Clear all

Remember when?

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

In light of the new feel of this forum section I will start of a non guitar related thread.
I remember when I was young I would drag my wagon 5 miles to the nearest party store picking up bottles to turn in on the way. Back then there was no returnable bottle laws but some where returnable. Long neck beer bottles were 2 cents and returnable soda bottles got you a nickle. By the time i got to the store I had enough for a full size candy bar 5 cents, a 7 ounce bottle of Coke 12 cents (7 for the soda and 5 for deposit) and a bag of penny candy.
I then went home to watch Sir Graves Gastly host the saturday monster movie.
What do you remember from way back then?
Does anyone remember F Troop?

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Does anyone remember F Troop?
Hate to admit it, but yes. Classic, unforgetable television.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i remember when i was a kid and i'd listen to old people reminiscing. ahh, those were the days.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I remember the days before I met my first girlfriend and was happy all the time. I remember coming home from school and watching Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Wheeled Warriors, and Masters of the Universe. Good Days.

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Alright, the best cartoons ever....although I've never heard of wheeled warriors.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I think it was actually called Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. I keep hoping that Boomerang will play the cartoon.

I forgot my favorite....The REAL Ghostbusters. :)

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I am 18 and i still like watching cartoons. :lol:

My favs -

Kids next door
Mask
Flintstones
Scooby doo (only some episodes not all )
Dexter
Droopy the dog
Courage the cowardly dog
Powerpuff girls (lov em :wink: )
The centurions 8)

I also like seeing Giligan's island and ALF :lol: :lol: (occasionally it comes off and on )

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote :D

'An ambush wouldn't be surprising, I hope it's better than your last'
Oh damn, another little known Knopfler song to learn

:evil: :D

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

primeta - BEEP BEEP.Road runner , that wiley coyote is after you.(my teacher was always after me when i was in school :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I remember F Troop. :roll:

I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in Feb. 1964 when I was 9 years old. I was a huge fan after that.

My favorite show when I was a kid was Twilight Zone. I still watch the marathons on the SciFi channel. I think it still one of the best shows ever.

My favorite cartoon was Bugs Bunny. I gotta admit, I am a smart-a-- by nature, and I think Bugs had a lot to do with that. But I liked all those WB cartoons, Daffy Duck, Sylvester (oh Father!), Porky Pig, Foghorn Leghorn (I say, I said, I say there Dog....) Peppy LaPew, Speedy Gonzalez ... those were the best.

I remember Buffalo nickels.

I remember when McDonalds hamburgers were 18 cents each.

The cool toys when I was a kid were the Lionel train sets and the Erector sets. I built a big ferris wheel once that really worked!

Oh yeah, and who can forget The Wild, Wild West? To this very day, many people still call me "Wild, Wild, Wes!" :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Quality kid TV in the 1960's meant Hanna Barbera's Top Cat and The Flintstones. Later we got Scooby Doo, but we didn't get any of those others.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I remember my friend and I holeheartedly believed in bigfoot and UFO's.

Favorite cartoons were Starblazers and Speed Racer. Although I loved watching Woody Woodpecker because they would show Beatles cartoons inbetween and I thought the music was catchy, even though I didnt know who The Bealtes were.

Hanna-Barbara will forever be the end all, be all of cartoons to me.

Musically, I didnt know many bands but my older brother listened to Foghat, Doobie Brothers, Peter Frampton, Styx, and The Eagles. My older sister had me listening to Barry Manalow and Sean Cassidy (which also happened to be my first concert).

Best show of my young age was The Dukes of Hazzard YEEEHAAAWWWW... Ohh and I hated HEE HAW.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Top Cat -- he was my hero when I was a kid!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Ah Westerns!!

Cold winter Saturday evenings here in the UK when I was about 8 to 10 years old. (1961 to 1963 ish) Watching them on a black and white TV with my brothers & Mum & Dad. Sometimes Mum would make toast in front of the open coal fire and (Wait For It) she'd spread the toast with beef dripping and a little salt. Lovely stuff! Or if we were lucky toasted tea cakes & butter.

Laramie
Bronco (Bronco, Bronco Lane) No! not the toilet paper lads & lasses!
Wells Fargo
Tenderfoot (Called Sugarfoot in UK. No idea why)
Bonanza
Wagon Train
Rawhide
Gunsmoke
The Range Rider
Boots & Saddles
Rin Tin Tin
Fury
Roy Rodgers
The Lone Ranger

And there were probably more that I've long forgotten!! and they always seemed to have a Frankie Lane theme song. The hero's were always clean cut and wore their trousers over their boots. The Villans always wore their trousers inside their boots and had horrible moustaches I seem to remember. Strange that!!

Wonderful memories that are rekindled whenever I hear Elton John's track "Roy Rodgers Is Riding Tonight" from the "Yellow Brick Road" album. He captured it all perfectly.

Cheers all,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I remember Christmas being a magical, special time. I remember going to department stores and going to the models section and finding the latest Japanese tank model. I remember watching The Tanks Are Coming and Imitation General and Astro Boy. I remember a segment on Felix The Cat with some little atomic saucer/partical guy who never spoke but zoomed around the universe. I remember the Astro Boy banan flavored toothpaste and Little League practice and those heat injection toys where you put the little plastic granules in the pump, heat it till it melts and then push the stuff into the tank shaped molds.

I remember being disappointed when I got the box of soldiers advertised in the back of comic books and found out that they were flat.

I remember 'playing bass' on my sister's old tennis racket.

I remember the war protests in high school and the Vietnam Moratorium Day.

Lots of things like that...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2