Most Underrated Guitarist Of All Time

86 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
14 K Views
(@johnnycobra)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Who get's your vote for the most underrated guitarist out there?

My vote goes to Prince.

-Cobra

Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook exposes the Six Biggest Mistakes guitarists make that destroys their progress. Free instant download at StartRocking.com

(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I vote for me as the MOST UNDERSTOOD :wink:

As in.......

"What key are yo playing?"
"Eb"
"Are you sure?"
"I Think So"

:D

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

*yawn*

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Thought you tricked me didn't you???
if the most underated guitarist out there was known then he couldn't possibly be the most underated could he?
Ha! Ha! I Win!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

There's no question about this.

It's me.

The rating of my talent is so small that it's completely invisible to the naked eye.

Yet, in my heart of hearts I know that I'm dazzling good. It's only the fickleness and ignorance of the listening public that's keep me out of the charts.

Yes, that's it.... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@johnnycobra)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

if the most underated guitarist out there was known then he couldn't possibly be the most underated could he?
Ha! Ha! I Win!!!

oh but you are incorrect!

i said most underrated, not least known (while being awesome). there is a big difference.

for example, we could say someone like the late Shawn Lane was the least known great guitar player out there (or whoever, that was just an example).

but then, there are people that are very well known, and people may even know they play guitar, but they are underrated for their playing ability (maybe they don't play a lot of solos on their albums or whatever).

for example, that popular, mainstream country singer guy, Keith Urban, i never knew he could even play guitar but look at him kick butt in this clip (watch the whole thing):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YKNNLfr_vx4

Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook exposes the Six Biggest Mistakes guitarists make that destroys their progress. Free instant download at StartRocking.com

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Travis Twit can play pretty darn good! Neil Young comes to mind and Steven stills is no slacker either. :wink: --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

alex lifeson of rush, no one ever says his name when they talk about great guitar players
the guy can play 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@homestar_kevin)
Eminent Member

alex lifeson of rush, no one ever says his name when they talk about great guitar players
the guy can play 8)
+1

He's really amazing

I can't wait for someone to say something worth quoting here...

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

the guy can play

Me too - one of my favourite players. How about Billy Duffy?

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Derek Trucks...So many people have no idea who he is, and he's an incredible musician. Touring with Clapton right now.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea Derek is good but I'm not sure he's that underrated though maybe it's because I've seen him several times, but besides toring with Clapton he plays with the Allman Brothers and his own band.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Ha! Ha! I Win!!!

oh but you are incorrect!

i said most underrated, not least known (while being awesome). there is a big difference.

for example, we could say someone like the late Shawn Lane was the least known great guitar player out there (or whoever, that was just an example).

but then, there are people that are very well known, and people may even know they play guitar, but they are underrated for their playing ability (maybe they don't play a lot of solos on their albums or whatever).

for example, that popular, mainstream country singer guy, Keith Urban, i never knew he could even play guitar but look at him kick butt in this clip (watch the whole thing):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YKNNLfr_vx4

:roll: :roll: :roll:
"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha... " ~Vizzini: The Princess Bride"~

~KP wrote ~ *yawn*

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

I agree on Alex Lifeson for most underrated rock player.
In country I would think Ronnie Prophet...also the late Don Rich & Roy Nichols.
And in blues, Albert King.

( If someone finds a thread boring, why wouldn't they just skip over it and ignore it ?
Posting "Yawn" is rather impolite to the originator, for no reason... :roll: )

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I agree on Alex Lifeson for most underrated rock player.
In country I would think Ronnie Prophet...also the late Don Rich & Roy Nichols.
And in blues, Albert King.

( If someone finds a thread boring, why wouldn't they just skip over it and ignore it ?
Posting "Yawn" is rather impolite to the originator, for no reason... :roll: )

Who's the most "under-rated/over-rated/greatest/worstests" threads aren't just boring. They demonstrate a point of view of music that is amazingly off-kilter.

It presumes that quality of an art is quantifiable and that it is possible to compare musicians across eras and genres.

How does the original poster propose to compare the "rating" of, say, Lonnie Johnson , with the "rating" of Al DiMeola? One was playing at the dawn of the electric age and had the great insight to play a solo on a single string instead of playing a chord . . . while the other had the signfiicant advantage of having 50 years of jazz guitar soloists to draw upon. And that's within a single genre.

Can anyone explain to me how to compare the "rating" of Gaspar Sanz, a 16th century Baroque guitarist and composer with the "rating" of Joan Jett?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6