Clear all

Scale size

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I currently have an Agile Al2000 which has a scale size of 24-3/4". I'm looking for a new guitar (something with real Seymour Duncans in them). I'm primarily looking for SD pickups and a reasonably thin neck. 3 guitars that i've narrowed it down to are: Jackson DK2M,Schecter C1-Blackjack and an ESP EC400 VF. So far i've tried the Jackson and the ESP. The Jackson is nice but i was very impressed with the ESP. On paper the Schecter seems comparable to both these guitars but has a bigger scale size (26-1/2"). ESP has 24-3/4" and the Jackson 25-1/2". In the limited playing time i got on the jackson i did not see any problems with the scale size but is it something i could face in the long term as i play it more? The Schecter seems really nice (Mahagony, lighter, coil tapped, 24 frets) and i wouldn't mind having something other than a Les Paul type guitar. But playability is one of the main reasons i'm going in for a new guitar and i don't want to choose on a whim. I would have bought the ESP in a flash if it weren't so heavy.

Anyway to cut the long story short if i get my hands on a blackjack and i'm happy with the guitar (tone and neck) i'll probably choose it over the ESP. I just want to make sure the scale size wouldn't be a dampener in the long run. I'm just not sure if i'll be able to identify any problems in the limited time i play the instrument in the store. :oops:

Opinions appreciated.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The Blackjack has a 25-1/2" scale. Same as the Jackson.

There's a Blackjack baritone model which has a 26.5" scale; is that what you're thinking of? Different animal.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The Blackjack has a 25-1/2" scale. Same as the Jackson.

There's a Blackjack baritone model which has a 26.5" scale; is that what you're thinking of? Different animal.
That's weird.
http://www.music123.com/Schecter-C-1-Blackjack-Electric-Guitar-518480-i1170760.Music123

shows 26-1/2". I'm confused if they are selling the plain blackjack or the baritone one :o

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, looks like they've got something wrong; either the specs or the guitar! (And it's wrong on Musician's Friend too - no surprise now that they are the same.)

But they do carry the baritone separately, so based on the price I'd say they just made a mistake on the specs.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Go with what feels best, and I bet it's going to be that ESP. In my experience, Jackson necks and Schecter are similar in feel. I have played some nice feeling ESP's. It is often more than scale size. It has to do with how the neck is sculpted. The width, the shape, the radius of the fretboard....

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote