Notifications
Clear all

Me = Class of '09

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@valenite)
Topic starter  

Yup! that's right, on Thursday, I'm graduating. :D but besides the good news, I'm getting money for graduation and my SG(clone, made by Main Street guitars) is in dire need of new strings, as it's developing a bit of rust on the current ones. I had a question about strings. I generally play Metal but occasionally play some classic rock, Most commonly Metallica-ish sounding stuff. I'm very open minded about strings, as I've just been playing for about two years now. Let me know what you would reccomend or what you use. Thanks!

~V :note2:

"Discovering myself as the days pass by."
~Valenite

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Ernie Balls on my electrics - good but not pricey, widely available, great quality control, and a decent tone. But I've taken a liking to D'Addarios, so I may switch eventually. Rotosound are also good. I generally go with 10s, but I'd move up to 11s were I not such a wuss.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the upcoming graduation! :D

There are a lot of good string manufacturers, and it really comes down to personal choice. I prefer D'Addario EXL110's, but I also used Ernie Balls, GHS Boomers, Dean Markley Blue Steels, and the list goes on... all good strings.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

schools out forever!
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys 10-46. I like the feel of nickel strings on my electrics.
they can take a beating.
don't shredders use 9's so they can do the really wild bends easily?
and down tuners, don't they need different gauges than standard to keep the tension proper?

there is a school of thought that says heavier strings have more "rock" for tone and sustain.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

and down tuners, don't they need different gauges than standard to keep the tension proper?

SRV used 13s and down tuned a half step. I've never been stupid enough to think I could copy this with any success.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

I've switched to ernie ball Skinny Top Heavy bottom strings. These things are really solid feeling! They're 10-52. You can still bend your notes on the E, B, and G with ease, but your intonation is amazing on barre chords and dropped tunings.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Congratulations on your graduation! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

srv tuned down in emulation of jimi hendrix, who i think used 11's. but i read that srv went all the way up to 17s for awhile. that's just :shock:

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I went to high school in Westchester County (NY)...Class of 1969. Normally...after the prom...the seniors would go to Jones Beach out in Long Island. But what'd we do??? Yeah, we swam bewteen the sewer fish and dolphins at Jones Beach...but all regrouped a few weeks later and headed for the rock concert held that August.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I went to high school in Westchester County (NY)...Class of 1969....a few weeks later headed for the rock concert held that August.
Ya mean the concert near Bethel?
Were you the hippie sliding in the mud?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Still got the tickets, too.

A bit poignant to see someone so young with all that life stretching out in front of him...and a guitar for company. Believe me, often enough those six strings'll be "all ya got"! Hope he makes the right life choices. Reflecting on it...I was lucky to have a "cool dad". Brought me home my first guitar and never complained about "the racket I made in the basement". I try to keep this in mind as I've got three boys...15/17/19. Hope the other dads on this site keep this in mind, as well.

Yep. "Wheel In The Sky Keeps Turnin'".

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@valenite)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I played my friend's Revenge Warlock the other day and he has some Super Slinkys on it and I liked how those felt,so I'll probably pick up a set of those, but I'm gonna keep your suggestion in mind for future reference. :] :note2:

"Discovering myself as the days pass by."
~Valenite

ReplyQuote