Clear all

NECK WIDTH

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

just over a year with my trusty washburn acoustic and i'm beginning to make some 'proper' music and feel its time i began to play more electric geeeetar....

i have a lovely fender 212dsp amp but lack an axe to shred.....

i have a tele copy i bought a while back but i find the neck too thin.....ie i feel the strings are too close together to fret anything cleanly....

so can anyone give suggestions as to what makes of guitar might suit me more.....then i can go shopping with some idea of what to look for.....i'm a bit of an impulsive buyer with a good rating on EBAY :lol:

in anticipation guys n gals 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

A couple of us at different times went to an Ibanez because of the wider necks. I had the same problem. A cheap strat wannabe thing where I could not clear a C or Am chord. Picked up the Ibanez and instantly could.

Mine was a GAX-70, but I'm sure others have wide necks. Probably listed in specs on their site maybe?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

The neck on my Gordon Smith is 45mm wide at the nut and pretty slim (like a wide thin 'u' profile). Its immensely comfy even if it took a few go's to acclimatise. I had to get rid of my beloved Yam pacifica as my fingers were a bit crowded on its 42mm neck (with a generic c shape). My ovation neck is 43mm at the nut but with a soft vee profile, that too is pretty comfy.

Id have a serious look for a Gordon Smith - they can be had for good prices. I quite like the wide chunky neck on the PRS SE too. Or maybe a strat with a soft V neck?

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Just a pure guess, but is that Tele copy a Squier? I have a Squier Standard Tele and the neck is quite a bit narrower at the nut than my Fender American Tele. It took me awhile to get used to it myself. But I've had it a few years now and it no longer gives me a problem, even if I switch from a guitar with a wider neck. :D

If you like the Tele, the Fender's are wider at the nut and much easier to play. I tried a Schecter Tele style guitar once and it had a very comfortable and wide neck.

Overall, I like a wide neck myself, even with average size hands I find them easier to fret. But I do like one thing about my Squier's narrow neck, I find it much easier to wrap my thumb over and fret on the bass E string with it. I actually like this, if I can fret the 6th string with my thumb I prefer this over playing full barre chords with my index covering all 6 strings. So, there are some advantages to a narrow neck.

I would just try lots of guitars out and go with the one that feels most comfortable to you. But even more important than feel, search for a guitar with good tone, this is what matters most. It is good to play electrics unplugged and listen carefully to them. If it sounds really good unplugged, it will sound great amplified. If it sounds dead unplugged, it won't sound much better amplified. So always play electrics unplugged and listen carefully to them.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for getting back on this guys.....

i'm now the proud owner of a 1981 Gordon Smith GS1 :D

Darth was spot on....it fits like a glove and begs to be played...got it for a steal too :lol:

when i finally get round to taking some pics i'll post em up....but here's the ebay link...check out the fretboard 8)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350033721173&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=022

Drool

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

looks pretty cool. congrats. It is a basic, no frills, just jam on it guitar!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Strange, how is that scalloped neck working for you?

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Strange, how is that scalloped neck working for you?

yeah...i kinda like it a lot....however....

being a heavy handed novice and only really used to the acoustic i have noticed how sharp it plays due to excessive pressure with my stubby little fingers...but i'm geting there :roll:

but its got me keen to play, which can ONLY be good!!! :D

Drool

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Props to you then, I got so frustrated I first played one I never dared to pick another scalloped axe up. :oops: Supposedly changing back from scalloped to conventional is a lot easier, I wouldnt mind hearing from you in a year or so if you notice such a big change in 'conventional technique' that others have reported. Have fun!

ReplyQuote