Clear all

Merry Christmas to me

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
(@banre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I got my Christmas present from my wife yesterday. I had decided I wanted to pick up a Vox Valtronix AD30VT amp. I found a great deal on Musician's Friend for a "Scratch and Dent" item. She ordered it and it got here yesterday.

I am having a blast with this thing. Prior to this, I had a little 10 watt Marshall that has the tone of a tin can. HUGE difference!!!

And of course, an obligatory pic...

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Cool. Congrats

Tell her I could use one to. :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Congrats on the new guitar

I wish christmas would come early for me :(

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Does she have a sister! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Shweeet!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Glad you like the amp. It looks small enough to carry conveniently.

Is your wife making you keep it in the garage or are you on a time-out? :D

At least you got the couch.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Congrats on the new amp.

The guitar looks beautiful, the one right next to it, whatever that is, gorgeous.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Got the same amp, great piece of equipment. Take your time to read the manual, the controls are somewhat different for each model. Espescially the way the EQ works can be quite different from model to model. In case you hadn't already figured it out, there are four volume controls, and the EQ is often almost a three-band volume control:

Volume: Increases the volume and nothing else, use it to set different presets to the same volume.
Gain: Adjusts the pre-amps gain resulting in the main part of overdrive.
Power: Changes the transistort poweramp's wattage, little change in sound, just volume.
Master: Influences how hard you drive the valvetronix circuitry, setting this to max would be 'cranking the tube'

So if you want it very clean pump the Power and Volume, if you want to get the tube warmth you lower those and increase the Master and if you want to seriously overdrive the amp you increase the gain. Hope this helps a bit, there's so much possible with it tonally I'm sure you'll be even more pleased with it later on.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone.

Bish: We recent turned the garage into a computer/music/sewing(wife) room. I ran satellite out there and everything. Even put a window unit in for those hot summer days.

Taso: That is actually a SX GG1 STD in natural Mahogany. Yeah, the same SX that's in that monster thread going on currently. I love it, especially considering it was only $150! The only thing I would change about it is the frets; they are very jumbo. The finish is really beautiful.

Arjen: Yeah, I read that in the manual. I have just been playing with the presets so far, not even adding effects. I'm trying to get a good baseline for each model. I love the Boutique clean and the AC30 models. I read before I bought it that some people think that Vox spent more time perfecting those AC15 and AC30 models, since they were their amps. Not sure about that, but the overdrive on the AC30 is scrumptious.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

8)

Have fun with your new toy!

Glad to hear your wife helps support your habit! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice! Vox amps are great. Enjoy.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That amp looks really cool after doing some research. And after Arjen's excellent manual interpretation I feel I'm very familiar with that amp already. Thanks for the education, guys.

If I may ask, sold as S&D, what was actually wrong with it? I've sort of stayed away from S&D items.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If I may ask, sold as S&D, what was actually wrong with it? I've sort of stayed away from S&D items.

Absolutely nothing! Came in the original box. The manual had the model and serial number written on the back of it, like someone had recorded that info on there. I think someone bought it, didn't like or whatever, then returned. There isn't a scratch on it, really.

As for their S&D items, they have a 45 day return policy on them, just like new equipment. Without that, I wouldn't have chanced it. But given the price and that if it was a bust I could return it, I told her to go for it.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks for the info.

I did buy a Fostex digital 8-track recorder w/CD burner that was an open box item from MF. I haven't been unpleasantly surprised plus I saved $120 dollars. So I guess I did chance it once.

I have no idea what the final cost was for you but looking at it new, it seems like a good buy anyhow.

Nice shopping job, I must say.

Enjoy that bad boy! 8)

Plus, I digress, I meant to comment on the guitars....BEAUTIFUL!!!! and a great "family room" to practice in. You got it goin' on!!!! :wink: :wink:

Bish

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Happy Festivus man..enjoy!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2