Clear all

Multiple Guitars? Why?

61 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think I'm with Vic on this one. I still gravitate to the Strat because for whatever reason it feels more comfortable in my hands so it tends to be the go-to guitar even with the new Epi LP which I do like and try to play more and more of I usually find myself playing the Strat 85% of the time.

Roy I'm curious why you think you would have been better sticking with one guitar?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Roy I'm curious why you think you would have been better sticking with one guitar?
Better player might have been the wrong phrase, but an ability would exist that would allow me to be able to coax whatever kind of sound out of my "one" guitar that I could, in conjuction with effects & amps of course. Actually fingering, fretting and strumming? Just a constant slate would have to amount for something. What, I'm not sure.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I prefer Les Pauls so that is why I have so many Les Pauls and Les Paul style guitars. They come in different colors don't they? :mrgreen:

Note though that 3 of TR's 4 Les Pauls are black :roll:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Note though that 3 of TR's 4 Les Pauls are black

Henry Ford - "you can have it in any colour you like, as long as it's black!"

You drive a Ford, by any chance, TR?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Have one for standard tuning
one for open tuning
one for DADGAD
one with higher action for slide
an electric with hardtail
an electric with tremelo
an acoustic 12
an electric 12
a midi guitar and synth combo

an acoustic parlor, dreadnaught, jumbo
a travel guitar
a beater

Hmmmm - what I DON'T see in that list is [A] a lap steel, a pedal steel, or [C] a Resonator.....Nick, I think you need to have words with Ricochet.......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think I'm with Vic on this one. I still gravitate to the Strat because for whatever reason it feels more comfortable in my hands so it tends to be the go-to guitar even with the new Epi LP which I do like and try to play more and more of I usually find myself playing the Strat 85% of the time.

I sincerely believe that there's one guitar out there - THE ONE! - for everyone who wants to play. I'm lucky, I found mine. Chris, sounds like you've got yours - that white strat in pics I've seen?

Strat, Tele, LP, SG, whatever - the right guitar - THE ONE - is out there waiting for you. Go find it! Hunt it down, try it, test it.....you'll know THE ONE when you find it.

I've been doubly lucky - the SPT Acoustic I bought off Nick is, well, it's THE acoustic guitar I dreamed about....yeah, there are better acoustics out there, but the SPT seems to like me....ah, hell with it, what's a little retuning now and then just to keep your hands on your favourite guitars!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Note though that 3 of TR's 4 Les Pauls are black

Henry Ford - "you can have it in any colour you like, as long as it's black!"

You drive a Ford, by any chance, TR?

Vic
Ummmmmm ............. yes :roll: My truck is a Ford F150.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ummmmmm ............. yes My truck is a Ford F150.
That's the law up there, ain't it? F-150 with 800 lbs of sand bags in the back. :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ummmmmm ............. yes My truck is a Ford F150.

Black? No matter, I'm gonna guess you've got plenty of room for a few guitars in it?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Dark green ......... and yes, it is the law. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member

Strat, Tele, LP, SG, whatever - the right guitar - THE ONE - is out there waiting for you. Go find it! Hunt it down, try it, test it.....you'll know THE ONE when you find it.

Hey, if I'm a beginner, could I recognize it? I want to to start trying different guitars, but I'm afraid I will not recognize the one and miss it. :roll: Will try them anyway though, it's simply so interesting!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey, if I'm a beginner, could I recognize it? I want to to start trying different guitars, but I'm afraid I will not recognize the one and miss it.

Oh yes, you'll know it when you see it...it'll grab your attention and it won't let go. It'll virtually jump off the wall and into your hands - and once you've played it, it'll refuse to go back on the wall and will demand to go home with you. Should you ignore these demands, it will follow you home, much to the displeasure of the guitar shop owner who will demand compensation and/or your head on a plate. Once the Police are involved, that's when the mud REALLY hits the air-conditioning; litigation can take many years off your life and much money from your wallet.

Safest thing all round, I've found, is to give in to your natural impulses and just buy the damn thing. Either that, or stay away from guitar shops - but that's not really an option, is it?

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

When you're a newbie, you need to play the field, and play as many guitars as possible. You probably wouldn't recognise "the one" now, but that's cool- you still want to learn about what makes them all different at this point. (Is this sounding like dating advice, or what???) Learn about which features and characteristics are important for you, and about what kind of sound you want to make.

I've got "one." Don't know about "the one," to tell you the truth. It's a killer axe- but it's got a floyd rose. Love it for some things, but don't love it for drop d.

I guess I'm a guitar polygamist.

Ande

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Frank Zappa said "the one" was the instrument that said, "Take me, I'm yours" when you pick it up. Frank had several "one's" in his arsenal, however....

I'm still looking -- plotting and scheming -- about "the one." My modded Kalamazoo KG2 is pretty close, but it needs some alterations to be a serious "one." The neck pickup (stock "melody maker" single coil) is the best electric guitar sound in the world, period. The bridge pickup however is weak -- I think I'd like my '68 Gibson P-90 there, along with a tailpiece bridge, decent tuners, perhaps a bit of onboard preamplification... maybe a new body made of real wood rather than MDF... but if I start tinkering with it, I might lose the magic of that neck pup, which would be tragic....

...or maybe a nice fake strat with the Melody Maker pup at the neck, a Gibby P-90 at the bridge? The strat-style trem bridge is a definite improvement in sound over the Leo Quan Badass presently mounted on the 'Zoo. But that strat configuration changes the scale length & pup positions, creating an entirely different guitar. Could be better, could be... less than better.

At the moment, if I were called out to play electric guitar somewhee, I would pack three instruments: Kalamazoo KG2 (two single-coils with phase/series/parallel switching); Spectrum AIL-275 fake strat (stock pickups -- three single-coils and five-way switch); Charvel CHS-3 ("superstrat" with non-locking trem and two Jackson humbuckers). The Charvel probably would be strung with .010s, in standard tuning; the 'Zoo and the Spectrum with .012s, in open D and/or G.

Until I can find one guitar which does all those things at one time, that's the best I can do.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I still think a noob cannot pick out a guitar on sight and have it be successful. There are too many factors. Luck, and modern CNC devices (and/or other modern manufacturing innovations) making the cheapies mostly playable are the biggest factors. I think it's that second or third one that really grabs you. For me, it was my second one that made guitar playing do-able, and the third one that is still my favorite. (my Epi Lp Custom)

My first guitar was a starter kit Yamaha from a wholesale club. I could not fret easy chords, like Am or C. It took upwards of a minute sometimes to get a clear strike. My second guitar had a wider neck and I could do it instantly. I kept the 1st one around for a few years, but I made it turn into a $50 bill and used it to help get a cheap used ESP LTD. I never could play anything worth a darned on that thing.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5