Notifications
Clear all

squire affinity tele??

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jaguar)
Topic starter  

i own a squire jagmaster, and its not in that great shape at the moment when i bought it one of the humbuckers was not great i always used the neck humbucker which i accidently broke, so now it sounds really quiet and i can only pay it on very distorted tone with the gain right up to get any sound. so ive been playing my acoustic instead and having alot of fun playing it, i really like punk but i listen to lots of diffrent music and have realised i dont have to play loud and distorted to create the music i like to play for example the pixies, the breeders play clean as well as distorted and so do the violent femmes... sooo i was wondering if i bought that tele if i still needed to could i get an distorted sound out of it if i needed to?
as i have to otherwise buy new pickups for my guitar and it keeps coming out of tune so il have to sort that out to i may aswell spent the money (which i dont have very much of) and get the tele cos it sounds like a real good guitar for the price.
chears dan :D

(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Hey jaguar, welcome to GN. One of our long-time members recently got one of the Butterscotch blonde teles. Here is a link to his post.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42708

Sounds like he was pretty happy with it at the start.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my question: when something breaks you throw it out and get something new? a broken humbucker on the Jag is not a big deal to repair. it may be a broken wire or a broken solder connection. both easily repaired. open up the Jag and look inside.
humbuckers are good for a lot of types of music. I agree, as you found out, distortion is not the answer in every song. I like playing clean. found out it is more challenging cause I can't hide my mistakes behind noise.

I have checked out the Affinitys. I think the workmanship is spotty. I didn't like the edges of the fretboard. could have sawed wood with it. another one, but a different color was better. so my advice is too look at as many as you can.
keep in mind that single coils are different than hummers.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I don't play any punk music, but I do enjoy my Squire Tele. (I enjoy punk music, I just don't okay any hard stuff right now) Otherwise, I'm with Dogbite. Change the humbucker. Even if you cannot solder or know no-one who does, a tech will install for maybe a $20 or something along them lines. You can pick up a humbucker cheap at guitar fetish online or other places for as cheap as $25 up to name brands for near $100.

So, fix the Jag and buy a Tele. You'll have many bases covered.
I have checked out the Affinitys. I think the workmanship is spotty. I didn't like the edges of the fretboard. could have sawed wood with it. another one, but a different color was better. so my advice is too look at as many as you can.
keep in mind that single coils are different than hummers.

My MIM does have a slightly smoother neck than the squire, but I lucked out as it's not horrible.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm one of several Squier Tele owners around here, and I think we're all pretty satisfied with what we got! Mine's a fairly top-of-the-range Squier Custom Tele - based on the 72 Custom Tele. Different from the affinity models in that it has two humbuckers. I've found it a great guitar for blues and rock, only marginally inferior to my MIM Fender Tele.

Having owned the Squier for almost four years now, and played it a HELLUVA lot in that time, the plan a couple of years back was to keep the Squier as #1 guitar, and buy another Squier tele for slide - but I fell in love with the MIM Tele. So the Squier got the action raised slightly and these days it's in open G for slide - great raunchy bluesy sound.

There's only one fault I've found with the Squier - the input jack came loose when one of the kids trod on the lead, and pulled the wiring out. I've had it fixed since, obviously, and it sounds just as good as it did when I first bought it. It feels as good as the MIM Tele - the only difference I can find is that the neck's a little thicker between the nut and first fret on the MIM.

The only thing I don't like about the Squier? Seriously - the pickguard doesn't come all the way around the bottom horn! It's a well made, sturdy guitar that'll stand a lot of hard use (and believe me, in my hands it's had PLENTY of hard use!) and take a lot of punishment. It's versatile - you can play anything from Country to Metal on it! - and it doesn't cost the earth. What more could you want from a guitar?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Squire Tele is good but like said above ..... you can fix the Jag!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Another Squier Tele owner here. I've got a Classic Vibe 50's Tele, and it's just shouldered aside the rest of the herd and become THE #1 choice when I reach for a guitar. The only time I don't use her at gigs is when we're playing somewhere with lots of neon or noisy wiring and there's just to much RFI to use a single coil pickup.

I'd get the jagmaster fixed, then think about getting another plank though.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

EMI. You're picking up mainly 60-120 Hz powerline frequency or harmonics thereof with the single coil, not RFI.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

your Jagmaster should be a better guitar than an Affinity Squier. so no matter what you decide to buy, fix the Jag. I play a couple different Teles and never have an issue with clean or dirty styles, except for when gain is cranked up for dirt. then I might need to use middle switch position to cancel magnetic field interference (60 cycle hum and harmonics). both of my Teles are well shielded and can deal with EMI/RFI*.

* continuing down Pedantic Ave: RFI = EMI. despite the term "radio," frequency range is irrelevant. neon lamp interference is broadband, as from a discharge source, so not just an N*60 Hz phenom.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Your pickups are picking up the audible frequency components of that broadband discharge and mainly picking up the magnetic field of the neon transformer or fluorescent ballast. Pickups are first order LC low pass filters, dropping off 3 dB/octave above their resonant frequency, which is why heavily wound humbuckers and such don't even sound "bright" in the AF treble range. They don't do RF well at all.
:D

(I like Pedantic Avenue.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

LC filters are 6 dB/octave. RC and RL are 3. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're right. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

EMI. You're picking up mainly 60-120 Hz powerline frequency or harmonics thereof with the single coil, not RFI.

Roger that. RFI would be when I'm picking up CD chatter on the amp. :oops:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I found another subtle difference between the Squier tele and the Fender Tele - the Squier Tele has the Fender logo on the back of the headstock, the Fender Tele doesn't! Although the Fender Tele does have the Fender logo on all the machine heads - the Squier machine heads are blank.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I found another subtle difference between the Squier tele and the Fender Tele - the Squier Tele has the Fender logo on the back of the headstock, the Fender Tele doesn't! Although the Fender Tele does have the Fender logo on all the machine heads - the Squier machine heads are blank.

Vic

I'm not sure what prompted me, but I just went digging into the ESD for a Styx song called "Too Much Time On My Hands". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2