Clear all

So I have this list

22 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Of songs I used to know, should know or need/want to know.

There's only like 6 artists......maybe some of you are stuck in the same mode.

Here's the list:
Crazy on You, intro & song
Little Martha
Embryonic Journey
Hesitation Blues
Water Song
Before You Accuse Me
Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
Running on Faith
Layla
Vaseline Machine Gun
Busted Bicycle
I Yell at Traffic
Ragamuffin
Fusion of the Five Elements
Java Man
Ritual Dance

I don't know why I'm posting this....probably because I compiled a list of songs I need to play.

I better hurry up, I'm not gettin' any younger. Maybe I'm just mental.....

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I tried writing a similar list once. Then I realised I was just listing every Jimi Hendrix on record. :roll: So, I got into playing jazz. :mrgreen:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I love pickin' acoustic but at the same time I want powerchords & awesome electric tone.......
I feel at times, I should get back to my roots.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got a pretty good list going myself. I use a spreadsheet. Make that a few spreadsheets to help keep them organized. Mostly I play just one guitar arrangements. Lots of strumming and such. I might know a lot of songs, but I don't know any of them note for note as recorded.

And that brings me back to the list(s). Even if I've tried to play something and failed, I put it on a list. I'll make some notes and such. I'll go back through the list every once in a while and see if I can play the song. For songs I can play, the list serves as a reminder.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Ya know...Maybe I should put a list together. I think it would/could help me with song retention. Problem is, I don't know everything I forgot! But me thinks I should at least start working on a list. Yes. I like this idea.

Roy! A spreadsheet? Geez..You're such a DBA. I'm suprized it's not relational! :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have a list that I started keeping way back when I only knew a few songs and just started adding to the list as I went along.

I'm up to about 150+ or so now and at one time I could play pretty much all of them. There were a couple I started but no one else was interested in playing them so I never pursued them much.

Not really sure what real purpose the list serves but it looks good anyway. I can probably play around 30-40 at the moment but most would take a day or so to get back if we decided to start playing them.

Since I play with a bunch of other guys and I'm not a solo performer if we don't play it as a group it tends to get cut out. So my list of songs is mostly what the other guys want to play. I sneak one in here and there but I have a weird taste in music compared to them so I don't get many in. But for the most part I usually end up liking most of the stuff we play.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Dang, I'm impressed. 150+ songs is a lot when you do them close to original as you do.

My list has a lot more than that, but includes a good deal that I cannot yet play how I want to play. for example, I want to play Dire Straits' "Your Latest Trick", and do the sax line on guitar.

crap, I clicked submit for some reason. sorry about that.

My list is actually two lists. I did separate them into piles I at least can somewhat play and ones that I can only do parts of or nothing at all.

As far as reason for the list, it goes back to something Matt had said in another post about song retention. If I can't remember a song's lyrics or chord progression, I sure as heck can't remember the songs I work on. That's where this list comes in handy. It also came in handy when I sent a list of songs I know well to my bass player friend for song selections to play.

Matt, It's almost as if it was. Parts of it anyhow. I enforce some manual rules. :lol: :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Go for it Roy I've done that in a few songs also only because they were such an important part of the song and it would sound off if we didn't play it.

As for the note for note stuff yea we do but when you are playing the rhythms mostly like I am it isn't that difficult and as a matter of fact I wish there was a way to grade song difficulty.

Since we play songs that someone in the group likes they aren't increasing in difficulty and to be honest most of the songs are pretty easy and are probably beginner material or maybe intermediate at best.

I'm trying to think of the most difficult songs for me that we play and other than forgetting a chord here or there maybe the first solo in Hot Rockin. We split the solos' between the two of us and I do the first but they are very short I don't work in it that much cuz we haven't played it alot but I have been playing it a little lately and it's pretty much there although I still need to work on the pinch harmonics he's getting. At least I think that's what they are those squeals when he picks the notes.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Difficulty ratings would be tough. I see some people post on thes boards that they can do solo and lead no problem, but decided they need to learn chords and how tough it is.

I put a couple of attributes on the songs in my lists. Ability. Not anyone elses, but how well do I play it. Also how do I play it. It's almost all Rhythm, of course, but there's an odd one.... I just wiped the slate clean recently. I had not been keeping up with any of the attributes. Just song titles and the artist I am trying to "cover". So, I just prctice away and try to remember to update the list. The reason I do that is so I can easily sort a subset of the list to anyone if they want to know what I play for any common ground stuff. No sense giving them a song that I stink at or don't want to play all that much.

That happened to me with "Come Sail Away" this winter with my badss playing friend. He picked that fro my list. When we got to it, I stunk to holy h***. There was another song too, but I can't remember which one. He picked it, and I knew I would have problems and had to remove it from consideration before he even got here. :oops:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't have a list. Should I? :lol: Me and ThunderFingers hear a song on the radio and go ... that sounds cool. Next time we are jamming we are working on it. Sometimes we learn them, sometimes we figure out the chords and never play them again. I've been playing for a long time so my list would be big. Problem is I can take a song I learned when I was 17 and play it even if I haven't played it in years. Something I learned last week ...... that is another story. :roll: Did I mention I'm 49 1/2? :oops:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

TR you're still a baby you have a long time left to start forgetting things.

Roy there are definitely a few songs on my list that I would have trouble with mostly because I never play them but also because they are more difficult than the rest one that comes to mind is Electric Eye by Judas Priest that one was ont he difficult side when i tried it but never put more than a day or so into it once I knew we weren't going to do the song.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I bet I'd be a much better guitarist right now if I knew all of what TR has forgotten. :lol:

I've often wondered if I'd be much better off just concentrating on a smaller subset of songs. If I had to gig or be in a band, I'd do it for sure. Everytime I think about concentrating on a smaller list I think about how much I dig learning new songs, even at the low quality I play them. There probably is a middle ground somewhere. The latest iteration of my lists system will hopefully help me find that.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

You probably have the same ADD I do. I really find playing songs I know to be boring and I much prefer to be working on a new song even when I try it for the first time and it doesn't sound right I just enjoy the challenge of learning something new/different and sometimes once I've done that I really don't have a real desire to play the song again, well not always but more than I would have thought.

I guess for me it's more about the journey than the destination. Even though I would like to play out with the guys I've been playing with I don't have an overwhelming desire to go out and play in public. I know our bass player and drummer somehow think it's because I'm scared but that's really not it, who knows maybe subconciously I feel unprepared or whatever but I have done it a few times and I wasn't overwhelmed with fear or nerves so I don't really think that's the issue. It's just that all the times we played out it was without our other guitar player and it's just not what I want to do.

Maybe one of these days I'll get a video out there. We have a kind of a new part time drummer that comes by and practices with us on Fridays. He's realted to our drummer and then our current drummer gets to sing without having to worry about playing the drums too. But he shot a video of us playing Use Somebody by kings of Leon one that I sing. I watched it Friday after practice and the video quality wasn't bad but I couldn't really tell what the sound quality was like.

The wife was supposed to tape us with the camera from the public TV station she does work at but couldn't get the equipment last week but maybe this week. Im sure the video will be fine but I worry what the sound will be like...my guess is it won't be that good but hey it's about time you guys got a good laugh at my expense.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Mine is partially natural and partially medication induced. I could be mad about or laugh at it. My scores were so bad that my doctor laughed. :roll:

At any rate, yes, I do enjoy jumping from song to song. I do tend to start off with the same song for a while. Maybe even a few songs. After that, it's to the lists or the folders and see what makes me tick.

Sweet! I can't wait to see and hear the video. I've been tempted a time or two to get some sort of web cam, but I have hard enough time with this guitar thing. Maybe down the road some day.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think it was a Canon camera that also does video. The video quality looked suprisingly good though since we are in the basement and since it's all paneled with dark wood it tends to be a bit dark.

I really want to hear it so I can see how BAD I really sound.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2