Skip to content
So - New Year's Gui...

Notifications
Clear all

So - New Year's Guitar resolutions, anyone?

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Mine is very simple. I will play more, instead of researching every single method to learn without -actually- playing. I got lost into doing so many things at once, and wanting to do them perfectly in the best way possible. Seems quite silly, and it is, because playing's the best way to get better.

Also going to try and write a song. Whenever I get some good ideas, I just shelve them due to practicalities and overall laziness.

Hope the divorce business gets settled soon Cnev, hope no lawyers will be needed in the future: they're always bad luck (I can tell, I'm training to become one).

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

cnev, I hope that whole ordeal is over with this month as the theory suggests and that it's the last bit of unhappiness of that magnitude for many years to come.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Lion I didn't want to use a lawyer but somehow got caught up with one, which as usual was nothing but a waste of my money. So far not to bad though and I've told the lawyer to stop billing hrs.

Anyway Roy the divorce isn't really that bad financially or emotionally, the worst part is I am now alone in the house and that's a bit depressing. I do have the animals but it's not the same as having another person around.

But I have really been out of the dating scene for awhile and as you get older you definitely get set in your ways so at this point it may be difficult to find someone that can put up with me and vice versa, but there are certain benefits I can only get with a partner. I don't do the bar scene much any more so it's gonna be tough.

But I actually forget another musical resolution:

1.) Work on solo skills
2.) Find the tone I've been searching for or get close
3.) Get some shows with the band

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member

I think my resolution is to try and complete a few cover songs using some of the software I've acquired. The practice I'll get using the software will come in handy, and with any luck, it will give me the incentive to try writing an original or two. :)

Tone is subjective.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

worst part is I am now alone in the house and that's a bit depressing. I do have the animals but it's not the same as having another person around.

But I have really been out of the dating scene for awhile and as you get older

"The Lines On My Face" c/2012/rr/TCat

One of my best written tunes...

Cat

PS:
Did ya get the MP3, DOGBITE! CHRIS! It's only fair, I've heard yours!

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

but there are certain benefits I can only get with a partner
3.) Get some shows with the band
Groupies! :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

don't marry one

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

One resolution I SHOULD have made....play every day. I've not made time to pick up a guitar ONCE this year, so far....that has GOT to change!

:( :( :(

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic eight days into the new year and you haven't touched your guitar yet!! What's going on over there, where are your priorities?

Right now that's about all I have to do so I have been playing alot and trying to learn new songs what seems like everyday.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I sit in that same corner often enough, Vic. This is especially true for me now as I need to turn attentions to other instruments for hours on end. But I found that if I start with cleaning the axe...then tuning it...or changing the strings out...I'm keen to do something creative.

For me...and hopefully, it'll work with you...it's when I get new strings on there's an inordinate amount of time spent stressing them and retuning them to pitch as opposed to older strings. My ear strains to hear the clean overtones that last only for an hour if yer lucky on new strings...but they are there and my GBE pickup really shows where the sparkly stuff sits...and the EAD where the ride lives. At least this points me somewhere. For me, it's important to spread out my playing...always with the red light on in ProTools. My mind follows...then my fingers. Review/redo.

Motivation. Tough to keep on top of this one, matey. For me is was "earn or starve".

Cat

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2