Notifications
Clear all

Rhythm Guitars for Metal

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@maxnorman)
Topic starter  

I play rhythm guitar in a thrash metal band, and I'm currently contemplating upgrading from my LTD EX-400 for several reasons:

The cumbersome and unbalanced shape of the guitar, which has made it hard to play standing up.
The awkward and slow neck.
The muddy sound.
The general cheap quality of the axe.

My budget is around $1000, and so far I've been considering several guitars:

Used Gibson Explorer: I'd probably look for an older one, considering Gibson's recent QC issues.
Schecter C1 Hellraiser: The coiltapped EMGs seem interesting and versatile.
Jackson DKMG Dinky: I like the feeling of Jackson's necks, probably because of their 'compound-radius' design.

I'd be using this guitar live and in the studio, mainly through a Peavey Valveking 100 head.

So, what do you guys think? What are your opinions on the best rhythm guitar in the $1000 range, and why?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't like metal, but i wouldn't recommend coil tapped humbuckers in general. i haven't read a lot of good reviews of people who liked them when they're split. go ahead and try it out, you might like it, those might be an exception. i don't know. don't fall in love with the idea, though.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Well, I have a Schecter C-1+...i know its not the same, but I would put in a positive word for them in general. I think it is a fantastic guitar. I do like the split coils - humbucking on the rear with some distortion is great, then switch to clean, split the coil, and put it on the neck pickup, and you can get a whole different sound. I am not really sure about the others though.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Have you strapped on an Explorer? I find them cumbersome and heavy. I have a Kramer Imperial which is an Explorer clone and it is not comfortable. I have a Jackson and used to have a Schecter and both of those are very comfortable to wear. Either one should give you the sound you need for metal. Have you considered an Epiphone Les Paul?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My budget is around $1000, and so far I've been considering several guitars:

Used Gibson Explorer: I'd probably look for an older one, considering Gibson's recent QC issues.
Schecter C1 Hellraiser: The coiltapped EMGs seem interesting and versatile.
Jackson DKMG Dinky: I like the feeling of Jackson's necks, probably because of their 'compound-radius' design.

Schecter probably wins for quality:

Gibson's QC issues are not a recent phenom, but have been a persistent annoyance for over 25 years.

I've "met" some pretty iffy Jacksons ... and not talking Michael here.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's amazing that they've kept up a high-dollar pricing scheme, and that people are willing to pay it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I guess it's the name on the headstock that matters. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd seriously look at Schecter for the style of music you want to play.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

The awkward and slow neck.
The muddy sound.
The general cheap quality of the axe.

Wow. Where did you get your EX-400?! :shock:

Those 3 attributes are the exact opposite of how would describe that guitar, judging from when I tried it out in the shop! lol
Thought the neck played really nice. Plus it had EMG actives, which are awesome and (owning and LTD myself) I find their build quality to be beyond anything else I've tried...Well, at least I can say that for my LTD MH400 is. :?

Oh well...Each to his own I guess lol

I'm not a fan of Jacksons. They feel cheap to me. However I have been impressed with Schecters. Though the best thing you can do is try them out for yourself. Especially if your gonna spend good money (and isnt all money good?)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow ..... lots of non Jackson fans. The one I have is older though, certainly pre Fender buyout. It is MIJ and has the same style truss rod my Gibson Les Pauls do. It is a Jackson Professional, so maybe that is an issue as well, but it is a very well built guitar. I have seen some of the lower end Jacksons and they did not impress me. I only have good to say about Schecter though, so I suppose that is the place to look.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I vote for the Schecter. :D

Have you looked at Ibanez? Many metal guitarists use those.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm, I have a Jackson Dinky that I don't play much but it's not because it's cheap or anything more because I'm lazy and don't want to mess with the FR. It's not a top of the line guitar I think I paid liek $599 or $699 can't remember but the wife has a Jackson Professional...(I'm not sure what that entails) other than it's a pretty nice guitar and she played in a Hardcore band.

I've tried Schecters and I liked them but never owned one but Jacksons are up there in the world of Heavy Metal.

I'm feelin alot of Jackson haters here though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

+1 for Ibanez.

Lots of metal guitarists use them (me included) and there's good reason. The necks on Ibanez guitars are extremely thin and fast. The S series ibanez have small tapered body styles that are extremely comfortable as well. Go play an Ibanez S series at a store, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

2 things to consider:

I've never been a huge fan of Ibanez stock pickups. I put EMG actives in mine :D
Ibanez seems to have a high nut from factory. You MAY need to lower it depending on the guitar.

You can get a high end Ibanez for your price range. If you had about triple that to spend, I'd recommend a Paul Reed Smith, but Ibanez is going to get you by just fine for your requirements.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You can get a high end Ibanez for your price range. If you had about triple that to spend, I'd recommend a Paul Reed Smith, but Ibanez is going to get you by just fine for your requirements.

PRS SE line might be worth a look. they range from about $400 to $750 street, and seem to be very good Asian-built alternatives to the full price made-in-US versions.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Wow really? I've played a bunch of PRS guitars at shops, but they've all been about $2000 minimum. I personally think that right now, PRS is the most well-made guitar line in the $2000+ price range, especially since new Gibsons have had such bad quality issues. I'm going to go try to find one of these SE's and play it, PRS makes beautiful guitars.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2