Clear all

Progressive Music

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Topic: Do artists who try to make expirimental and/or progressive music nowadays simply wind up making the same conventionalized expirimental music, namely influences from techno and other post-modern concepts?

Discuss :)

(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Who is this aimed at, precisely? You must have heard something to spark this off, do you mind me asking what it was?

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I was reading the Led Zeppelin edition of Guitar Legends magazine. They had an interview with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck at the same time, and in it they mention Beck's new, expirimental, techno-inspired album. That same day I was reminded of Neil Young's break from his former conventions with his more electronic, louder, techno and device albums while watching the Michael Moore movie.

I realzied that when I hear expirimental rock I think of synthesizers, techno, amps with effects that no serious artist needs, and heavy voice distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

I realzied that when I hear expirimental rock I think of synthesizers, techno, amps with effects that no serious artist needs, and heavy voice distortion.
That's your misconception, though - it doesn't mean other people have the same feeling towards modern prog/alt rock.

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, that's the reason why this thread was started, to find out. And because it is a generalization it doesn't have to be a misconception.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

If it's wrong it does.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I wouldn't lump experimental and progressive in the same basket. To me experimental is using instruments not of the norm or unfamiliar to the artist. Progressive would be using familar instruments in a new way. Of coarse this is just my opinion.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If it's wrong it does.

So you think it's not, well, maybe you'd like to ellaborate?

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I wouldn't lump experimental and progressive in the same basket. To me experimental is using instruments not of the norm or unfamiliar to the artist. Progressive would be using familar instruments in a new way. Of coarse this is just my opinion.

Well there are two logical trails of thought with these terms I can think of. One is to go "I will try new things with this song, and/or not worry about standards and conventions" while another is to say 'I want this to sound unconventional and expirimental." The latter more of a kind of "I want to wear different clothes to be different" kind of thing I assume. Not to say that good music couldn't be made this way, just that it would probably end up with the same way of being different as others have used.

As for the clothes example, I have nothing against this. I do it all the time. Although granted it's more of a wearing whatever feels comfortable no matter how ridiculous it looks. I've worn wearing a sweater made for girls like five days the past couple of weeks. As well as a reddish-purple childish looking winter-hat. (Enough about my poor fashion skills, I jsut thought it needed to be said.)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Progressive music, would be called Progressive if it was mostly the same sounds. Take bands like Tool, Dream Thearte, Yes, Rush. They're are some common elements, but not that many. However there is the more techno'ish side, but I dont' know much about that.
Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote