Clear all

Squier Jagmaster vs Squier '51

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just curious, has anyone played the new retro Jagmaster? I have a blond '51 in layaway, but have thought about looking at getting this instead. I know that they are different animals so it may not be a fair comparison.

Thoughts??

Jim-Bone

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I haven't played a Jagmaster, or a Squier '51 for that matter. I do have a Jaguar though. They are really light and easy to fret due to the 24" scale. Not sure about the pickups on the Jagmaster but the ones are mine are low output. Wouldn't be surprised if the Jagmaster's are also low output. The guitars were meant for surf rock, which distortion is rare. It can get as twangy as a Telecaster with the thin switch.........which the Jagmaster doesn't have........

I would personally choose the Jagmaster over the '51 just because I don't like how the '51 looks. But the '51 does seem to be the more versitile of the two with the coil tap and all. Not quite as informative as you were looking for, but I hope that helps a little.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks OWA! I am going to try to get out this weekend and play a Jagmaster (can't afford the Jaguar) and see how it sounds. How are you liking your Jag?

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My Jaguar has definitely taken the place of my LP as my main axe. Between the circuit switching, tone knob for each circuit, pickup selector and thin switch, there are a lot of sounds that I can get out of it. Definitely give a Jagmaster a play.

ReplyQuote