Skip to content
Really Anoying Comp...

Notifications
Clear all

Really Anoying Comp Problem Please Help!!!!! experts please!

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok so heres the issue....

i have like 65 movie on my computer that i have ripped on from DVD's and converted them to avi's. they have always worked, i have always been able to watch them perfectly fine. Recently though this is not the case. i have Windows Media Player 10. When i click a movie there is a delay before it plays and it says sending request for proper codec then it says error missing codec at the bottom as it plays the movie perfeclty fine. The catch: no audio anymore. I can't here anything. I use the Xvid codec and it has always worked for me perfectly fine. When u right click under "now playing" on your movie and clikc properties it says the codec being used is the Xvid Mpeg4 codec. I have tried re-installing Xvid, Re-installing Windows media play, i have tried removing Xvid and installing the Divx codec, still no luck. I stand now at the point where i have an Xvid Codec and Windows Media player installed. im very frusterated and can't seem o find what is wrong in search all over the internet. The odd part is, is that there are a few AVI files that still work and when you clikc under now playign, on the movie you are viewing to the right and goto properties the codec being used is a Nero decoding Codec- not a Xvid one. I don't believe that this is a random out of the blue occurence i believe it was brought on when an improper codec was installed two days ago and it made my computer go crazy because it didn't no which out of the two codecs to use. This is when everything stopped working. The codec that was installed by mistake was removed, and everything else that has to do with video playback (i think) has been re-installed atleaste once. As for normal mp3's or any other song type liek m4a or .wav they all work fine aswell as .wmv (windows media audio/video files). which would make you think its windows media player, but when i try to play these videos with quicktime or real player i get error messages and they don't even play.

I really hope someone here can help me...

thanks alot if you read that hole thing..

$MAX$

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

uninstall the new codec. Then use system restore.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

first off...i no how to toggle system restore on and off but i dont really understand what it is....2nd off is that for sure the solution? and what exactly do u want me to uninstall? because i only have Xvid installed and i obviously need the codec....

thanks man

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

For clarification, when system restore is on it takes snapshots of your operating system periodically, when you have problems with your computer you can then go in and restore it back to where it was before you started having problems, Restore function will give you an option of what date to restore back to.
2 things to note,
1. you may have problems with any program you installed after the date you restore to.
2. if your system restore has been off you will have no files in it to restore to and cannot use the restore function.
Here is a link to microsoft to explain how to use restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

but why would turning resotre on now fix things?

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

but why would turning resotre on now fix things?
Just turning it on now will not fix the problem but if it was on before you can pick a date to restore back to that was before your problem.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

but i have made alot of very important change to my PC latley would that just undo all that stuff?

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

depends on which restore you pick and when you made the changes.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

the problem turned out to be unrealated to video codec i figured out tho that i was missing a tag 85 audio codec which had somehow been corrupted or damaged and i downloaded one...and voila...everything works again :)

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Happy endings are good. :)

Nice job, detective! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote