80.5 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

A pretty embarrassing contrast...

Before
That's me on the left, Musenfreund on the right

and After

That's me on the left, David on the right

Here is one more after shot from our Online to Onstage minicamp. That's Glen who came down from Canada. A really nice guy and a good singer and player.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I think that calling all those other people embarrassing contrasts is RUDE!! Just kidding Nick. You have really done well. I have not been too good lately, have gained back 5 lbs. of hard earned loss. Damn the BBQ & beer season. You do give inspiration tho so It's back at it and will lose that 5 and the other 5 that didn't get gone. You look super and I'll bet that you feel 10 times better for the biking and weight loss. Good on ya!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Wow, that's awesome, Nick!

I'm just starting on the diet/excercise plan. Started on Monday and have dropped about 3 pounds, mostly all water I suppose. I hope I can post some pics like this a year from now, as well!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

I think that calling all those other people embarrassing contrasts is RUDE!!

I've been called worse. Not lately, though... :wink: And I think it's that picture that I'll use as inspiration to get off my butt and do something instead of thinking about doing something.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Great job Nick!

Do you feel a difference in your breathing habits while singing? Any range changes?

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Well guys and gals, I'm down 23 lbs. Fell of the wagon for a few weeks, didn't gain any weight thank god, but doing well now. Looking good there Nick, keep up the good work, and David, you can do it, we're rootin for ya!!!

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Nick i think you looked cooler before :wink:

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Sin City Sid wrote: I'm down 23 lbs
Good work, SCS! Congrats!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Thanks Sid, I appreciate all the rooting I can get!

I may not be able to lose as fast as Nick, but I'm setting an important goal of "Lose Fifty By Fifty," which will give me a target of one pound a week by next June. So far, I'm on target and I intend to report in on a weekly basis if for no other reason than to get stoked by hearing about everyone else's progress.

And thanks to everyone who takes the time to support the folks on this thread (not to mention the now famous non-smoknig thread).

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Wow, this is really quite a post. Amazing all the stuff I've learned from you guys. This is a very personal issues and glad everyone can "spill the beans."

I don't know much about nutrition, diets and whatnot. Currently I'm 38, 6'2" and weighing in at 215. I've been blessed with a good metabolism but still consume more calories than I burn. If I stopped pounding the light beer I'd probably lose weight.

Still, I've never been on a diet. I try to consume lower amounts of fats because they contain double the calories as protien or carbs. I don't eat peanut butter, butter, ice cream, added oil or salt. Switched to lowfat mayo and diet pop.

I noticed many people talked about water. Water will make you lose weight eventually. If you drink water when you feel a hunger craving it will curb it. Drink tons of water because it's GREAT for the body. Not coffee, not pop, not Capri Sun, simple water. I drink about 6 half liter bottles a day.

But I guess it kinda goes back to what was said about lifestyle changes. Any short-term change can make you lose weight but it' more about how to maintain a certain weight with well-planned eating "rules" and habits.

The whole thought of diets make me jealous of those who are sticks but can eat a whole fridge and stay slim... :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Just wanted to follow up on corbind's good advice re: water, with a common-sense reminder: if you are outdoors exercising (or doing ANYTHING) in this heatwave we're currently having in parts of the US, bring water with you and drink it!

My father-in-law was outside this weekend - swimming, ironically. He cleaned the pool, did his laps, and stayed out doing other things for a while longer. But he didn't have a drop of water to drink. Went back in the house, and collapsed! He was rushed to the hospital via ambulance and subjected to numerous tests, as there's a history of stroke in his family. But the conclusion was that he was simply dehydrated.

So drink up!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Great photos Nick, well done!
Good on you to everyone else who've managed to lose and to those who've started over afresh!
I'm doing ok, not much exercise for a while due to flu season, but back on track the last week and feelin better for it :)

by the way here's a photo of luna park for anyone who might have wondered what luna park meant in my location profile

it'sdown in Sydney

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Nick, in that second photo your waistline looks thinner than mine! Wow!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

dhodge wrote: I'm setting an important goal of "Lose Fifty By Fifty," which will give me a target of one pound a week by next June.

David, how are you doing? Getting started is the hardest part, I know.

After being stuck on a plateau for a while, I got back on the scale today and am happy to report 6 more pounds of adipose tissue gone. I'm going to claim a total loss of 31 pounds since I started early this year.

My original goal was to lose 25 pounds. But I keep revising my goal, because I see how much flabby real estate remains!!! :roll:

At this point, I want to lose at least 10 more, and that still won't make me thin by any means, but it would put me where I was pre-kids, about 17 years ago. Actually, about 20 more would be even better, but that might not be realistic.

Continuing to focus on good health for better living, fresh vegetables and fruits, lean protein, whole grains, exercise, and water.

Oh, and my bad knees sure appreciate the lightened load! :D

How's everybody else out there doing??

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Time for me to get back to it. I stopped keeping track of what I was eating and I didn't ride for two weeks when the temperature here was hovering around 100. I would ride when it's that hot, but I only have one water bottle holder.

I rode every day last week and the good news is I'm still down 40lbs.

I'm going to shoot for a little bit lower target, just under the top of my BMI chart. 180lbs.

That gives me 15 to go and I want it gone by my birthday in December.

ReplyQuote
Page 20 / 35