Clear all

Something Sounds Familiar ...

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@cooker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all...anybody care to comment on the RHCP song "Dani California" and how much it sounds like Tom Petty`s "Last Dance With Mary Jane"?

You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm murder for doing that - I find things that sound similar to other songs in everything. Even things that aren't songs :) Hardly suprising really, when it comes to chords at least, and if you're gonna sound like something, Mary Jane's Last Dance is a superb choice :mrgreen:

I haven't got Dani California to hand, but yeah, it reminded me of something I couldn't quite place. Must be about the 17th RHCP song with 'California' in the title in some way or another, too :) I still love 'em, but that one I can take or leave...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I haven't got Dani California to hand, but yeah, it reminded me of something I couldn't quite place. Must be about the 17th RHCP song with 'California' in the title in some way or another, too :) I still love 'em, but that one I can take or leave...

Oye, tell me about it. Try "California songs" by Local H. It gives you a nice counterbalance.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

More like Sweet Home Alabama.

Fits it to a tee (minus a couple of notes) and half way through the solo he plays part of the solo in Sweet Home Alabama!

Coincidence, I think not! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, this afternoon I noticed the powerful resemblance between Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" and Charlie Daniels' "The South's Gonna Do It Again."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Well, this afternoon I noticed the powerful resemblance between Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" and Charlie Daniels' "The South's Gonna Do It Again."

I guess Chuck could probably sue the shit out of a lot of artists :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That's funny you mentioned it actually. Dani California came on in the car the other day, and my sister thought it reminded her of Mary Jane's Last Dance, but it wasn't it, so she was kind of man. After the song was over, the radio DJ says "Doesn't that sound a lot like Mary Jane's Last Dance". He talked about it for a minute or two.

I just thought it was funny because of the timing, I've heard the song probably about 100 times now, and that never even occured to me, and I love Tom Petty's music.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I agree with Mike. The first thing I thought about when I heard Dani California was Sweet Home Alabama. It's weird how the inspiration for the chords in the verse came from a Wu-Tang song.

The verse guitar in Snow that also is on Stadium Arcadium is a must hear by the way.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Everything that uses any of the 12 notes of the chromatic scale is derivative.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Some "musicologist" from Chicago said that Dani California passage is hardly similar enough to ''Mary Jane's Last Dance'' to hold up in court. He said - "The opening parts of both songs have very similar grooves, they use pretty much the same chord progressions and the ways the melodies are patterned are similar. And it pretty much stops there."
If Gabriel can walk away from court having been cleared of 'her' song Dreams being a rip off of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, the Chilis have nothing to fear. In fact, neither does anyone else, no matter what they steal :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I just heard Blur's Country House again recently, and guess what? :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's a cell phone ad running on the radio now with a track that's basically the rhythm part of "Sweet Home Alabama."

ReplyQuote