Pride and Joy

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was so proud of my son last night. I have mentioned him a few times on here. He's my little drummer boy. He is 7 years old and challenged in a number of ways when it comes to learning. But he has been playing drums for a year or so and started taking lessons a couple months ago.

His mother is the type of woman that thinks primarily of herself and hasnt given him much credit for sticking with his drums all this time. Mostly, she thinks of them as a noise maker.

Last night she came to pick him up from my house (where the drums are) and he begged her to listen to him. So he started to play and then got nervous and stopped. He did that a few times. So I popped his Beatles CD into the played and played it through my amp. Immediately he went into drummer mode and played his heart out. It was near perfect and his mothers mouth dropped. She couldnt believe he had gotten so good.

I was so proud of that kid last night. He accomplished something I tried for ten years. To make his mother speachless. It was awsome.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

awesome story Geoo!
thanx for sharing that. it's great to hear the young'uns coming along.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good for him!

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Great story Geoo. Good for him.

Everybody no matter what their capabilities or challenges are have atleast one thing that they excel at and it sounds like you son may have found that at an early enough age to nurture it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

great story, very uplifting. Tell him all your mates on GuitarNoise are rooting for him.

Maybe Mum will let him have a little more freedom now, music is a fantastic thing to get into young. I wish i had!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Kickass! Kinda shows that dedication and hard work often can compensate for whatever bad luck you can run into.

ReplyQuote
(@rocketgirl)
Reputable Member

geoo,

There'd be alot more happy people in the world if they had a dad like you! He's a lucky boy. Rocket.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow great story Geoo, hope he sticks with it, it's something he can enjoy for the rest of his life.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Playing nearly flawless along with Beatles records at age 7 is definitely a great accomplishment!

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That is so cool!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

There'd be alot more happy people in the world if they had a dad like you! He's a lucky boy.

What she said! :D

Jim,

Glad to hear he pulled it out when you stepped up for him so you guys could stick it in her face. Hopefully from now on she will respect what you guys are doing.

Another Day needs a drum track............. :roll:

Oh, played it with the intro and used it again as the outro and instead of ending on the F, I did a slow stum on the C to finalize it. Try it out, it sounds pretty good.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

That was a really heart warming story, thanks for sharing - :)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Another Day needs a drum track............. :roll:

LOL.. He and I dont see eye to eye musically. Might be because I am still nervous when I play around him from the time he told me "ARRGHHH Daddy, will you stop messing up!!" LOL My heart was broken that day. But we still try.

You know what Tracker? I really need to revisit that song. I have been meaning to life keep stepping on me. Glad to hear you are still on it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. You made me feel even more proud than I was. He's a terrific kid.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote