Spot Check!

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

This question comes up because my wife said the guitar (acoustic) she gave me (my first) was dirty, which they are, so.............. I cleaned it. :shock:

I HATE it!

This (beepin') thing slips and slides all over the (beep beep beep) place!!!

I even saw my own reflection! Oh man,............ I still can't talk about it. :P

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Clean.

The audience does not want to see you playing an instrument that looks disgusting (unless you can play like Rory Gallagher or somethin').

But, if youre not performing...dirty all the way!

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i dont like them really dirty. fingerprints anger me. fretboard gunk is ok, assuming it doesnt look too bad. but if it's shiny, then it looks unused. I usually polish them to a shine when i string em up, but that shine is gone in an hour.

What i really like is the look of a well-loved guitar. one with some good wear on it. My Ibanez is starting to develop an area below the neck 'bucker where my pick hits the body. i like the look of that.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I prefer them dirty, from their heads, to their long slim necks to their solid bodies. I like my guitars like that too.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Maybe he was trying to keep the pickguard from becoming pregnant.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Holy crap Batman there is a plastic film on the pick guard ....

Well there ya go I have had my guitar about 2 years only found out about it .. It's off now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can live in pig stye but don't dirty my guitars , they shine they glisten they they play such beautuful music if you listen ...

Just a pity it's not me playing them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Clean every time for me. A guitar is a beautiful thing and should always be seen at its best. Cleaning it helps create a bond. (Is that sad? :? )

Having said that my guitar teacher has a Fender Strat that has obviously worked hard for its keep. The paint is worn down to bare wood in places, the neck looks grubby and well used and there is even a burn mark on the headstock where in his smoking days he used to wedge his cigarette. It looks very much like it's never been cleaned in its life. :lol: It is a guitar with a lot of character and if he ever comes to sell it I'd definitely be interested. It's a very cool looking axe.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

clean?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I prefer my guitars looking clean but used. I would really like it if they got pregnate cause it would save me some money but I have a feeling both of them are female so....

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Suprisingly - for I am a scruffy git - I like mine clean. I don't mind general wear and tear, or general darkening of maple fretboards for instance, but I'm always polishing smears and fingerprints off my watch, phone screen, monitor, and guitars... shiny things have to be shiny :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ipod, schmipod - anything that doesn't drag and drop MP3s can swing as far as I'm concerned :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I prefer overdrive to clean.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I just cleaned my guitars last week. The Flying V's pickguard was more like a sneeze guard. Now all nice 'n' shiny again... for a week. My Epi LP looks like there's a rust spot on the fret board... that it couldn't be because it's wood, just has the look of rust running from a crack.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I keep the guitars clean, but I think stuff like scratches and paint stripping gives a guitar a pretty cool look.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

Both, actually.

I have one acoustic called "the beatster". That's the one that goes to cookouts and parties, but it is not clean. In fact, its battle scars are proudly displayed. The home acoustic is clean.

I don't gig anymore, but clean is required for that. Half the reason you have lights is so they bounce with brilliance off of your axe! :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2