Clear all

OK- So I never Got Into Dylan

39 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Blueline,

Those song lengths explain why we don't hear them on the radio, eh? I personally like longer songs. Often results in an expanded musical journey and the good ones let you travel along. It's like the Allman Brothers. Will you take whippin Post in 5 or 22 minutes? Um, gimme 22 please, and add 13 minutes of 'Elizibeth Reed' too.

It was interesting to see that kind of music played with a different type of energy. I dig longer songs. I think we typically hear some of the guitar tones we heard done in the short bursts of energy songs, and not the musical exploration tunes. I also, like it or not, first thought of Rush when they started playing the first song. Later on, maybe a song or two later, I thought of Queensryche's lead singer.

I do have to listen to them again and will do so this afternoon. I'm not sure where they want me. Odd statement, yes, but it makes sense when you think about it. Do they want me banging my head, or do they want me hanging back and riding the groove?

Thanks for sharing.

Roy

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

:note2: Do they want me banging my head, or do they want me hanging back and riding the groove? :note2:
Good points. I think you're correct on both. Being intimately familiar with their entire catalogue, the best answer I can give you is - both. The'y're are not so much of a shred and bang your head kinda band. The journey for them is the important part. This band has gone into new territory and I've loved the ride!

:note2: first thought of Rush when they started playing the first song. Later on, maybe a song or two later, I thought of Queensryche's lead singer. :note2: I can see that. Not too far aof a stretch there.

The thing that most impresses me about the band is that each member is extremely good. Scary good. I'm not talking about the listen to how many notes I can play in 15 seconds kind of talent, I mean this group has really broken boundaries. In 1999, they released Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory to highly critical acclaim. The album was a first for them in that it followed a "rock opera" format by telling a story and by establishing characters. This truely showcased their talents much more than any of their efforts to date at the time.

I could go on...me likes this band ...a lot... :oops:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, they're kind of like the Bob Dylan of Heavy Metal. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, they're kind of like the Bob Dylan of Heavy Metal. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"So you say your a Dylan fan. And you like the metal stuff. But you can't play either in your minivan while the kids are in the back yelling at each other. Well we have the perfect solution for you. It's Kidz Bop The Metal Dylan Way. We've taken all of Bob Dylan's songs (9,497 of them) and put them on this 79 CD collection. All of them have been remixed and turned into heaD banging, gut wrenching, death thrash metal but sung by the Kidz Bop children! The perfect solution for ANY family trip! Order Now!"

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, kind of like a reverse Hayseed Dixie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muyqMrsuLXw&feature=related

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Same here. I like 'em so much, I drove 8 hours (one way) with a teenager in the car to see them live in Cleveland. The incredible thing is their live show is as amazing as their studio albums. Seeing someone remember and hit all 34,629 notes in a solo live is mind-blowing. And add the solos where John Petrucci (guitar) and Jordan Rudess (keys) play solos in sync.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Same here. I like 'em so much, I drove 8 hours (one way) with a teenager in the car to see them live in Cleveland. The incredible thing is their live show is as amazing as their studio albums. Seeing someone remember and hit all 34,629 notes in a solo live is mind-blowing. And add the solos where John Petrucci (guitar) and Jordan Rudess (keys) play solos in sync.
You bet. It's insane how good they all are at the technical stuff and how good they are live. Petrucci blew me away when I saw them. In fact, he got hurt after the show and I was asked to take him to the hospital for xrays....I then found out why he was soooo good.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

:shock:

Now that's what I call Digital ...

You could insult people in several different languages simultaneously with a hand like that. :)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've been not wanting to be the one to sound stupid and ask this, but just what is that an x-ray of?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Looks like a hand.

With one more finger than either of mine.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I noticed the 3-mile island feature, but I wasn't sure if it was human or not. I guess it is?

