Clear all

Screamers!

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You know, screaming is part of Rock N Roll. I can think of a few great screamers like Paul MacCartney on Revolution or Frank Black of the Pixies on Tame, but man, I've never heard anything like Ted Nugent on MotorCity Madhouse.

Check this video out at 6:19. Trust me, it's worth the wait, I've never heard anybody (at least a man) scream like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRiw4vZxSj4

Have any favorite screamers?? Post a video if you can find it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

From the title I thought that you were posting off topic - even for the "opinions" board. :P

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Robert Cray does some great manic screams on one of his tunes. maybe it's Afraid of the Dark?

OTOH, Steven Tyler should have his screaming license revolked. he's done with that and needs to start singing again.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Ian Gillan of Deep Purple could scream with the best of them !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Screamers! Did you say SCREAMERS???

There's a guy out here in Oz called Jimmy Barnes.

You won't believe it. Terrible voice but whatever it is...at least he's on key.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Ian Gillan gets my vote too, for the screams in Child In Time

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ian Gillian is great but almost too 'opera' for me. I guess that's a compliment, too. Check out these two:

Muse - Microcuts with Mathew Bellamy as the unthroned king of modern rock screaming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXokqiSKi9I

And ofcourse:

Radiohead - Stop Whispering (which was dedicated to the Pixies by Radiohead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECnzN8P6KQ&feature=related

the second clip is kinda odd btw. I've no idea if the guy whose singing in the clip is really Thom Yorke or not, to be honest.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

John Lennon in Well Well Well. He was in Primal Scream Therapy at the time.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

First thing I thought of was Gillan's screaming on "Child In Time".....man, that guy could really belt a song out! There's been a few screamers - you can go back to the early days of r'n'r and check out Little Richard. Back in the 70's, apart from Gillan there was Noddy Holder of Slade - used to be known as "old leatherlungs!"

There are some songs where a scream's become almost the focal point of the song - who can forget Daltrey's scream at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again?" or Joe Cocker's in "Little Help From My Friends?"

But there's one guy I'm surprised Wes didn't mention in the original post, and no-one's brought up since - what about Lennon? From "Twist And Shout" through the (single version of) "Cold Turkey" to the whole "Plastic Ono Band" album when JL was undergoing primal therapy - the album's sometimes known as the "Primal Scream" album.

EDIT - LOL, pipped by Minotaur!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Sammy Hagar screaming on "5150"

Steelheart, a relatively short-lived glam-metal band from the early 1990's had a lead singer named Michael Matijevic who could hit the highest notes I've ever heard.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Screamers? We have several good screamers, for example, Mägo de Oz. They are a hard rock band with some celt influences (very typical in the north of Spain, the celts were in those lands years ago). As a good hard rock band they also play nice ballads:

Mägo de Oz - Gaia

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

anyone mention James Brown? Screamin Jay Hawkins?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Arjen- Hey, those were great songs, enjoyed them both.

Vic- I agree with you, John Lennon was a great screamer and his vocals on Twist and Shout are unbelieveable.

Here is my man Frank Black (or Black Francis) of the Pixies on U Mass. He actually screams way louder on the studio recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9iZQy36Mo

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

For me, its always been Victim of Changes by Judas Priest. Rob Halford lets out the beast on this live album. In this song he belts out two massive screams.
The first @ 2:36
The second@ 6:07 (He screams Victim of Changes)
Every time I hear it, the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote