New Tool CD

80 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Steve-O

Hey, your opinion is equal to any others. But consider this:

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd has the world's record as the album that stayed in Billboard's Top 200 albums for the longest period of time.

Wanna know how long this album was in the Top 200?

15 YEARS

Tool will never do that. Too boring.

There is no chance of Tool ever doing that, or even most other bands, if any. However, I don't think Tool fans will mind to much. There kind of like a cult favourite, and people are really divided on how they feel about them. 10,000 Days certainly isn't any Dark Side of The Moon, but it is a good album, that Tool fans will love, if no one else does, I don't think anybody would mind.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Off He Goes

Oh, I know there are many Tool fans, and I would also agree that they have a cult following.

But as good as Tool is, comparing their songwriting skills to Pink Floyd is absurd. Even Tool fans say that Tool lyrics are often ridiculous and even silly.

I did not come on here to bash Tool. When I first heard them I thought they sounded fantastic. And they do know how to get an awesome sound. And I also believe they are accomplished musicians, you can hear that easily.

But that great sound is all I get from Tool. And while their rhythms are tight and difficult, they are not nearly as complex as people might believe. Most songs are 3 or 4 power chords played over and over and over.

They are horrible songwriters. Every song sounds almost exactly like the next. Tool is not very flexible, they seem to almost follow a formula to write a song and follow it every time. They lack creativity. Lots of bands have complex rhythms but can also write meaningful music like Rush. These guys are no Rush.

Tool is just too repetitive. I don't mind a long song if it goes somewhere. But to play the same simple progression endlessly (even if the rhythms are great) is completely boring. If they cut their songs in half they would still be too long.

And look what folks here wrote. They said Tool is good to listen to while you are busy doing something else, because if you really listen you will get BORED.

And you will. That is, if you are not caught up in the hype.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Its funny how people view songs. Wes said that Pink Floyd were better songwriters then Tool, and that tool songs weren't as complex. The thing is that Tool have invented new time signatures and have a drummer who is recongnized as being one of the best in the world. I have a fairly hard time playing Tool songs on guitar, but can pick out Pink Floyd songs, solos and all by ear.

I guess its just a matter of what your used to.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I've never heard Tool that i know of. and I may be alone in this opinion but I think that one of the things that make a good or great song great is that other people can and want to play it.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

wow, thanks guys, all of you. I found the debates quite interesting. As far as getting bored...I tend to get bored of any music i listen to long enough and by that time I usually have something new to listen to.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

wow, thanks guys, all of you. I found the debates quite interesting. As far as getting bored...I tend to get bored of any music i listen to long enough and by that time I usually have something new to listen to.

Thats ture for me too. Case in point, Nick Drake. I love his music, and he is a fair influence on my own songs, but I find him boring alot of the time. I really need to be in the mood for Nick Drake.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Thats ture for me too. Case in point, Nick Drake. I love his music, and he is a fair influence on my own songs, but I find him boring alot of the time. I really need to be in the mood for Nick Drake.

Damian rice is the same way. Occasionally his music can be moving, but most of the time it's only good to fall asleep to.

I actually like Wes's comparison between Tool and Pink Floyd. Really, who has the attention span for Animals?

As far as tools lyrics, I love them. I always thought Pink Floyd took itself too seriously. They took that one introspective train of thought and ran with it for several albums without a break. You don't like the music industry. WE GET IT!!! That's probably why I've met Pink Floyd fan's who thought Piper at the gates of dawn was their best cd, it's the only glimpse of the band having any sort of sense of humor. Now I love Pink Floyd, but the fact that their emotional range was between vaguely meloncollie to disturbingly meloncolie is, I think, a limitation tool never possesed.

By the way, is anyone else out there severely digging Right in two? Sweeeeet.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Saber makes a bunch of great points, especially about some writing skills. But I disagree with animals, I think thats a great album.

I'm not so much digging Right in Two, as I am The Pot.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I actually think it's great too. But to be honest, it always eventually subsides into backround music.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I more or less agree with Wes, though I have heard Tool songs that I think are great. Overall they just stay in that endless groove thing.

Wes, I also like Maynard's voice. Try A Perfect Circle. Maynard "let's loose" on those albums... in fact... I think he really came in to his own as a singer with A Perfect Circle. A better band and with better songs than Tool.

You can argue the rythem section angle. My favorite band is Rush... so I "get it". But playing well or even in an innovative way is not necessarily good songwriting.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's really amazing (and I guess that's a good thing) how music can be so many different things to so many people.

I've alwyas loved Pink floyd yet to be honest I never really paid alot of attention to the lyrics I was more into their sound. As for Tool I like them but can only take them at certain times and I've always Liked A Perfect Circle better.

Now you talk about Rush and Neil Peart and I absolutely hate everything about that band. Just hearing Geddy Lee sing makes me sick, nothing could ever make me want to hear any of their music.

Of course that's just my opinion but I always find it interesting how you can love some bands and absolutely hate another and I have no rhyme or reason for what I like it's a matter of hearing and something connects subconciuosly.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This has turned into a great little debate. :D

I don't hate Tool, as I keep saying, when I first heard them I was amazed at their sound. And I really like the singer's voice.

But I went out and bought the album. God, it was horrible. This was Lateralus. I really liked Schism, but that was the only good song in my opinion. The rest of the songs sounded almost exactly like Schism. I'm sorry, but Tool is one-dimensional. Even a great sound gets boring after 3 ten minutes songs that sound the same. I had to literally force myself to listen to the whole album. I tried another time to listen to it and just hated it. It was a total waste of money.

You can say what you want about Pink Floyd. They have made movies and Broadway plays based on their albums. When they do that with a Tool album then I'll believe they write good songs. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Tool is a cult band. They have a super heavy sound, and slightly satanic vibe. They write songs against Christ. Wow, how original. And they are artsy fartsy. Tool takes themselves too seriously. How can you say that about Pink Floyd?

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Give me a break, Pink Floyd albums are full of humor, they don't take themselves seriously at all.

But to each their own.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?":mrgreen: That always makes me laugh...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

Just hearing Geddy Lee sing must me sick nothing could ever make me want to hear any of their music.

Well, I suppose that one could make a similar case against another of my favorites... Ozzy and Black Sabbath. Do we see a pattern here? :D

And even though both Wes and I enjoy Maynard's voice, that is not exactly making us think that Tool is great.

Actually, Geddy's voice has changed quite a bit over the years. Not nearly as high and shrill as it once was... in fact... I think his work on the latest album "Vapor Trails" might be his best vocals ever.... and certainly no where near the early stuff.

Different strokes indeed. :)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?":mrgreen: That always makes me laugh...

You know, I always thought it was "If you don't clean your feet ... " and it never made sense to me. Why was cleaning feet a prerequisite for pudding? Seemed all too serious. :wink:

I like Tool's inconsistent but sometimes brilliant Ænima album, as well as some of Undertow, but I share Wes' opinion of Lateralus - too much the same thing. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing 10,000 Days.

Oh, and Tool's videos are much more interesting than Pink Floyd's, especially that long, boring, dark, humorless one with Bob Geldof. :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6