Notifications
Clear all

My Riviera turned into an epi LP Ultra III

31 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Bummer! Make sure they make it right though. Look foreward to pics and sounds when the new one arrives!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just a minor update.

I called yesterday as was instructed to and founf out the the PO has been cut, forwarded, accepted, etc. I should find out Monday when it is supposed to arrive.

I did pull it out and played it for a bit yesterday, but decided to just put it back and not risk doing anything dumb. In doing so, I lifted too soon and hit the ceiling fan light kit. No damage to anything involved. Jus a lot of noise, and another reason to leave it along until swap time. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Did that lot of noise include baratone profanity?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Did that lot of noise include baratone profanity?
A bit. Not as much as you'd think. no marks on the guitar. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I forgot to update. 12/15 ETA now. Good thing I have more. I'm gonna move this one into a case. I just know I'm gonna do something clumsy. Then the baritone-drone will increase in volume. :roll: :roll:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The waiting is the hardest part! Hy honey burst LP is a GC guitar. I really liked the vintage burst they had but it had a big dent in it. "We could order you one." No, I'll just take this one. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

The waiting is the hardest part! Hy honey burst LP is a GC guitar. I really liked the vintage burst they had but it had a big dent in it. "We could order you one." No, I'll just take this one. :roll:

I lucked out with mine... I was looking at the one on the wall, but it had a big dent in the back, a missing knob, and a broken switch... {I know!!... WTF??? :roll: ] So they were not willing to knock any off the price... so I asked if they had another. They showed one.... and after 20 min.. couldnt find it... SO said they would order, and I bailed on it... then they said they would check one more place, and they found it in a box, unopened... Popped it out and it was PERFECT and frankly was one of those "Halo" finds!!! Just spoke to me, and went home with me!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It's amazing the shape of some of the guitars at GC. Knobs and switches missing everywhere. MF has plaintops on sale right now. I have to be good though. Don't need another. $399!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

It's amazing the shape of some of the guitars at GC. Knobs and switches missing everywhere. MF has plaintops on sale right now. I have to be good though. Don't need another. $399!
That's a great price!!!! Mines a plain top. I like it just fine

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My honey is a plaintop and my black standard is my favorite yet was least expensive. It was still more than the $399 for any finish special that is going on now. :x Oh well .........

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Epiphones temporary price increases. :evil:

The SG that I had was bought while prices were high. On sale for $387 or something like that, a year later it was $299 and stayed there for at least a couple of years. :roll:

After it went back up a bit, I did a flip via Craigs list and sold the SG and got my Honey Burst like yours (TR), except that the Honey Burst color changed between our purchases. I like yours (TR) better.

I'm hoping that there isn't a color change on that faded cherry we (Paul) and I have when I get my replacement next month.

I there is, I might have to raid both ends of upstate and do some mid-night swapping. No worries. Not until Spring time - or June - whichever comes first.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, things took a really weird twist yesterday. I've been waiting two months for the magical December 15th to roll around. Yesterday I find out it's not available for another 3-5 months. Long story short, i had to go chose a replacement guitar for my replacement guitar. ordinarily i would have had to hold on and wait, I think, but due to this 7 month ordeal, the manager opted to offer me a replacement. Only rule is same approx cost. I went in, found two items and decided on this one. And yes, it had all of the paperwork, cables, etc, etc.

It got unpacked from the box just the night before and set up on the wall. I didn't even know these were made. It's an Epiphone ES-339 Ultra. It is a 335-shaped, but LP sized semi-hollow. It's got the same pickups that the Ultra III had, except these work. My computer also recognizes the guitar when I connect it via USB. I've not installed everything yet, but this is a lot further than I ever got before. It got quite a bit of attention by folks walking past while we were looking at it while it was set up on the counter.

I replaced the strings, of course, and made only minor adjustments otherwise. Just a full and a half turn on the two saddle ends for string height. The neck looks straight. Everything else appears to be well. I still need to check intonation, but I'll wait a couple of days for strings to break in and give this thing a chance to breathe.

My biggest surprise was how well it sounded unplugged. I know some say that if it sounds good unplugged that it will sound good plugged in. I'll try other flavors of tone later on, but my go to clean tone is sounding good using this. I'm pleased so far, and am really hoping that this is it.

I would be lynched here if I didn't post pictures:

and a bit closer

I'll make a recording in a few days after everything gets intonated and otherwise settled/broken in.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nice looking guitar

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Ohhhhhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Looks awesome! I like the green tuner knobs also

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well it's about time! Nice! 8)