Roy Buchanan plays the "Messiah" on Nancy Tele

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXoA7JjDU9g&feature=related

I tried playing it on my red Tele made to sound like Roy's a couple of years ago. I always bring out the tune/CD or youtube at Christmas. If I ever get around to it, I have the parts waiting to build a correct color, yellow ash Nancy-caster.

I had company over, and company on the phone, and we were playing it on "Lucille", just another girl-named guitar. :lol: Like Nancy. Good God, we got Lucy crying, but then she always had the blues, if not bipolar. :shock:

Reminds me of when I knew Don Mare at Lace Pickups in Huntington Beach, then on his own, doing a tribute act to Roy. He had Nancy for awhile, took her apart and reproduced the pickups.

http://www.donmarepickups.com/pickupsfortele.html

Hehe, there's Mare's Tweed Monster puppies there too.

So much to choose from in Tele pups. Hope you listen.

Someday, I hope this combo will play together.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OK, when I saw "Nancy Tele" and "Nancy-caster," I interpreted it along the lines of "nancy boys" and wondered if this was going to be some Daisy Rock-like creation? :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, when I saw "Nancy Tele" and "Nancy-caster," I interpreted it along the lines of "nancy boys" and wondered if this was going to be some Daisy Rock-like creation? :lol:

Okay, all right. 8)

Actually here's Roy epitomizing his drinking days, appropriately with his one love that was true to the end. It's "Nancy" the famous, one-and-only '53 Telecaster sitting on the table with him.

That was before he was arrested for public drunkenness and hanged himself in some small and very private or quiet little jail cell in the middle of nowhere.

Yet, he used to have packed house of thousands of people 'round the World. Man, how I love his own cover of Hey Joe (but he is a little weak, and perhaps always under the weather), his jam with Jimi in person (youtube) and even his cover of Neil Young's Down By the River. It's the tiny nuances I like as much as his real playing, when he noodles and tunes his guitar, and you hear his big boom on a chord, with great big tube fullness, miked from a Fender Twin Reverb and a spacey echo.

He had a tragic life, much like Hank Williams or Keith Whitley - laid down some classic performances to be immortalized, yet at the same time, you can see their pain and loneliness.

I never forget Roy at Christmas - hoist him a glass in remembrance, and while we're at it, think of Dan Fogelberg too, and his "Auld Lang Syne"... there's too many to mention, but I am talking about those whom I feel were extra special, sensitive souls. :|

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Roy Buchanan was a terrific player! I knew about his tragic end, but nothing really of his personal life, or of Nancy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote