference.

What do you get with an expensive guitar?

A feeling.
A thrill.
A longing to play that one guitar.
A sense of oneness and peace.

Now with that said I had a Fender DG-22s that was solid top, laminate back and sides that I still regret selling. I loved that guitar and it was only $350 new. So you can find a wonderful guitar for cheap. Buying an expensive guitar is like having someone search through all the guitars to find the one that speaks to you, or at least they narrow down your search.

What is the difference between comparably priced Martins and Gibsons?

Well what is the difference between the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish @$236,000 and the Lamborghini Muricelago @$282,000?

Both will carry the groceries home, assuming you don't have to many bags.

You've got to play them, or drive them to know which one speaks to you.

P.S. When people start saying one guitar is for strumming and one is for fingerpicking I say nonsense.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Just great Nick :twisted: Thanx loads :twisted: now i'm gassssin for a Aston Martin :twisted: :roll:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Anything I can do to help :D

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

personally i am a Martin guy. there's just an intangible quality to them that i dont find in any other guitar, regardless of price. sure, martin has a few iffy guitars, but on the whole, to me there's nothing better than a martin. i can almost pick one up without looking, play it for a few seconds and know it's a martin. (yes, i've tried that hahaha).

my martin, even though it's the bottom of the barrel geetar, is just pure magnificence.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Kool ...i bet some people (like me ..) would simply love a forum titled 'The GAS forum'.Come an spew out all the frustations about how you want a guitar (or a merc E-class 240 ) badly and can't get it really :lol:

ReplyQuote