Pink Floyd

30 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Discuss.

They're my favorite band (along with Jimi Hendrix Experience/Band of Gypsys)...just love them. What about you?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't care much for them but Kittie did an awesome cover of their song, Run Like Hell.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I don't care much for them but Kittie did an awesome cover of their song, Run Like Hell.
Mmm...not so much.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Here's the question:

Who's style do you prefer, Syd Barret or David Gilmour?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

..or Roger Waters?

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think Roger Waters was the backbone of the band.Almost all the songs, he wrote and composed.

He also involved himself in providing dreamy effects in their sound.

So my vote goes to Roger.I think Pink Floyd was Roger's style.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Maybe you didn't listen to their first album...all the styles of Pink Floyd are there, created and composed by Syd Barrett. Roger Waters continued his psychodelic sound and surreal lyrics, but with adding darker elements, with the superb bluesy guitar of Gilmour.Yes, Waters was the nerve of the second Floyd era,but it was not all attributed to him...now Gilmour's Floyd without Waters and Waters without Floyd is another thing to me.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Well ya i do have to listen to their first one with Syd in it.Let see.

Actually, imo, it useless to say who contributed more or less.Its a band.We don't know what they were doing or talking in the studio.I know the credits are available, but who knows one great idea came from a certain person.He might even be the mic guy.

Nobody ever mentions poor Nick Mason, whose drumming i love to hear.And Rick Wright's synth effects were fantastic.

It really is a collective thing.Same i would say about beatles.Everyone contributes in their own manner.Its a jigsaw puzzle if you ask me.Take one piece out and the whole thing looks incomplete.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Regardless of who did what why when, my vote would go to Syd. I love the rest of Floyd as well and they made awesome tracks without Syd but what little Syd did really 'does it' for me every time.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I think Syd was always the inspiration behind PF, With out him we wouldn't be having this discussion :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I saw the Autrailian Pink Floyd show about 2 weeks ago. It was surreal. Those guys really sound like Floyd... it was little odd, though, because the audience was all geared up for Floyd (had their Dark Side t-shirts on, etc) but it was a cover band playing in front of 10,000 people. Just odd.

They sounded good, though, and played a bunch of tracks - from the old stuff (Animals) through newer stuff (the Division Bell).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, it all starts with Syd Barrett. Without Syd Barrett we wouldn't have Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and probably not any of their other albums. Why is that? Because Syd Barrett pretty much taught Roger Waters how to write music. For example the song, "Breathe", the first song off of the DSOTM, Waters has said that if it weren't for Syd that song never would have happened, why? Because the lyrics are so simple, yet so deep. Waters used to think too much about what he wrote before Syd taught him.

And hell, even though the song Wish You Were Here has many, many different personal meanings to different people, the song is all about Syd Barrett. So is Shine on You crazy Diamond, all of it is.

I think they all worked together in a way though. Obviously without Syd we wouldn't have the great lyrics they had. But at the same time, without Waters way of writing lyrics, we wouldnt have what he have still. And without David Gilmour we wouldn't have that amazing guitar.

Oh, and just to throw this in there....Richard Wright (pianist) had a great voice (Us and Them/Time), and Nick Mason was a great drummer for what he had to do.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I had a chance to go see the Australian Pink Floyd show a few years ago, didn't go, and have been kicking myself ever sense.

I am a big fan of Pink Floyd, I was raised on them since I was a little kid. I'm a Gilmour fan myself, but I do love all their stuff. My favourite being Animals, I absolutely love Dogs, I thinks its the one of the best which if I recall correctly, was the only song Gilmour cowrote, the rest were Roger Waters, I think. I'm not as keen on Gilmours writing, more so his musicianship.

I also like the Divison Bell, High Hopes is my favourite track from the album. Then of course there is the classics, Dark Side, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, and so on, which are equally as good.

I always found it funny that Nick Mason was the only member to be around for all the albums, but argueably contributed the least amount of song writing.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Waters wasn't even the best bass player out there, the guy they have now is better. I can't think of his name though, Guy Pratt or something?

And nah, Waters/Gilmour co-wrote Comfortably Numb. But it was originally Gilmour's song for a solo album. Waters pretty much changed it around, but Gilmour did as well. Though Comfortably Numb is arguably their best song (I don't think so, but a lot of people do)...it's kinda the reason Pink Floyd broke up.

This is the demo of it- http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKiKKl9xetc

He's pretty much just humming the tune, but you get the point.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Personally I'm Rick Wright's fan..I just love his vocals in 'Stay' from 'Obscured by the Clouds' and his collaborations in Atom Heart Mother, specially Summer 68.
Sometimes it's too obvious when we tend to discuss DSOTM or WYWH. I think it's a good opportunity to try again the lessor known Floyd classics: More,Umagumma,Obscured by the Clouds, Atom Heart Mother,Meddle,etc.

Now if someone doubts about the depth of Syd Barrett, just check out the video of Jugband Blues in youtube. (Specially if you want to find out why The Wall's Pink was inspired in Syd).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2