Clear all

Some bands you just can't get into.....

151 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@spides)
Estimable Member

hey, like i said, no offense. I think you (Ignar) are an incredibly smart dude. And i totally agree that your english is much better than my dutch. Like I said i was just being facetious, poking a bit of fun as i like to do.

You will probably laugh at my spelling but my girlfriend is dutch and i have learned two things from her.

Hum veger en Blik.
which i think means dust-pan and brush, at least according to her grandfather.

and i'm not even going to attempt the spelling of the last one but its an old proverb. Something to do with getting out of your seat and losing it. Ups beganis plantz beganis or something similar.

your cool Ignar, massive respect, but i like poking fun and sticking up for the unlikely little guy. Don't take anything personally, I've heard the stuff on your myspace and you;re a better player than me, I'm just a cheeky aussie boy.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Haha, cool! Which city is your girl from? I think the first one is 'stoffer en blik' (which according to wiki is also called 'veger en blik' but I've never heared that, strange how such a small country can still have such different dialects). I think this is the first time I ever write that down, come to think of it I haven't even seen one in years! That's going straight into the 'words-to-be-used-for-lyrics file'. The second one is 'opgestaan plaats vergaan' and means just what you said. It's a typical Dutch expression, we use it to steal the seats of people in the train when they go to the toilet, for example. Yup, we sure are a civilised country. :oops:

Btw, don't hold back when posting. I've got 6000 posts, half of them are me spamming my music and the other half is me slinging random insults. If karma exists I've got about 3000 insults waiting for me so join right in. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

sorry, when i say she's dutch her grandfather is. She grew up in australia, but the family ties are very strong and I have met many a dutch relative. I'm not sure which part of holland but I might be able to find out. Thanks for the spelling tips tho! genuinely useful, I'm a little obsessed with other languages, guess thats why i started music.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

strange how such a small country can still have such different dialects

Hah, you should try living in Northern England! In Lancashire, where I live,there are four major towns within a seven or eight mile radius of N-le-W.....and the accents are all different!

In Warrington, if you were asking for directions, you may get told to "Turn righ' at t'ligh's"....in Leigh, "turn reet at t'leets" in St Helens, "turn raht at t'lahts" and in Wigan "turn reight at t'leights!"

Of course, we Newtonians would tell you to turn left at the pub.....or better still, turn left into the pub.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Tool and Primus. Can't tell you how many times people have looked through my CD collection and said "man, you would dig [Tool | Primus]", then they lend me one of their CDs and I listen to it and just say: "meh". I mean, it's not bad, I just don't dig it. I totally don't get what they're seeing in my collection, though, that makes them think I would like these guys. Don't get it.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've liked, at some point in my life, pretty much every band named on here. i've also hated a bunch that i like previously or later on. the really good artists can make me love and hate them simultaneously. there are some that bother me because they've sold a lot of records while being fairly bland or mediocre, but if they weren't famous, they probably wouldn't bother me to hear a couple times.
that being said, i want to punch kaki king in the tits, if i could take a bite out of bono's skull like it was an apple, i would, and flag-waving brain-dead jesus-blowing country singers should be castrated.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

i've liked, at some point in my life, pretty much every band named on here. i've also hated a bunch that i like previously or later on. the really good artists can make me love and hate them simultaneously. there are some that bother me because they've sold a lot of records while being fairly bland or mediocre, but if they weren't famous, they probably wouldn't bother me to hear a couple times.
that being said, i want to punch kaki king in the tits, if i could take a bite out of bono's skull like it was an apple, i would, and flag-waving brain-dead jesus-blowing country singers should be castrated.

pheeeewph. :shock:

Easy soldier. I think that last one offended at least 8 or 9 different demographics.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Stop beating around the bush, Jason, and tell us what you REALLY think.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@fever-and-hum)
Eminent Member

And please, don't think I'm knocking anyone's heroes - I'm just trying to figure out why certain bands and artists don't work for me, whether it's an intellectual thing or more visceral
Vic

For some people, it may be a totally gut feeling for the music. (probably those who can dance :lol: )

It's probably more of an intellectual thing, than a visceral thing. Were it a purely gut reaction to the music, we'd all like the same intrinsic qualities of music, being of the same flesh and bones. As humans, we are hardwired to appreciate certain qualities of music (rhythm, scale intervals, dynamics etc), and form our preferences based on the degree to which these expectations are being met (or surprised). Our music appreciation would also be less discriminatory, because the "higher elements" would not come into play. Didn't some long haired, British bloke from Liverpool say something about a "strong backbeat"...

Socialization, location, age, personality, and familiarity especially-- all determine our preferences.

Mood is another determinant, but mood is ephemeral; and cannot explain why we would claim not to be able to get into certain bands. i.e I'm not always in a pissed off mood, ergo I don't listen to Marilyn Manson 24/7 (or ever :lol: )

Socialization: did mom and dad listen to this music? Does this remind me of someone who liked these tunes?

Age: Certain bands came around at important times in your life? For me, upon hearing Dire Straits, Sultans of Swing, I can teleport myself to my hometown, aged 13. playing Captain Fantastic (I think that's the name of the Elton John pinball machine) in a local restaurant hangout. I'll always LOVE that song. I like Dire Straits other stuff too.

Location: certain bands no doubt have a more specific demographic than others. (Bands like Rush and Tragically Hip appeal much more to (nerdy) young Canadian boys, whereas persons in other countries may be less familiar). Rush fans take it easy. I was a nerdy Canadian boy once, but just got tired of Peart's self-indulgent, contrived, atheistic rantings.

Personality and maturity: outside interests that may be reflected in the lyrics. Sadly to say, a teenager Slayer fan may not live long enough to mature, and appreciate Artie Garfunkel's angelic voice.

Don't record companies target demographic groups with the same intensity as detectives investigating cold case files, or profiling criminals?

I can't get into Radiohead (I haven't really given them a chance I admit)
I've been trying to purge myself of Madonna for years.
Springsteen: he a talented exemplar of Americana; however, I do not feel guilty for not digging his stuff. However, I really like John Mellencamp's music. (once again, it's an age and location thing happening here)
Maroon 5--I really dig Adam Levine's voice; but in very small doses. It's like really rich cake. Delicious but potentially sickening.

Vic, it almost sounds like you feel guilty for not getting into certain bands. i.e that these guys are internationally recognized artistes; and you are questioning why you can't get into these bands like "everybody else". The fact is that we can only listen to one song at a time, and simply don't have all the time in the world to really "get into" some bands.

I really hope I haven't offended anyone.
(I want to get to 10 posts :roll: )

Fever

ReplyQuote
(@fever-and-hum)
Eminent Member

Why would you ever dream of punching kaki king?

Warning: Bono's sunglasses are not removable.

Hum

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that's personal.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Vic, it almost sounds like you feel guilty for not getting into certain bands. i.e that these guys are internationally recognized artistes; and you are questioning why you can't get into these bands like "everybody else". The fact is that we can only listen to one song at a time, and simply don't have all the time in the world to really "get into" some bands.

I agree. Life is too short to sit there and listen to an artist over and over again that you simply don't like. Some people play songs to death to try to force themselves to like them to the point that even the bubbles popping in a bubble bath sound like Purple Haze but only end up saying they 'appreciate' the music. Appreciating someone's music isn't the same as liking it is it? I can appreciate what went into making leftover casserole (which would involve also looking to what went into make the meals the casserole is made of) but I still wouldn't eat it. Why? Because it doesn't taste any better. That's why you can't force yourself to like an artist. You can play a song until you are ready to go ape squirrelly and it won't make a difference unless you are hoping that while listening to it the planets align and cosmic rays hit you causing you to like it.

I tend to ignore those guilt trips. You know the ones that say you should give music a chance before saying you don't like it. It's an altruistic notion but most people will only bring it up if you say you hate an artist they like. Say you hate Jimi Hendrix and you end up tied to a flag pole using one of his posters while All Along The Watchtower plays in the background. Yet if I said William Hung (an American Idol reject) stinks, no one would tell me to buy his album before making a judgment.

I'm aware I've come down hard on Hendrix a lot lately but me and him have reached an understanding: His music can be timeless, appreciated and praised as long as it's played far away from me.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you all can pick on Hendrix, but never pick on my gramma *

*grandmother. she's Italian and can kick you coullo.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I agree that we shouldn't just like bands because lots of other people do. But i would like to know what makes me like a band, in some cases i find myself thinking "this is really well done, i like the lyrics, why do i want to smash the radio?" A bit excessive maybe but i tend to get rather to far into music i like and passionately against any i don't.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In my experience the music I like most is the one I liked less when I first heared it. If I like music a lot the first time I hear it it almost always becomes boring within the week. I believe people instinctly 'can stand' songs they can follow. The more a song deviates from the standard the harder it is to instantly say whether it's your taste or not. After listening more often you'll become better able to judge it and decide if it's good for you or not. With the huge variety of music availlable most won't end up in your favourite lists but a few would, and they tend to end up pretty high on the list.

For me, for example, it took some time to get Vivaldi and Mozart. But now I much better hear what's happening and how themes connect in longer pieces and that adds a dimension I was completely unaware of earlier. Now I can say that Vivaldi is much more my style then Mozart, even though I appreciate both their music a lot, and find, as a composer, both very inspiriring to hear/read. Had I not tried it so much I would have 'kinda appreciated it' and liked neither. A more modern example would be Radiohead's Amnesiac. I found it excessively pretensious and boring initially but now I listen to it a lot. As in two times a day for the past month. I like them much better then I ever did the ones I liked from the beginning and each of these 'excessively pretensious and boring' songs now give me ideas for a truckload of tunes; lyrically, musically and production-wise.

On the other hand there are many examples of bands I tried to like but failed miserably. Like most of the Beach Boys stuff, with the supposedly brilliant Brian Wilson. Most songs still make my teeth hurt every bit as much as they did when I first heared them. A waste of time? Maybe. But to me, personally, the occasional gold mine I run into is worth the weeks of wasted listening time.

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 11