Roy

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Blueline -

I just have to say: good for you :-) and that's about time ;-)

To me Dylan is SO special. He is like an old friend I will never part with. Yeah, I know he has made some shitty music, i can think of a few albums - but hey, there are like 40(?) to choose from. I too had "average" thought of him until I was 16. Oneof the really big ol' guys. I've heard some of his songs and I had a best of album. But then I met this girl, and she had grown up with Dylan and her father had all the records (vinyl of course). I started listening, and she showed me and explained - and suddenly something totally clicked.

It's been me and Dylan ever since (I recently wrote a song about it http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40401 )

It is stories and images and emotions like no one else ... ... (IMO)

In fact to me there are music - lots of good music. And there is Dylan. can't help it ;)

So blueline - you are in for a good time - enjoy the ride :)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Since I'm not a native english speaker I didn't like Dylan at the beginning: his songs were so long to me and the music so unsurprising that I always scratched my head why he was considered the icon of modern music...but then I started to discover some treasures : 'Blood on the Tracks','Infidels', 'Desire' ....I personally love 'Oh mercy' his first album with Daniel Lanois ,because Lanois gave Dylan a modern (and a bit U2-ish) feeling and the songs are so beautiful....but I have to confess that I still don't get 'Blonde on Blonde' in its entirety as the gem it is supposed to be treated, though there are really beautiful songs like 'Visions of Johanna'...for instance I cannot resist hearing the complete 'Stuck Inside of Mobile with a Memphis Blues Again' because it is really boring (it's 7.04 of the same music).Also, I still have 'Highway 61 Revisited' practically untouched, and from the recent albums 'Time out of Mind' is really sophorific to me.
But all the way Dylan has incredible moments: 'Like a Rolling Stone', 'Tangled Up in Blue', 'Idiot Wind', 'Series of Dreams'..yes there are treasures to be discovered. Have a nice trip!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Since I'm not a native english speaker....

You know, Roberto, I'm actually surprised at that - your English is excellent. Better than a lot of people round here who have English as a first language, so props to you.

Glad you mentioned my favourite Dylan song - Tangled Up In Blue. The first time I ever heard that, I swear, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up - there's something so utterly perfect about the whole song, those hairs still stand up every time I hear it!

One of the greatest moments of my life was when I saw Dylan in Fort Worth in 2005 - his voice was dreadful, his band was good, but very C&W (or at least Country, rather than folk influenced) and he didn't even play guitar - just sat in front of a keyboard. And you know what? I'd have paid twice as much to see exactly the same set.....the only disappointment was, he didn't play TUIB, but hell, it was like being in the presence of a deity. Not even seeing the Stones (which I've still to do!) would top that....it'd come close, as would seeing John Fogerty.....the only thing that could possibly top seeing Bob would be seeing the Beatles live, and that very definitely isn't going to happen!

It's funny, but "Stuck Inside Of Mobile" would be the highlight of any band's career if they'd written it - but because it's Dylan, and we expect absolute perfection, that track's sometimes considered as just a potboiler, or just a filler. Don't get me wrong - there are Dylan songs I'm not keen on (Baby Please Stop Crying springs to mind, though nothing else does, at least not immediately!) although for all my favourite bands - Beatles, Stones, Who, CCR, Mott The Hoople, Led Zep, etc, etc, etc - I can think of a few tracks I don't like. It's just not so with Dylan......I love his lyrics, I love his music, there isn't an album of his I wouldn't buy if I could afford them all....

Someone once called Dylan, "The Spokesman For His Generation"......I'd go further than that, I'd say Bob speaks for all of mankind - and says the things we're afraid to say, and voices our concerns, and states our point of view, whether you're rich, poor, black, white, Catholic, Jewish or Buddhist - there's something in a Dylan song somewhere that has to touch your soul and speak to the very fibre of your being. And once you find that certain something, you'll find something in EVERY Dylan song.

Dylan's THE lyrical maestro, in the same way that Jimmy Page is THE guitar maestro, or Lawrence Olivier was THE actor, or Pele was THE footballer against who all others should be measured - and will never come close.

Well - that's how it works for me, anyway!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3