Opinions on this Pirate Epiphone G-400?

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

This isn't out yet, so I can't try it personally -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-3-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=514314

I just want it because I think the graphics are so dang cool!
Can anyone give me some idea what to expect if I buy one? Maybe there have been similar models in the past that you have experience with? I'm a bit concerned that the hardware quality is more like a $100 guitar and they just get away with the higher price because of the great paint job.

Thanks,
Dennis

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

If it is made like other G-400s, it will be a good instrument. I own a G-400 and really like it. I did change out the pickups to better ones, but the guitar is quality made. Check out this site, which gives reivews of the G-400:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Epiphone/G-400/10/1

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I like the Fret Inlays....

arrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I own a regular G400 and I concur .... great instrument.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'd guess it probably is like other G-400's. The reviews for that are pretty postive. However, a big majority of the reviewers are using the guitar for metal. That's not really my style - I'm more of a blues and classic rock guy.

Is the G-400 good for music other than metal?

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, I'm a classic rock guy and I love my G400 if that helps.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well, I'm a classic rock guy and I love my G400 if that helps.

I'm a classic rock girl and I love my G400 ;)

I say go for it, it's a good instrument for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Classic rock guy here too, and I also love it. BUT, I did change the pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Classic rock guy here too, and I also love it. BUT, I did change the pickups.

What did you change to and why? Could you give any more details please? I've been eyeing off an SG Epi in the local shop, but I've also been considering just buying better pickups for another guitar that I already have. It's comfortable to play, but just has two very basic el cheapo humbuckers plus one single coil in the middle. I'd like to upgrade, but I don't know enough about pickups to make an informed choice. I don't imagine they'd be that hard to fit new ones as the spaces are already there.

Can anybody recommend good pickups to upgrade to please?

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Chris:

I upgraded my SG with GFS pickups. I was looking for an early AC/DC classic rock tone. I found a sound clip of somebody using GFS pickups on You tube, and it was the sound I was looking for. Here is the link, great tone - and the pickup is in a 51!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEUfJc6b-lU

Here is a link to GFS, which has really good prices on replacement pickups. I used Hot Liverpool pickups, but the others are also good:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/livialhuch.html

I liked these so much, that I bought their Memphis pickups and put them in my Epi Sheraton semi hollow and got pretty close to a Rickenbacker jangly sound.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great! :D

Thanks very much for taking the time to post all that CFB. I'll follow it all up. Exactly the sort of thing I need to check out. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Blues and classic rock guy here. I own one with EMG humbuckers, and it gets great Clapton-esque tones on the neck pickup. I also used to use it in a metal band, so it's very versatile

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote