Notifications
Clear all

Multiple Guitars? Why?

61 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I knew I wrote about this a while back...

Sure you should.

Have one for standard tuning
one for open tuning
one for DADGAD
one with higher action for slide
an electric with hardtail
an electric with tremelo
an acoustic 12
an electric 12
a midi guitar and synth combo

an acoustic parlor, dreadnaught, jumbo
a travel guitar
a beater

but when?

I don't really remember all the way back to only having two, but this may help.

"When to buy guitar number....."

#2. Right after you buy the first and shortly before buying the 3rd

#3. Between 11am and about 2pm on a weekday - the kids are in school, and you can get the full attention of the sales staff if you need it.

#4. Anytime after performing a major remodeling of a bathroom or kitchen. Forgiveness of your minor transgression is assured.

#5. When you get your Income Tax refund.

#6. When you get your Christmas bonus. "Hey, I don't work this hard for nothing."

#7. Your first gig. It would be irresponsible of you not to have a backup and numbers one through six are too nice to just use as backups.

#8. When Music123 or Guitar Centar has a big sale. Think of all the money you saved by acting now. I mean that's enough money to take the wife and kids on vacation. Sometime between the second and third Island of the cruise your wife will talk to you again.

#9. See number 3. Again between 11 and 2 on a weekday, that way you can sneak it back into the house. Deceit is easier than getting forgiveness.

#10. As soon as the money in your secret secondary direct deposit account reaches the purchase price.

#11. The right time for number 11 is after accepting the job offer for your second job so you can pay off the previous nine still on your credit card.

#12. Number 12 is after the wife has taken the kids and left you and you notice you now have an empty room to fill.

#13. Number 13 is after you've attended the court ordered marital therapy for being obsessive compulsive and you notice the therapist is wearing a fender t-shirt. After an hour of talking about the merits of Tusq vs. bone he says: "Dude, you don't have a problem. Let's get together and jam."

#14. Number 14? Well 13 is just an unlucky number, bad mojo.

#15. Number 15 is after you tell the wife the story of the therapist in the Fender t-shirt and she tells you "that's it, we are never coming back". Then you pack her stuff in boxes, the movers get it and the empty space cries out to you to be filled

#16. Number 16? Come on, I mean you did just have the temperature controlled/humidity controlled room built. Wouldn't it be a waste not to keep it fully stocked?

After about 16 you just stop counting. Denial is easier that way.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Back in the "old days" when I was on the road, most guitar players had a guitar. That's it, one guitar. When they got something new, they traded in their old one.

Oh, sometimes they also had an acoustic, but that didn't count.

At that time I had one tenor sax, and one alto. That was it.

But it's a lot more fun now!!!!!!!!!

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's Randy Bachman's answer to this question.

And, just for reference, here's a comparison of the sounds of various guitars that he did on his radio show.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The second link is very good! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I liked that mp3. Thanks, man!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

He does a pretty cool 2 hour show on teh weekends.
You can her it http://www.cbc.ca/vinyltap/ if you want to.
A lot of cool stories, and some great music.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just checked out a few minutes of it. Neat stuff. Thanks again. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Because these are unwieldy:

I saw Cheap Trick in concert. Ric plays a different guitar for every song. Could this be a valid reason to need a lot of them?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Rick is a major self-professed and activist guitar collector. :lol: At least he uses them and he earns a living, lucky guy. 8)

Randy Bachman & Billy Gibbons are also big guitar collectors; exactly how big I don't know, just hold the faux fur please.

I'm not against collecting guitars if at least one person appreciates it. It can be like any collection or they can be played.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I have multiple guitars because they're more practical and aesthetically pleasing than multiple wedding rings. 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Randy Bachman & Billy Gibbons are also big guitar collectors; exactly how big I don't know,

Here's a bit of a tour of Bachman's home. I dare you to find a room without a few guitars in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1tZyOLmpJ0

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd bet you a dozen donuts that if I had stuck to one guitar, that I'd be a much better player.

I've found a big improvement in my playing over the last three years - since I bought the Telecaster. I got rid of most of my guitars after that; all I have now is the Tele, Squier Tele in open G, my main acoustic, and an old beater acoustic in open G.
I'd say I play the Tele about 89% of the time, the acoustic 10%, and the other two get a few moments every now and then. It got to the stage where I didn't want to put the Tele down to play slide, so I practised slide in standard; now I hardly ever use an open tuning for slide.

I think once you've found that ONE guitar that works for you, you just can't be bothered with anything else - that's what it's been like for me, anyway. Maybe it's the closest I'll ever get to a Zen moment, but when I'm playing guitar and I'm in the zone, it really feels as if the guitar's part of me - and probably the best part, too. I know once I've picked the Tele up, I find it very hard to put down. Feels like I've been playing a few minutes and a couple of hours have gone by.

GAS? Nah, I'm cured. No antibiotics needed, just a Telecaster.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Randy Bachman & Billy Gibbons are also big guitar collectors; exactly how big I don't know,

Here's a bit of a tour of Bachman's home. I dare you to find a room without a few guitars in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1tZyOLmpJ0

Fantastic! Just watched twice. I had to stop justifying my excess by telling others that Randy had 300 Gretsches, when he sold them all to either Gretsch or Fender. All right then now he has 500!!! OMG, now that's even more than before. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'll have to search out the video. I can't see it. something about the CBC and copyrights, etc.

I did hear one time that he had a massive collection and sold it (maybe lent?) to a Gretsch museum.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

It's foggy in my mind, but yes, he sold the 300 or thereabouts guitars to Gretsch, at some point. They went to their museum, as Gretsch did not have such a fabulous collection themselves. I thought he was giving it up, and incidentally, being true to his deal with Yamaha. :shock: Yeah, now in the video, he says he has only 21 grandchildren and 500 guitars. :?:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5