Clear all

School of Rock (not the movie)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any experience with Paul Green's School of Rock? http://www.schoolofrock.com/index.php

They are starting a program for adults in my area and I'm seriously considering it. Thanks.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Why is it named 'School of Rock' ? I mean what's the need to bring the school thing in between. It can just be a guitar workshop.

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, since this is likely to go no where anyway, here it goes.

For me personally the word school has no negative connotations. I did quite well in school and enjoyed it very much. I wish I were still there.

But, to the point, I suspect that, given the generally negative connotations of the word school, it is here used somewhat ironically. That is to say learning to play rock is nothing like being in school and so calling a place of rock and roll musical instruction a school is playfully poking fun at the idea that it actually is one.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Why not call it School of Rock? He beat Jack Black to the punch!

Personally, I hated school and was glad to leave - and like the line from the Steely Dan song, "I'm never going back to my old school." (I couldn't if I wanted to, actually - both schools I attended have been razed to the ground, but that's beside the point.)

But "School of Rock" sounds pretty cool to me - and yes, I did enjoy the film. Pure escapist nonsense, but fun for all that, and the music was good. I'd say go for it, JSnood - might be fun, and you might learn a lot!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I hated school and was glad to leave - and like the line from the Steely Dan song, "I'm never going back to my old school." (I couldn't if I wanted to, actually - both schools I attended have been razed to the ground, but that's beside the point.)
Um, Vic, confession's good for the soul, but only if you're sure the statute of limitations has run.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote