Clear all

rogue electric bass?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi, theres a Rogue Electric bass for sale on my local craigslist for $85, wondering if anyone knows anything about them? I'd like to mess around with bass guitar and the price is just right on it...
Here's the only pic they included:

There's also someone selling a RED 2006 BRIDGECRAFT ELECTRIC BASS for $85 OBO that they claim is in near perfect condition for $85 OBO, they say that the tone and volume knobs are a little lose but can be easily fixed. No pic.

Are either of those worth jumping on? I figured for $85 it would be fun to mess around with bass, I've looked at tabs for some songs I'd like to play and they dont look too bad (kc and the sunshine band - boogie shoes).

Also, do you need a specific amp for bass or will a regular electric guitar amp work? All i got right now is a little Fender Frontman 15g.
Thanks

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you can find out which specific model that is, there are lots of reviews at Harmony Central.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/brand/Rogue

You could play a bass through an electric guitar amp, but you won't get a lot of low end. Plus, you don't want to really crank it loud, it could damage the speaker. But if you keep the volume low it will work perfectly fine, and if you tweak the EQ you should be able to get a nice tone until you can invest in a real bass amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll try to get the specific model but the guy that owns this collection said they are both pretty crappy and that I should avoid them...

What about this one: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/935248771.html seems pretty decently priced and comes with a bass amp?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Kid down the street got a similar red Ibanez starter bass. It's not well made and definitely wasn't set up properly, but it's totally acceptable for messing around and learning on. He got a big 15" Peavey amp and it thumps nicely through that. That low-power Behringer amp won't knock down walls though ...

Price could be a bit lower, imho. Offer $165 and see what happens.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Rogue is the MF's house brand of guitars/bass etc.

You may be able to find a better deal on MF. So check that out - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass?N=100001+304263&Ntk=All&Ntt=rogue&Nty=1 .

In any case, good luck with the bass playing !

ReplyQuote
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I emailed the seller of the Ibanez and asked about fret buzz, this is his reply: "The bass is still for sale. There is some fret buzz at the moment but that is likely due to the bass not being tuned in years."

Is fret buzz pretty easy to fix if its not the tuning? I could take my korg ca-30 tuner with me and try tune it up but I'm not entirely sure what fret buzz is, im assuming its when you hit a string and it touches a fret and makes a buzzing sound? Just wondering if I should get this or not if the fret buzz cant be fixed via tuning, maybe offer them $150 for everything and hope i can get it fixed???

As for the behringer, I'm currently playing with headphones anyway, I live in an apartment and its bad enough with our surround sound systems competing, wouldnt want to add my instrument into the mix..

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, fret buzz occurs when you play a note and the string touches a fret higher up the fingerboard causing a buzzing sound. There can be several reasons for this, the action (height of the strings above the fingerboard) could be too low, the neck relief (curvature of the neck) can be wrong, either too much up-curve (like a smile), or too straight which forces the headstock down (like a frown). Occasionally you have uneven frets where a particular fret is higher than the surrounding frets. This is usually more common on cheaper makes.

It is not difficult to properly set up your guitar or bass and you can find instructions online. Here is a site I found.

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote